Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Just how big is the Miyata Cult?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Just how big is the Miyata Cult?

Old 04-02-10, 09:37 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Nope, 1000's are specifically built for handling the weight of a rider, plus gear for long distance touring, so you're perfectly fine.,,,,BD

Last edited by Bikedued; 04-02-10 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-02-10, 11:19 PM
cia dog
Banned

Bikes: 87 Miyata 512

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bubu
Ok, I think I'm joining the cult as of today. Just bought a 1990 Miayata 1000lt. Perfect bike for my budget, my taste for lugs and steel, good fit for my short torso and arms and I was starting to get into old bikes alot and came across this one. The bike is near new, little scuffs and scratches but I have to really look for them. The guy even threw in some panniers for a couple'o'bucks more. It wasn't dirt cheap, I think I paid what it was worth (350 canadian dollars). I just hope my 220 pounds won't be too much for the bike, I already like it alot and don't want to part with it. Pics are gonna come when it will be cleaned, Evocet original saddle replaced with Brooks b-17 and bike fitted. Oh, one question, how should I threat the interior of the tubes? Rust converter? (there's no rust but I heard it protects...)

In Miyata I trust.
Sounds like a nice bike; I don't think you spend too much for it.

Interior rust is not usually much of a problem over the life of the bike IF you do this. You need to put a thin layer of grease on the seat post and inside the seat tube, then insert the post and wipe off the excess grease, then check to make sure that you see grease in the seat tube binder bolt slot, because thats where water enters in from tire spray. This is the area the most water enters into a frame. If your still paranoid about the slim chance of rust you can get J P Weigle's Frame Saver and remove your crank and bottom bracket and the headset and fork and remove the seat post and spray in every crook and cranny.

I had a 81 Schwinn Traveller that I literally rode through ocean water and surf when I lived in California for 23 years, on top of that it sat outside exposed to weather and rode in rain when I didn't want to ride my other bike. I had this bike from 81 till 04 when I removed the BB to see how bad it was I did find rust, but nothing that would have killed the bike, but since I was moving and it was going to need all new components since the salt water corroded the aluminum I junked it.

My 84 Trek has been rode in rain and there's not rust in it; the Miyata has no rust either but I'm not sure how it was treated prior to me buying it.

The Mercian was custom built for me and I had the folks at Mercian treat it for rust even though I wasn't really worried about it.

You need to decide for yourself if you think rust is going to be an issue, I never found it to be a problem.
Old 04-03-10, 03:03 PM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got the head tube faced and installed a Tange Levin headset today. It's finally turning into something closer to being a bike I still need to find a decent 25.8 seat post.

Old 04-03-10, 04:03 PM
cia dog
Banned

Bikes: 87 Miyata 512

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well i guess one of the Miyata tires may have been too old. It blew out the sidewall today on ride that sounded like a muffled 22, but loud enough that a person sitting in his garage 1/2 block away heard it! good thing I carry a spare tire because my boot wasn't going to fix that. It tore about 1 1/2 inches of side wall out but only a 1/8th inch hole in the tube, so I was able to patch the tube on the side of the road. The guy 1/2 block away came walking over to see if I was ok and needed any help, but I had it handled; he said he never seen anyone carrying a spare tire before and thought it was a great idea.
Old 04-03-10, 04:38 PM
Bubu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have the original Miyata tires ont the new bike, and I'm not too sure about using them, the rubber seems a little dry. Maybe I'll change them just in case I sell one day with original components. I also have to change the stem and handle bars, WHY oh WHY are they so narrow?!? And the stem isn't high enough and too long IMO. Here are first pics of the bike, I'll post details later.

Last edited by Bubu; 04-03-10 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-03-10, 04:48 PM
Elev12k

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinsubaru
I got the head tube faced and installed a Tange Levin headset today. It's finally turning into something closer to being a bike I still need to find a decent 25.8 seat post.

Great you already took off with the build, Kevin. Hope you'll have it finished for the nicest spring rides. The steerer looks kind of long (I hope I haven't trown in a 54cm fork with one of the 56s I sold ). It is setup I personally like btw, a slightly high front end.

You already have the parts ready for it?
Old 04-04-10, 04:43 AM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It will probably miss the finest spring rides, but it will be good for long summer rides and colorful fall rides

I don't have the spacers installed on the headset yet...I need something like 13-14mm. I also prefer a slightly higher perch, so this will work out just fine for me

I've got most of the parts on my other bike. Before I start stripping the other bike, I need to have all of the parts lined up for it so I have minimal down time. Finding a decent 25.8 post is proving to be the hardest part of all of this!
Old 04-04-10, 06:55 PM
SVThis

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 710, 2010 Scott CR! Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just pulled down my wife's ruby red Miyata 110 that's been hanging from the ceiling of the garage for the last 21 years. If this bike has 20 miles on it I'd be surprised. It's starting to clean up real nice. Totally original including the tires and handlebar tape. I'll post up some pictures when I'm done. I bought this bike new along with my 710 back in 84.
Old 04-06-10, 08:31 PM
Shinyville
Semantic Gynmast

Bikes: Electra Townie 8 700c, Breezer Freedom, miyata 615

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been meaning to add this one for a while, and finally remembered to take a photo. I see this Miyata Shredder almost every day on a bike rack about a block from my workplace. It's obviously well loved and ridden a lot.

Old 04-06-10, 08:33 PM
Shinyville
Semantic Gynmast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bubu
I also have the original Miyata tires ont the new bike, and I'm not too sure about using them, the rubber seems a little dry. Maybe I'll change them just in case I sell one day with original components. I also have to change the stem and handle bars, WHY oh WHY are they so narrow?!? And the stem isn't high enough and too long IMO. Here are first pics of the bike, I'll post details later.

If you decide to sell this bike some day with original components, let me know! Seriously. I will totally buy it.
Old 04-06-10, 09:30 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
I have a 310, 2-710s, 2-Alumicrosses, 1-Miyata Racer (circa '70-74). I'll take up some slack for others. (But, I'm likely to be the only Miyata cult member who doesn't want a 1000, ...so perhaps I'm a poser.)
Old 04-07-10, 03:44 PM
Elev12k

Today I had an enjoyable ride in the Schermer area, Holland. My trusty partner was this 1991 Koga-Miyata GentsRacer-Carbolite.

This 1991 frame is little different from the final edition bonded Miyata frame, the generation that was carried from 1993 to 1996.

1991 GentsRacer-C vs 1993 RoadWinner-C >>>

The stays bolt directly to the seatlug on earlier model. Wishbone construction for the later.

Cable routing on top toptube for the earlier model. With the later model the cable runs along the toptube. The guides are integrated in the lugs.

In most other if not all aspects the frames are similar.

Both models share this detail: A tiny 4th tube for the front triangle, fitted between the headlugs.

My GentsRacer-Carbolite borrowed its fork from the FullPro-Carbolite model of the same year. In 1991 this fork was the 1st carbon fork offering for Europe. It is very light, especially for a fork of that era and taking into account it has a steel steerer. I think it weighs a little over 500gr.

Likes For Elev12k:
Old 04-07-10, 09:03 PM
trueno92
Building a better Strida

Bikes: bianchi brava 1988. fuji track 2007, 2006 Bianchi Pista, 1987 Miele and a strida knock off

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kevinsubaru, I really want a full ride report once the bike is assembled! I'm really curious to see how these frames handle sprints and climbs compared to Columbus SP types of stuff!
Soooo tempted for that carbolite right now!! Only thing is I wish there was more material I could read about these! Geometry specs et all!
Old 04-08-10, 04:49 AM
Elev12k

I think the SP frame alone would weigh more that the full GranWinner frameset. Without much doubt the SP would feel more stout. I would think in many cases SP would proove a little overkill for small frames.
Old 04-08-10, 05:06 AM
Elev12k

This is also Miyata >>

1995 Koga-Miyata SkyExpension. The European equivilent of the US Miyata Elevation 12,000 ....in short 'Elev12k'

This bike is originally designed for downhill competition. It was the frame raced to success by flamboyant MTB star Greg Herbold. Frame construction consists of carbon tubing bonded to a aluminium lugs. The tail is made out welded aluminium. The tail were an innovation for '95, as the '93 and '94 models came with brazed steel rear end. Other novelties for '95 were redesigned swing link and slightly raised pivot near bracket. The shock is designed with cooperation of Yamaha.

Specs for my bike are:
XTR m900
Marzocchi DH3 forks
Grafton brakes
Race Face EX Ti stem
Race Face XY setback post
Syncros Ti bar
Mavic ceramic rims
among more high performance stuff of back then

I am currently going through the specs and plan some modifications in the build.
Likes For Elev12k:
Old 04-08-10, 08:21 AM
Elev12k

More SkyExpension

The nightmare of each subtle brazed frames loving person: space age materials, glue and suspension >>

The welded titanium Race Face EX stem >>

I have heard the ti stems were welded by Chris Dekerf for Race Face. The EX was no standard spec for the Koga. Depending on year it was a Syncros Cattleprod or a top off the line ITM offering.

Last edited by Elev12k; 04-08-10 at 08:26 AM.
Likes For Elev12k:
Old 04-19-10, 08:16 PM
Shinyville
Semantic Gynmast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...so psyched about this. I bought a front rack off an old Univega, model unknown--saw a pic of it in a CL posting, and remembering that Miyata made some of the Univega stuff, I wondered if it would match the rear rack that was stock on my 615. And sure enough, it matches quite nicely:

Old 04-21-10, 02:13 AM
king*stink

Bikes: 1973 concord fixie conversion, 2001 canondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Count me in. A sneak peek at what I'm building up. I'll post before and after pics when I'm done. Does anybody have an original 1000 rear wheel you wanna get rid of. It has all the og parts except rear wheel and shifters

Last edited by king*stink; 04-21-10 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-21-10, 07:59 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Shinyville
...so psyched about this. I bought a front rack off an old Univega, model unknown--saw a pic of it in a CL posting, and remembering that Miyata made some of the Univega stuff, I wondered if it would match the rear rack that was stock on my 615. And sure enough, it matches quite nicely:

So beautiful. i would LOVE a bike like that....there are so many cool little details...the copper rivets on the saddle, the bar ends...the racks match the bottle cage match the fenders....so nice. Do you have more pics?
Old 04-21-10, 09:24 AM
no*dice
best friends

Bikes: Albuch Kotter Scapin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
koga miyata will be the next colnago on the lagunw in 2020
Old 04-21-10, 09:27 AM
ahson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my 85' Miyata Ninety. Even though Ninety is the entry level bike but it still rides like a dream. I sold it recently and I will miss it a lot. I am hoping to pick up another Miyata in the future, but a better, higher end model this time.

Old 04-21-10, 10:41 AM
Shinyville
Semantic Gynmast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
So beautiful. i would LOVE a bike like that....there are so many cool little details...the copper rivets on the saddle, the bar ends...the racks match the bottle cage match the fenders....so nice. Do you have more pics?
Ha, thanks! I got really into the styling of the old French randonneur bikes, and I've tried to give it a classic look like those. When I got it, it was totally stock--foam on the handlebars, no fenders, etc. 100 bucks! I added the saddle, fenders, bar tape--the bar ends are wine corks from my favorite local winery, James Arthur Vineyards, which by the way just won for best white wine in the Monterey Wine Competition: https://journalstar.com/news/local/ar...cc4c03286.html

Those extra reflectors on the front wheel are actually 2 light-up things that are green when activated. I have a rear light on the back of the rack on the reflector mounts, another one on the seatpost, and another on my helmet. One front headlight and little bell on the bars, though I'm looking for a reflector-mount light for the front of the new/old front rack, too. Still looks classic while being safe as my daily commuter and errand bike.

Tires are 28 Pasela TGs, which I've been really happy with--I wanted something with puncture resistance and the gumwall look to keep it similar to the original radial tires. Those are pretty worn, but I kept them around just for fun.

All that's left to do is one more bottle cage and some salmon kool stops, (and possibly that front relector-mount light if I can find one), and then I'll leave it alone for a loooong time.

Here's another picture I took after installing the front rack this weekend. The rack isn't in perfect shape--it's a little bent on top--but it'll do nicely, and still is cool for being age appropriate and probably manufactured by the same place as the original rear rack.

And, amusingly, my wife snapped a pic of me and submitted it to this goofy site about a month ago:

https://hotdudesonbikes.com/post/481944451/lincoln-ne

Here's a few more from my morning commute, now with 2nd bottle cage:

Last edited by Shinyville; 04-22-10 at 07:14 AM. Reason: add pics
Old 04-21-10, 08:30 PM
jamesss
jamesss

Bikes: Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1987 912

Just picked up an 87 912!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
miyata..jpg (99.7 KB, 1208 views)
Old 04-22-10, 08:06 AM
ahson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesss
Just picked up an 87 912!
Nice, yours is a beauty!
Old 04-22-10, 03:37 PM
3373jones

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

just converted my (105) 916 to a (ultegra) 918. It is my daily commuter - hence the U-look bracket thing (too much of a pain to carry that separate).

How to upgrade from 105 8 speed to ultegra 9 speed... for free: wait until a smashing deal for a barely used ulgetra spec'ed bike shows up on CL (be patient). Must be cheap enough for you to resell for the same price with 105 8 speed - won't work for every bike. Pounce fast. Switch groups and sell for the price you bought it. free ultegra upgrade. easy as that. The 105 group was in perfect working order, i just wanted a 9 speed and a bike with ultegra came up first. It does still have the original 105 headset and FD though - will upgrade those in time (along with the pedals).

Tires were supposed to be orange. I ordered them online and they sent me yellow ones because orange was out of stock. ugh. Also still need to put bar tape back on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.