Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bicycles saved from the Dump (rubbish tip).

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bicycles saved from the Dump (rubbish tip).

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-07, 10:31 PM
ctjohna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bikes. . .

1 Univega
1 motobecane
2 Peugeot Mixtes
1 Peugeot Diamond Frame
1 Armstrong 3 speed
2 Raleigh Woman's 3 Speeds
1 Schwinn Continental
1 Cheapo Hybrid Bike
1 Panasonic Villager II
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
18.jpg (27.2 KB, 125 views)
19.jpg (33.6 KB, 216 views)
Old 11-06-07, 11:16 PM
rickowensis

Bikes: Nishiki Sport 10 spd, Trek 730 MultiTrack hybrid, 1987 Marin Muirwoods, Fuji MT-350, Fuji Sandblaster, Raleigh Sprite and several others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Sianelle;5492778]Ok ladies and gentlemen; Here is a thread especially for those bicycles that have been rescued from roadside rubbish collections, dumpsters, rubbish skips, bottoms of canals, dark dank caves or the local dump. I'll start things rolling with my English 'Wearwell' Club bicycle which was tossed into a rubbish skip by ignorant relatives after the death of its original owner.

Although not yet in the bin, it was offered for FREE before it was to be thrown out after sitting outside for a number of years.
I restored it after a year and finally flipped it 3 wks ago.

https://s205.photobucket.com/albums/b...0Tour%20mixte/
Old 11-07-07, 07:26 AM
thalluga

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here my 72 Schwinn Paramount I found on the trash while walking my dog. It is currently striped down and awaiting paint.
Attached Images
schwinn1.JPG (67.0 KB, 424 views)
Old 11-07-07, 07:50 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by thalluga
Here my 72 Schwinn Paramount I found on the trash while walking my dog. It is currently striped down and awaiting paint.
Paramounts found in the trash while walking the dog make walking the canine worth every step! It's a beauty. What year is it?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 11-07-07, 07:53 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Here my 72 Schwinn Paramount I found on the trash while walking my dog.
People are sometimes so...thoughtless.

Amazing.

East Hill

Last edited by East Hill; 11-07-07 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-07-07, 08:00 AM
Yogurt

Bikes: Formerly...1978 Proteus, 1981 Miyata 912, 1983 Schwinn Paramount, 1962 Raleigh Sports Deluxe, 1976 Alan Super Record.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow... about to go out and walk a yellow lab, wish me luck!
Old 11-07-07, 11:31 AM
thalluga

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, the bike is from 1972. The paint is a bit rough, even though the picture doesn't show it. Shame none of the orginial components are on the bike.

I'm struggling now with the decision to have the frame painted or powder coated. I'd like to have it painted but it is a bit expensive and powder coating is pretty cheap.

On another walk I also recently found a 1972 Schwinn Varsity with all orginial components, I don't have any real interest in the bike but just hated to let it go to the junk yard. I'll post picture of it later.

Here is a is a close up of the lugs, I've since polished. I love the look of a nice lugged frame....

Tracy
Attached Images
schwinn2.JPG (60.3 KB, 300 views)

Last edited by thalluga; 11-07-07 at 11:34 AM. Reason: add a pic
Old 11-07-07, 01:10 PM
rickowensis

Bikes: Nishiki Sport 10 spd, Trek 730 MultiTrack hybrid, 1987 Marin Muirwoods, Fuji MT-350, Fuji Sandblaster, Raleigh Sprite and several others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, the bike is from 1972. The paint is a bit rough, even though the picture doesn't show it. Shame none of the orginial components are on the bike.

I'm struggling now with the decision to have the frame painted or powder coated. I'd like to have it painted but it is a bit expensive and powder coating is pretty cheap.

On another walk I also recently found a 1972 Schwinn Varsity with all orginial components, I don't have any real interest in the bike but just hated to let it go to the junk yard. I'll post picture of it later.

Here is a is a close up of the lugs, I've since polished. I love the look of a nice lugged frame....

Tracy
Tracy,

Beautiful find! I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment regarding lugged frames. Those lugs are a true work of art. I think the presence of lugs and other details is akin to seeing a house with gingerbread trimwork.
A bike would certainly function as well and even be slightly lighter and less costly to produce without the details we cherish. The framemaker's skill in crafting ornate creations of steel is quite obvious.
What isn't obvious but which is innately recognized by us all, is the passion and desire of these craftsmen to bring BEAUTY to the MUNDANE. The presence of these embellishments and flourishes embody the very soul of these ARTISTS who enrich our lives through their work.

The Importance of Beauty

We assign an escalating value to that which is more important to us. Items of rarity, historical significance and beauty are so designated. The items of greatest value quite often embody multiple elements of this perceived value such as revered artworks of the old masters. While items of the utmost rarity are assigned astronomical values, things of beauty touch us most deeply. We appreciate the beauty of nature, we love beautiful cars and we yearn for beautiful mates. The desire to recognize and embrace that feeling gives rise to intense passion for the arts in all forms. It could rightly be said that the appreciation of beauty is a major drive in our lives. It nourishes the soul and lightens our spirit.

Metal sculpting, lugwork in particular as it regards bicycles, showcases man's desire to embrace something ephemeral, oftimes fleeting but always cherished, BEAUTY.

Last edited by rickowensis; 11-07-07 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Revision
Old 11-09-07, 07:35 AM
thalluga

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's the other bike I pulled from the garbage on another walk around the neighborhood, 1972 Schwinn Varsity. I don't have any interest in the bike, just hated to see it go to the dump. I'll probably donate it or perhaps put it on Craigslist as a free bike. Hopefully eitherway it will make it to a good home.
Attached Images
varsity1.JPG (97.8 KB, 227 views)
Old 11-09-07, 09:15 AM
oldfool
Infidel

Bikes: 1976 step thru Schwin 10 speed with fenders, home made20" long bike, '73 Puegeot P-15, several beaters, kids bikes and projects

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep I'm a trash picker. I can't seem to even let the x-mart bikes that the bike snobs turn their noses up at go to the scrap man. But I alway have plenty of parts for repairs and experiments. The pictures are not of a trash pile. Some of the bikes are ridden at least weekly. I like to think of it as the parts department. I seldom have to buy a part.
Attached Images
phto0005.jpg (31.1 KB, 393 views)
phto0011.jpg (29.7 KB, 246 views)
phto0004.jpg (29.6 KB, 186 views)
phto0010.jpg (31.7 KB, 156 views)
phto0001.jpg (29.3 KB, 124 views)
phto0002.jpg (32.8 KB, 112 views)
Old 11-09-07, 03:06 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
That boggles the mind. All I've ever found is a quarter, and not many of those. How on earth does one own a Paramount and not know it's worth something? Perhaps it was the marginal bike of a C&V-er whose spouse didn't share the passion!
Old 11-09-07, 03:40 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
Here's the other bike I pulled from the garbage on another walk around the neighborhood, 1972 Schwinn Varsity. I don't have any interest in the bike, just hated to see it go to the dump. I'll probably donate it or perhaps put it on Craigslist as a free bike. Hopefully eitherway it will make it to a good home.
Nice find.

I've often struggled with the idea of putting up found bikes on CL hoping they go to a good home but I would hate to see it re-listed for $200 a week after I "donated" it to someone. I've seen enough of the bikes I sell re-listed with a 50% markup from what I have sold it for to know that it can happen.

Maybe sell it and put a portion of the proceeds to a charity? Here in Toronto there are 2 different bike co-ops that I have given many found bikes/frames to over the years, so that works for me.
Old 11-09-07, 07:04 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Living as I do in a rural area I often find bikes tossed down in the rubbish tip that've plainly been lurking unloved in somebody's barn. Nothing wrong with somebody clearing out their barn, but aaaaarrrgggh! - the bikes are usually in the middle of a mad tangle of fencing wire, wire netting and old electric fence components.
I've just rescued a red and white gents Phillips and a blue ladies Raleigh Sports while I was at the tip this morning, but what a battle I had to get them free! I can see I'm going to have to get myself a pair of wire cutters to carry on my tricycle because I don't want to have to go through another fight like that again. Every time I thought I'd untangled the last ratty loose end of fencing wire I'd find there was still more threaded through the wheels or the seat springs or anywhere else a length of bent wire can hook onto.
However we did win in the end and candles shall be lit to St Rudge.......
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 11-09-07, 10:55 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by jbonamici
That boggles the mind. How on earth does one own a Paramount and not know it's worth something?
The retail price of a new 1972 Paramount was only $350. If the owner had it banging around the garage for the last 30-40 years, they probably don't have any idea what it was worth. Even if they thought they could get $25 or $50 for it, for a lot of people it's not worth the hassle of running an ad and spending a weekend dealing with it.

A few years ago I bought a near-mint condition Trek 640, Reynolds 531 frame, full Campy Gran Sport group. The previous owner bought 2 new Bontrager tires, hung them over the handlebars, and donated it to a thrift store. I bought it for $22, less than the price of one of the new, unmounted tires. Go figure.
Old 11-10-07, 11:53 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
I suppose that's right; or the bike was purchased by a member of the household who isn't around any more for one reason or another and the person doing the cleanup has no idea about bike values...my perspective is skewed by living near Chicago - it seems like anything with lugs has been vacuumed up, converted to fixed gear (which I don't fundamentally have a problem with) and listed for a couple hundred dollars on CL. We also have guys who drive up and down alleys picking up anything metal to sell as scrap, so finding something ridable in the trash seems sort of far-fetched. Still, I'm going to keep my eyes open when I walk the dog.
Old 11-10-07, 09:44 PM
thebikeguy
Smiling and Waving

Bikes: -

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oldfool,your collection looks alot like mine.Right down to the 50s-60s trike.I too, hate to see bikes going to waste.You're spot on about not buying any parts though.I haven't had to buy anything for the last 12 years of commuting.No tires,cables,Brooks seats,tubes......etc.It is like your own parts dep't.Here's something I put together for this winter's commuting.It's built from 4 trash finds.A 1987(by the date code on the derailleur) mountain bike frame(crank,forks,side-pull brakes,and derailleur),a women's cruiser donated the tires and fenders,a bmx gave up it's seat post,and a middleweight CCM coughed up a seat and handlebars.What I ended up with is a middleweight bike with the durability of a mtn bike.A pleasant surprise.
It's 20 years old.Is it a c or v ?

Last edited by thebikeguy; 11-10-07 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-10-07, 10:15 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
I posted these in the Catch of the Day thread too, but here are two I rescued on the same day - on the same street. Got permission for taking both.

Trek 800, Tange 5 tubing. A few component issues, but nothing I don't have a remedy at hand for.

A 4130 tubed Schwinn Traveler. I've got a business plan in mind for this one already.

Old 11-11-07, 08:58 AM
oldfool
Infidel

Bikes: 1976 step thru Schwin 10 speed with fenders, home made20" long bike, '73 Puegeot P-15, several beaters, kids bikes and projects

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thebikeguy
Oldfool,your collection looks alot like mine.Right down to the 50s-60s trike...................
Yes sir. I have admired your collection in past post. I keep looking for a jewel amongst the rocks but no one here ever buys a nice bike. At least I never see one. The bikes I get are, for the most part, hardly worn just abused and/or left to the ravages of time. Gives me a ready parts supply and I always have wheels.
Nice bike. I would ride that and be proud of it.
Old 11-13-07, 09:44 PM
john Q public

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was trying to sell bikes at a flea market,no luck,some older guy,even older than me,sid he retired from racing but rides twenty miles a day.He has two waterford (new to me) paramounts stored in pieces in his attic.all campy.Says the frames are worth 2400.00 Holy cow!He's not selling and I wasn't buying either.
Old 11-13-07, 11:20 PM
lyeinyoureye
Senior Citizen

Bikes: yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
61 Traveler w/ a torpedo (~1930s?) coaster hub.
Old 11-14-07, 05:44 PM
infinityeye
Nut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
awsome cthulhu avatar!
Old 11-16-07, 08:26 AM
imabeliever1

Bikes: Bicycles, Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 47 Posts
Saved by Pastor Bob

This is the same yellow Varsity that is pictured in Pastor Bob's post. It is now about 10 lbs lighter and has 4 more gears than when it rolled out of Chicago. Solid old bird. May knock a couple more lbs. of her in the future.

Thanks again Bob.

Robert
Attached Images
varsity frt2.jpg (70.1 KB, 186 views)
Old 11-16-07, 12:20 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Glad to help out! A Robin Hood departed for BobHufford and a Lady's Lime Varsity for Big Paulie's wife on DHL today. My new motto should be "Spreading NH Dump Wealth--- Nationwide!"

DHL is the new old bike shipper's best friend!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 11-17-07, 07:42 PM
histbuff1190

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hello, haven't been around in a while but thought you might be interested in my collection of rescued bikes a plum crazy purple huffy rail with all the options and all original, a 1972 raleigh, schwinn fleet with huret speedo (even the horn works!), a schwinn 10 speed racing bike, a very customized western flyer i made for my sister, and there are a few not pictured ive scavenged parts off of. only things ive ever bought new is tubes and tires. love these old bikes! please dont take this as an ad for selling these, but they need a new home. garage is on its way down and i need to either trade these for a commuter bike or money to build one. ebay is evil and i know some of you can appreciate these things. know anyone in the northeastern ohio area interested?
Old 11-17-07, 07:43 PM
histbuff1190

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.