Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Suburban 1972

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Schwinn Suburban 1972

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-21, 12:31 AM
stormfishing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Schwinn Suburban 1972

hello this is my first post in this group I hope I'm doing it right. I was wondering if anybody could steer me in the right direction for a chain that will work with my 1972 10-speed Suburban. Thank you, Storm
Old 02-02-21, 12:42 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Yes, welcome, and you are doing it right.

I have basically the same question for my 1970s designed bikes - what to choose for 3-speed and 5-speed freehub derailleurs?
Old 02-02-21, 12:46 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Any ol" 3/32 multispeed chain ought to do the trick.
5 & 6 speed chains would be OEM, 7/8 speed would be easy enough to substitute. You'd probably want to avoid 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 (!) speed chains. IME the thin sideplates & shaved down rivets would make the chain too skinny & it could skate/jam between the cogs &/or chainwheel.

I think a KMC Z33 used to be the go to, at around (or under) $10, but I'm not sure if it's still made or not.

Your bike is a 2 by 5 drivetrain. So for the most part it's the "5" in the back that is determining chain width that is appropriate.

Edit: Check PorkChop BMX
Or the Z33 replacement on Amazon

Last edited by base2; 02-02-21 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-02-21, 03:53 AM
Geepig

Originally Posted by base2
Any ol" 3/32 multispeed chain ought to do the trick.
5 & 6 speed chains would be OEM, 7/8 speed would be easy enough to substitute. You'd probably want to avoid 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 (!) speed chains. IME the thin sideplates & shaved down rivets would make the chain too skinny & it could skate/jam between the cogs &/or chainwheel.

I think a KMC Z33 used to be the go to, at around (or under) $10, but I'm not sure if it's still made or not.

Your bike is a 2 by 5 drivetrain. So for the most part it's the "5" in the back that is determining chain width that is appropriate.

Edit: Check PorkChop BMX
Or the Z33 replacement on Amazon
Based on your comments I was considering the Z6 as well, after visiting the KMC website. It should do perfectly, allowing me to swop between my 3-speed and 5-speed rear derailleur wheels

Now I just need to choose something for my single speed coaster brakes.
Old 02-02-21, 09:01 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Most older 3 spd freewheels would want a 1/8"x1/2" chain, generally considered a 1 spd or 3 spd IGH width these days. The move to the narrower 3/32" chains really became common when freewheels grew to 4 or 5 cogs. BTW this chain use wouldn't have had a master link but would have spliced the two ends of the chain together with the chain's own pin.That's early to mid 1960s aprox.

But I question if the OP is talking about a 3 spd der/freewheel gear system and instead a 3 spd IGH (like a Sturmey Archer AW). That type of hub/cog typically can't have a 3/32" wide chain fit onto the 1/8" wide cog teeth. If this is the case then that 1/8" chain could use the often supplied master link as there's no der cage that the chain has to pass through and not get hung up on.

Otherwise the other's advice is solid. Andy
Old 02-02-21, 11:11 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by stormfishing
hello this is my first post in this group I hope I'm doing it right. I was wondering if anybody could steer me in the right direction for a chain that will work with my 1972 10-speed Suburban. Thank you, Storm
As above- any chain advertised for 5-6-7-8-speed systems will be fine with that bike. Any bike shop should have a suitable replacement. A reminder: this era of derailleur chains did not have a master link. The chain was removed and installed by pushing any pin mostly out and back in any location on the chain. This Park Tool page gives good info: Chain Replacement: Derailleur Bikes | Park Tool but you need to ignore the part about "master link" and "connecting link"... because they don't apply to your bike.

You may notice that the chain skips on the smallest sprocket of the rear freewheel after replacement. This is because the old sprocket is worn and the new chain is not. You'll have little choice but to replace the freewheel, which can be problematic on an old Schwinn. Seek out a bike co-op or well established bike shop that knows their way around bikes this old. (I learned the trade in a Schwinn shop in the '80's. I could do this repair in my sleep.)

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 02-03-21, 01:22 AM
Geepig

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Most older 3 spd freewheels would want a 1/8"x1/2" chain, generally considered a 1 spd or 3 spd IGH width these days. The move to the narrower 3/32" chains really became common when freewheels grew to 4 or 5 cogs. BTW this chain use wouldn't have had a master link but would have spliced the two ends of the chain together with the chain's own pin.That's early to mid 1960s aprox.

But I question if the OP is talking about a 3 spd der/freewheel gear system and instead a 3 spd IGH (like a Sturmey Archer AW). That type of hub/cog typically can't have a 3/32" wide chain fit onto the 1/8" wide cog teeth. If this is the case then that 1/8" chain could use the often supplied master link as there's no der cage that the chain has to pass through and not get hung up on.

Otherwise the other's advice is solid. Andy
A bit blurry, just a reference picture I took when I bought my bike.

I lack any digital callipers to measure the chain or the gear spacing, but I spun on my 5-speed freewheel onto the wheel, adjusted the stops and then with the friction lever I was able to get all gears cleanly, even with the ancient chain it came with. The chain on the bike the 5-speed came on looks narrower. I will see if I can find a way of measuring everything.

3-speed
Old 02-12-21, 04:32 PM
stormfishing

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for your response. I'm trying to figure out the chain size and at the same time how to navigate this forum on a cell phone. Does anyone anyone have pictures of the rear derailleur. there's a spring that looks like it snaps into two clips. I'm not sure the exact position that it should be in, and I can't post a picture because I don't have 10 postings yet. it looks like the spring hooks onto something or fits between two the 2 clips. Actually just a picture of the rear derailleur on a vintage Schwinn would help thanks

Last edited by stormfishing; 02-12-21 at 06:32 PM. Reason: I use four grammar and punctuation and upset a senior member
Old 02-12-21, 04:46 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Thank you I'm trying to figure out the chain and had to be in a forum I don't even know if you're going to get this message do you have any pictures of the rear derailleur there's a spring and I'm not sure the exact position that it should be in and I can't post a picture because I don't have 10 postings it looks like the spring hooks onto something or fits between two clips thanks in advance if you even get this
Good god...periods, commas, punctuation...use them! At least make your posts as easy to read as possible.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 02-12-21, 11:13 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Thank you for your response. I'm trying to figure out the chain size and at the same time how to navigate this forum on a cell phone. Does anyone anyone have pictures of the rear derailleur. there's a spring that looks like it snaps into two clips. I'm not sure the exact position that it should be in, and I can't post a picture because I don't have 10 postings yet. it looks like the spring hooks onto something or fits between two the 2 clips. Actually just a picture of the rear derailleur on a vintage Schwinn would help thanks
Disraeli Gears is a good reference site.

Is your derailleur a GT200:
Schwinn GT200 derailleur (disraeligears.co.uk)
or a GT100:
Schwinn GT100 derailleur (disraeligears.co.uk)

If it's the Huret-based GT200, I think there are two separate spring hooks for the tension spring. It was made that way so you can adjust the tension on the chain. Hook the spring to either one- it's your choice.

Old 02-13-21, 07:00 AM
stormfishing

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you
Old 02-14-21, 07:37 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Good god...periods, commas, punctuation...use them! At least make your posts as easy to read as possible.
I'd suggest you save your rant for things like post #15.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...er-frames.html
Old 02-14-21, 09:42 AM
stormfishing

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm new to this forum and used poor punctuation in this post, but the guy that posted #15 in your link used one run on sentence for hours, maybe days. Wow thanks for sharing.
Old 02-14-21, 08:09 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

I'm new to this forum and used poor punctuation in this post, but the guy that posted #15 in your link used one run on sentence for hours, maybe days. Wow thanks for sharing.
With mechanical things as well as people there must be room for things to move. For mechanical things as well as people this goes by the same name: tolerance.

Old 03-02-21, 02:29 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Try to remember that this site is indeed world wide. We have people from all over the world and sometimes, English is not their home language.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 03-02-21, 02:30 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Don't worry about it, not everyone is a perfect as the next guy. You are doing just fine.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.