Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can I see your Miyata?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Can I see your Miyata?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-08, 01:00 PM
Burbs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my 610. Almost all original parts. Can anyone tell me what year it is?

https://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2098qz1.jpg
https://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2112nd3.jpg
https://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2105vs2.jpg
https://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2103vu4.jpg

Last edited by Burbs; 10-02-08 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-05-08, 10:03 PM
Burbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No one wants to tell me what year my miyata is. =(
Old 10-05-08, 10:06 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
L should put it somewhere around 1984/1985
Old 10-05-08, 10:08 PM
Antipodes
Who cares, just ride it!

Bikes: 1992ish Davidson Impulse, 1981 Apollo Gran Sport SS, 2006 Salsa Las Cruces, 2010 Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Going on decals alone (the bike is too dark in the pictures to see it really well), my guess is 1981. If look under the bottom bracket, there should be a serial number stamped into the frame. If it starts with a J it is 1981 or very early 1982.
Old 10-06-08, 04:30 AM
sonatageek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Antipodes
Going on decals alone (the bike is too dark in the pictures to see it really well), my guess is 1981. If look under the bottom bracket, there should be a serial number stamped into the frame. If it starts with a J it is 1981 or very early 1982.
It is later than an 81 -- it has canti and not center pull brakes. As was stated earlier, 84/85 most likely. It looks just like the one I have.
Old 10-06-08, 06:11 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
C-mon guys, compromise. It's a 1983 model. 100% certain.
Old 10-06-08, 10:34 AM
hhabca

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I posted pics of these in another thread - now I see there is a 'show your Miyata' thread!

I have a 1987 Team and a 1992 Nine16 (and it is Nine16 not 916 on the decals). I got the Nine16 a few weeks ago off a local ad that had been up for a week - I made the mistake of going to see it (just a look...) and took it home. It was barely used, and is straight out of the 1992 brochure - complete Shimano 600 8spd group with DT shifters.

Both are 60cm by the Miyata charts but they are 58cm ctc seat tubes and fit me perfectly. The Team has a 56cm TT, while the Nine16 is 57, yet the Team has a longer wheelbase, and I think more tire clearance. (The Nine16 is very tight with 23mm tires.) With a 130 stem on the Team I'm sitting just right on it. The Team is better built for sure, and has quicker handling and I think a better ride. The little details on the Nine16 are not as nice as the Team (eg. the BB shell is plain looking) but the Nine16 is a solid frame.

Neither bike was a 'score', but they were good buys for what I paid for them. I really need to get good wheels for the Team (excuse the pie-plate!), and sort out the stem/bars combo for all the bikes I have. I also have too many bikes and need to sell something, but I'm pretty certain that neither of these are going anywhere soon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
team.JPG (89.8 KB, 424 views)
nine16.JPG (90.0 KB, 413 views)
Old 10-06-08, 10:44 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by hhabca
...Both are 60cm by the Miyata charts but they are 58cm ctc seat tubes and fit me perfectly...
That would be because measure frames center-to-top, not center-to-center. Their method of measuring seat tubes is only shown in the catalogs starting circa 1988.
Old 10-13-08, 06:22 PM
salaryman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miyata Team Titanium

My last photo posting attempt was a bust, so here's a really recent photo of my 1992 miyata team titanium, taken this Sunday as I crossed the Ben Franklin Bridge. I think the Velo Orange leather seat and bar covers are a soft complement to the rawness of the titanium and aluminum on this bike.
Old 10-13-08, 06:24 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I just got a 110 but no pics yet since my camera is being a pain...
Old 10-14-08, 01:01 PM
Elev12k

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts
Wow... nice one, salaryman. I have the MTB version of that one. I think I posted it already, but here it is again:

Old 10-14-08, 02:49 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I picked up this Miyata Street Runner at a yard sale. Cool short story. When I stopped at the yard sale sign there where several bikes near the stuff they were selling. I asked if they were selling any bikes. The person running the sale pointed to a relatively new Magna and a Next, "Not those, we're keeping those". Then pointed to the Miyata, "But you can buy that one". My response "Okay".
Its an early hybrid. The frame resemebles a fully lugged road bike with a road crank and chainwheels. The derailers are road bike Suntour AR as well. The friction shifters and bars resemble early mountain bike as do the rims. Check out the extra large brake pads. Interesting bike, kind of heavy with a weight over 30lbs. It has since found a new home, but I thought I should post the pics here.
Attached Images
Miyata Street Runner 001.jpg (96.1 KB, 333 views)
Miyata Street Runner 002.jpg (66.8 KB, 342 views)
Miyata Street Runner 003.jpg (56.9 KB, 335 views)
Miyata Street Runner 006.jpg (91.0 KB, 336 views)
Miyata Street Runner 007.jpg (81.1 KB, 338 views)
Old 11-20-08, 09:15 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
1985 Miyata 210 Touring Bike

The front rack is a Nitto M12 from Velo-Orange. I also went and got the Honjo fenders. They were just too nice not to get.

The Honjo fenders are every bit the pain to install as you may have heard. Measure twice, cut once is definately a good idea with these. I needed to assemble and disassemble the rear twice and the front three times. But the effort was worth it I think. I'm very pleased with the results.

You can also see in the pictures the shiny Sakae stem and handlebars, also polished to a mirror finish just like the cranks. That Craftsman bench mount buffing machine has been fun to use and I learned a lot about polishing from the good old Internet.

And Lamplight, if you are reading this, thank you. Your beautiful Univega was what inspired this build.

Enjoy.

Last edited by High Fist Shin; 11-21-08 at 01:04 AM.
Old 11-21-08, 04:47 PM
Hasek

Bikes: 1997 or 6 Giant Rincon, 2015 Surly LHT, 1999 Schwinn Peloton.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Machin Shin,

Very nice 210 you have there. Those Honjo's definately are looking good. I dropped that envelope in the mail to you this A.M.
Old 11-21-08, 06:17 PM
snappy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here's my miyata 615 ...

hardly anything original left ... but it still says miyata!
Old 11-30-08, 07:49 PM
thrillho

Bikes: 1988 Miyata 712

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread because I finally "finished" my bike. Final piece to come in was a Brooks Swift (love it.) I figured I should post this since there doesn't seem to be a Miyata 712 in this thread (mine's an '88, btw, so I might be pushing the whole "vintage" thing...)

I was never an avid rider, and haven't owned a bike since college, but a buddy got me back into it and helped me find this fella on Craigslist back in July. Been riding it nonstop ever since.

Whoever owned this bike before me looked at it more than they rode it. Damn near NOS. It even had the original 20mm tires on it, which were dried out but barely worn down. Everything is stock except for the tires, bar-tape, and the seat (It originally came with a Selle Italia Mundialita that just murdered my backside.)

50cm frame - One perk about being a smaller guy is a lot of these great vintage steel frames aren't really going to be heavy in my size.

I had originally planned on converting this into a fixie when I got it but decided not to when my buddy threatened to kill me after seeing what good condition the bike was in.

The only bummer about this frame is that since it's my commuter, I'd like to get some 28mm tires on it, but it doesn't look like they'd fit...

Old 12-01-08, 04:49 PM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
1982 Miyata 1000

1982 Miyata 1000.

Freshly spray painted. I took a few snaps before I put on all the racks and other business:

Old 12-02-08, 08:10 PM
4stringking

Bikes: 1986 miyata 110

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here's my '86 one-ten. recently got it as a little project, not to mention i just made the jump to road bikes.
Old 12-03-08, 07:35 AM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Machin Shin
The front rack is a Nitto M12 from Velo-Orange. I also went and got the Honjo fenders. They were just too nice not to get.

The Honjo fenders are every bit the pain to install as you may have heard. Measure twice, cut once is definately a good idea with these. I needed to assemble and disassemble the rear twice and the front three times. But the effort was worth it I think. I'm very pleased with the results.

You can also see in the pictures the shiny Sakae stem and handlebars, also polished to a mirror finish just like the cranks. That Craftsman bench mount buffing machine has been fun to use and I learned a lot about polishing from the good old Internet.

And Lamplight, if you are reading this, thank you. Your beautiful Univega was what inspired this build.

Enjoy.
I'm glad you PMed me because I hadn't looked in C&V in a while. I would have missed your incredible Miyata! I'm glad my Univega was a little inspiration, and I must say that I wish mine was as nice a color as yours! It's also interesting to see what my Miyata 210 could have looked like had I put more effort into it and had it not had as much rust. Please give us another picture when you get your handlebar bag.
Old 12-03-08, 08:36 AM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamplight
I'm glad you PMed me because I hadn't looked in C&V in a while. I would have missed your incredible Miyata! I'm glad my Univega was a little inspiration, and I must say that I wish mine was as nice a color as yours! It's also interesting to see what my Miyata 210 could have looked like had I put more effort into it and had it not had as much rust. Please give us another picture when you get your handlebar bag.
Thanks, Lamplight. As soon as the bag is mounted, I'd be delighted to post some pictures.
Old 12-04-08, 09:57 PM
Stevie B

Bikes: Cinelli, Legnano, Schwinn Paramount, Ron Cooper, Holland, Lighthouse, Miyata 1000, Centurion Pro-Tour, Volkscycle Mark XX.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
1981 Miyata 1000

Howdy,

I'm posting some photos of my 1981 Miyata 1000. I'm hoping to do some touring on this ride come springtime.

Stevie B
Attached Images
Miyata_1k.jpg (101.1 KB, 425 views)
head_tube.jpg (91.6 KB, 370 views)
seat_cluster.jpg (85.2 KB, 372 views)
rear_rack.jpg (98.4 KB, 368 views)
Likes For Stevie B:
Old 12-05-08, 08:47 AM
poorcyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 1985 Miyata 710 (seven ten)

Everything is its original parts in that picture. I got it this summer, best 150 CDN I ever spent! I'm really satisfied with the frame, its in a league of it own compared to steel bikes on the market today. Triple butted!!!

I love how unpretentious it is, I simply ride it. The condition is great! I'm willing to dump a load of cash into it next summer when I upgrade to full SRAM Rival and a sweet wheelset. And the 7 layers of paint Miyata put on it, I have no worries when it comes to scratches!
Attached Images
IMG_1796.jpg (94.7 KB, 400 views)
Old 12-08-08, 06:31 AM
good rats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really should get some pictures of the Miyata Twelve Hundred with Shimano Sante I bought a couple of weeks ago.
Old 12-08-08, 11:26 PM
delver
Toeclips are real

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is my 85 Miyata 1000. I found it in a junk pile and gave one dollar for it. I put the front racks on, taller stem and seatpost, repacked the BB, new chain and brake pads, and an old rando bar. It has the original wheelset, new sealed bearings. I doubt this bike had over five hundred miles on it when I found it. It is a small frame for me, but I like that in a tourer, so it was worth it. I have put several thousand very comfortable miles on it so far. I have been choosing it over my newer touring bike. Just used it to do four hundred fifty miles in the ozark mountains. It is very stable, I hit forty on some downhills and it was great.
Also got an 86 610 in the same pile, it has a sloping top tube which I have not seen in any other 610. It is my spare, for a shorter friend tourer that I can loan out.

Old 12-09-08, 12:48 AM
mudmouse

Bikes: Trek Pilot, X-Caliber WSD, Rockhopper, Allez vita, miyata triplecross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miyata triplecross

Not a good pic, but one from a recent ride. I got her a few years ago for touring. She's a bit of a mutt, but the story was that the frame was NOS & the seller added everything else from another bike to make a tourer for his girlfriend. It ended up not fitting her, so I bought it. She fits me well, and I've taken her on a number of long rides/weekend tours.
kari

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.