Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

how to remove Mavic free hub body?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-01-21, 10:55 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts

My free hub is super-stiff, at first I thought the grease had frozen since I was riding 30 miles around sub zero temps. When it it warmer I noticed that the free wheel was no longer "free wheeling" ..alas.
Can't turn the free wheel back wards took off all the sprockets and dripped some Tri-flow in there but what I really wanted to do was blast it with BP Blaster or WD-40 , Tri flow was all i have r/n . Freehub / freewheel body is still stiff and not rotating freely. It is a Mavic SSC Kryserum Exailth something or other w/ Campy Free-hub and S/R ti-sprockets, how do I remove the Mavic free-hub body for cleaning?
I notice there is an allen-bolt screwed into the axel... hmm

Last edited by kraftwerk; 03-02-21 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-01-21, 11:20 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Easiest is to put a 5mm allen in the end of the axle and...I just did one the other day...a 15mm open end or box (I think it's 15) and take the lock nut off. Then pull the freehub off. Go slow or you'll lose the 2 pawls and springs. There's also a washer that goes between the freehub and the hub.
Old 03-02-21, 09:58 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
Mavic use to suggest only mineral oil as the lube inside the FH body. The bodies that use the plastic bushing as the body to hub shell bearing can gum up and/or squeal when other lubes are used. Been there and had to redo that before. Andy
Old 03-02-21, 10:01 AM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Thanks, that makes sense, seems about the only thing to do. Will give it a good cleaning, lube and re-assemble.
What weight should the oil be ?
Sure hope I don't loose the pawls and spring,
hate when things can't be maintained and instead commit harakiri when any attempt is made to clean or repair them.

Last edited by kraftwerk; 03-02-21 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-02-21, 10:11 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
Mineral oil. We use disk brake mineral oil from a few brands, they all have about the same viscosity. Andy
Old 03-02-21, 12:14 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

So this went south pretty fast. Snapped the axel! P.O.S. to work on, just as I feared, & has 'user error' written all over it, the box wrench was too deep went past the lower nut (silver) and caught the top nut (black) so the allen wrench snapped the axle! DUCK!
Okay, so back to the drawing board with this. Can I order a new axel from Mavic? I bet that it's going to be expensive...

EDIT: was able to order it from bikeinn.com for approx. $50 ugh... hopefully it's a smooth install.

Information on wheel: CR0972512
Mavic SLR / KSYRIUM SSC
EXALITH BRAKE PADS ONLY and TRACOMP TECNOLOGY

I think they should've put more thought into engineering/design and less in the branding / names.

Last edited by kraftwerk; 03-02-21 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-02-21, 02:52 PM
cxwrench

I've always hated Mavic wheels...great rims, crap wheels. Stupid 1 bearing freehub that requires near constant maintenance, stupid prorietary hubs/spokes/nipples. Nipples that screw into a big threaded hole in the rim. Bladed and round spokes that are the most un-aerodynamic on the planet. The one thing I always liked was that they're very easy to work on...maybe not every time.
Old 03-02-21, 03:12 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 61 Posts
CX would know much more than me, but is there a chance the locknut is left hand thread?

So you're saying that their freehub is supported by just one set of bearings? If so, I am surprised there are not bent rear axles like in the freewheel days.
Old 03-02-21, 03:22 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by gkamieneski
CX would know much more than me, but is there a chance the locknut is left hand thread?

So you're saying that their freehub is supported by just one set of bearings? If so, I am surprised there are not bent rear axles like in the freewheel days.
I seem to remember it being left hand thread. One single cartridge bearing on the outside(towards the frame) and the plastic bushing on the inside(the hub side). While this makes maintenance easy it means the bushing gets a lot of wear. The first wheel Mavic made, the Helium, had a 2 bearing freehub like everybody else on the planet. When they introduced the Ksyrium they got stupid in a number of ways, the freehub design being only one.
Old 03-02-21, 03:30 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 61 Posts
When I just tore down a Campy freehub, it was the outside cartridge bearing that was toast. The inboard bearing was very smooth and well lubricated. That tells me that Mavics are even further compromised by depending on that outboard bearing. I have yet to see a freehub with any kind of dust cap, rather they seem to rely on the cassette lock ring. Hard to believe that much dirt can get by the lock ring threads. At least that is what i saw.