Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sekine world's finest bicycle?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sekine world's finest bicycle?

Old 08-23-07, 07:11 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by BanffBikeGirl
Here's the Sekine ladie's utility bike I found recently. It's seen a lot of use and abuse, judging by the paint, the seat post has rusted into the tube, and the rear brake cable is missing. Other than that, it is a very smooth operating bike, with many Shimano parts. I'm guessing that it is from the late 70's. The number from the frame is EV11799, and there is a faded 'Made in Canada' sticker on the seat tube. Could anyone help me to get a more accurate year?
OK, what you have is a model TL35F. As you suggest, it is late 1970s (maybe even very early 1980s). I can't quite make out the rear derailleur model, which would help in narrowing down the age. Or you could just check some of the date codes using the inforamtion on the Component Dates page of the Vintage-Trek website.
Old 08-26-07, 05:29 PM
Coxswain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, everyone. I picked up this bike for free on Craigslist in the hopes of changing it into a bike that I can use to zip around town, since at times I'd like to go faster than I can on my hybrid, and it'd totally suck if my roadie got stolen. Might look into a singlespeed/fixed gear, since that might simplify and cheapen things.

It looks in pretty bad shape, and I can't believe the person I got it from was still riding it to work. He only stopped after the front tube totally burst, but there's plenty of other problems from brakes and cables (Among other things) being all rusted to spokes in the wheels being detached and flailing all over the place.

Those are the main patches of rust on the frame, so I'm hoping it's nothing significant. It's one of the Made in Canada models, and it's got the rhinestone badge on the head tube, so I'm guessing it's one of the lower end models. Serial number is A11 5615.
Old 08-26-07, 09:01 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Coxswain
... It's one of the Made in Canada models, and it's got the rhinestone badge on the head tube, so I'm guessing it's one of the lower end models. Serial number is A11 5615.
It's the base model, an SHA.
Old 08-29-07, 02:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found this board and thread looking for info on this bike for sale in Vancouver. All this history is fascinating.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/bik/408632742.html

Can anyone identify it?

Some info: what looks to be Medialles badge, down tube shifters, rear derailleur is a Shimano Lark (early 70's according to sheldonbrown.com), and chromed fork tips.

thanks

Last edited by .42.; 08-29-07 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-01-07, 08:25 PM
accozzaglia
Velosaurus Ancientus

Bikes: Sekine 1974 SHS-271 (dark red) and Sekine 1975 SHL-270 mixte (forest green). Past: Sekine 1974 SHS-271 (forest green; stolen 2013); Peugeot 103 (red mixte, retired); 1974 Sekine SHS-271 (blue, stolen 2007); 1975 Sekine SHC-270 (green, dead).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sekine city gallery?

[The thread bumps.]

It is the thread that won't die, and there's something that might interest a few of you on here.

I carry a digital camera with me pretty much everywhere I go now. One of the projects I've been working on since the fall began is photographing every single Sekine that I stumble across (and every 70s-era Canadian-built Peugeots, since I'm on the search for a very specific model/colour that I hope to convince the owner to one day sell, but that's for another thread).

For the Sekine frames, I tend to shoot two features: the whole bike where I found it parked, and the serial series on the bottom bracket.

It started out as an accidental project after one of my Sekines was stolen in hopes that I might run across it (close call once, but no cigar). But what's come of it since has been nothing short of amazing (to me, at least). I've seen plenty of SHAs (a couple in sad shape), a couple of nicely cared-for SHBs, many SHCs (with the wide-type labelling), a handful of SHCs (with the art deco labelling), and at least a couple of SHS/SHTs -- but no SHXs (that I'm aware of). I've found one SHA-based women's frame and one SHA-based mixte, too.

I've yet to find one exactly like my 25" SHC forest(?) green daily rider, but I've come close: a beat-up 23" like mine (with the art deco label). But there's a tiny detail difference: my frame lacks that heart-shaped, frame-welded piece upon which the shifters rest, while the 23" beater has it -- as do most Sekines I run across. Does anyone know whether that helps pin down the vintage of the bike? Anyway, I've run into that particular bike in a couple of places, and I've taken advantage of capturing both bikes in the same shot.

If I were to go through my photos and make them a little less large, would there be any interest in posting a gallery of them here on this thread? Or should this thread go dead?

Last edited by accozzaglia; 11-01-07 at 08:31 PM. Reason: copy editing, cleaning up
Old 11-02-07, 10:57 AM
ricohman

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The Sekine thread should never die.
I would also like to see an Apollo thread.
Perhaps I will start one.........
Old 11-02-07, 09:55 PM
skyrider

Bikes: 85 bianchi stelvio, 80s Rossi, 80s Fiori modena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dont let it die. I would love to see those pics .They dont have to be all at once, just to keep the interest up. After all ,thats what were here for. Sekine has a great history and story. Im a proud owner of a $15 sekine that I commuted on through two Canadian winters. Take Care
Old 11-02-07, 10:32 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Once-upon-a-time also had C. Itoh, but it was white.
If I recall, it had a similar saying on the top tube like the Sekine but cannot remember the right wording.
Some guy liked that Itoh, so sold it, at a profit.
Old 11-03-07, 11:47 PM
accozzaglia
Velosaurus Ancientus

Bikes: Sekine 1974 SHS-271 (dark red) and Sekine 1975 SHL-270 mixte (forest green). Past: Sekine 1974 SHS-271 (forest green; stolen 2013); Peugeot 103 (red mixte, retired); 1974 Sekine SHS-271 (blue, stolen 2007); 1975 Sekine SHC-270 (green, dead).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sekine street gallery

[Is there a way to reduce display size from within bikeforums.net? I wanted to resize these to 800x600, but the IMG tags don't seem to allow for options. Thanks.]

Originally Posted by skyrider
Dont let it die. I would love to see those pics .They dont have to be all at once, just to keep the interest up. After all ,thats what were here for. Sekine has a great history and story. Im a proud owner of a $15 sekine that I commuted on through two Canadian winters. Take Care
OK, I'm going to post a couple here now, and every once in awhile, I'll add another to the thread. That way, it'll give you all a chance to not get too overwhelmed all at once. This post will feature two photos, because the first is a shot of my bike next to the closest "sibling" I've run into around town:

Shot last Thursday at university. My bike, the "Great Space Coaster", is the 25-inch, "lime green" SHC model in front, leaned against the more beat-up, fork-modified 23" SHC sibling model that I often run into around town. It's probably a year newer, based on one frame feature that mine lacks: the heart-shaped welded bit along the downtube which "supports" the Shimano Fingertip shifters.

And I think I might have the serial series for the other bike, but it's buried in other photos from probably back in September [my bike's serial begins with Z, so I think that's either 1975 or 1976, give or take]. It'll make an another appearance here later.

One thing I haven't figured out yet is why a minority of Sekines use this art deco type style, whereas all the others use a broad, Eurostile-like type treatment. Sometimes I'll see two models that otherwise look like the same year (based on parts), but the downtube type treatment differs. I've become partial to the art deco ones.

Shot in August. It's the only mixte Sekine I've seen so far, and I'm guessing that they weren't ever that common. And with a colour like "sand", I can totally see why (certainly nothing like the gorgeous offerings by Peugeot from around the same time). This is probably an SHA, given the parts, rear dropouts, and badge.
Old 11-04-07, 12:26 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
Oh yeaf, mine also has those rear stay screw and spring things. What are they?

mike

They're axle stops.
Old 11-05-07, 07:36 AM
skyrider

Bikes: 85 bianchi stelvio, 80s Rossi, 80s Fiori modena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice shot.Check out the forks on your neighbours bike. Looks like upgrades on the wheelset. Nice commuter to buzz around T.O..
Old 11-05-07, 06:04 PM
accozzaglia
Velosaurus Ancientus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skyrider
Nice shot.Check out the forks on your neighbours bike. Looks like upgrades on the wheelset. Nice commuter to buzz around T.O..
In person, it looks like money was put into the wheels and that fork, but little else on the drivetrain. Actually, wouldn't a straight fork replacement comparatively shorten the wheelbase somewhat, affecting centre of gravity and/or stability? I've thought about improved wheels and maybe repurpose the original large-flange hubs (not on the bike at the moment), or just go with a new hub set, but I would like to retain the original fork. Thoughts?
Old 11-12-07, 11:34 AM
suzi stromberg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1977 sekine

Here are some pics of my "fixed up" sekine. I rode it in it's first triathlon- 43kms! It was slower than the newer roadies, but it was smooth, and I enjoyed the ride!! Happy 30th Birthday!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sekine race.jpg (80.8 KB, 280 views)
bike1.jpg (58.6 KB, 259 views)
bike2.jpg (54.8 KB, 227 views)
bike3.jpg (46.1 KB, 221 views)
my bikes.jpg (62.9 KB, 216 views)
Old 11-13-07, 08:20 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by accozzaglia
One thing I haven't figured out yet is why a minority of Sekines use this art deco type style, whereas all the others use a broad, Eurostile-like type treatment. Sometimes I'll see two models that otherwise look like the same year (based on parts), but the downtube type treatment differs. I've become partial to the art deco ones.

Shot in August. It's the only mixte Sekine I've seen so far, and I'm guessing that they weren't ever that common. And with a colour like "sand", I can totally see why (certainly nothing like the gorgeous offerings by Peugeot from around the same time). This is probably an SHA, given the parts, rear dropouts, and badge.
At one time, the difference in the font was a fairly reliable indicator of whether it was a Canadian or Japanese model. However, with shortages and production problems things got mixed up in short order.

The mixte in question is an RL30. Mixtes came in the same color options as the standard frame and around this period there were typically 3 or 4, depending on the exact year. The other options would have been blue, red and green. Sekine offered two colors that were somewhat similar, tan and pearlescent gold. Based on the picture, it is difficult to tell which it is. The latter usually looks off-white and is not very attractive, especially if it not kept clean.

It is true that you do not see very many Sekine mixte. We did not carry them at all and only brought them in on request. There were a couple of reasons. First, the Sekine was slightly more expensive than the competition and the female riders who selected mixte tended to be more casual riders where price was the major factor. Secondly, Sekine offered their mixte frame in only one size, whereas several of their competitors offered more than one, and more importantly, often a slightly smaller size.
Old 11-13-07, 08:39 AM
ricohman

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by suzi stromberg
Here are some pics of my "fixed up" sekine. I rode it in it's first triathlon- 43kms! It was slower than the newer roadies, but it was smooth, and I enjoyed the ride!! Happy 30th Birthday!!!
Your Sekine is very much like the one I picked up recently.
This is my 2nd Sekine and T Mar, I wil send you the serial #.

Old 11-14-07, 03:48 AM
accozzaglia
Velosaurus Ancientus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
At one time, the difference in the font was a fairly reliable indicator of whether it was a Canadian or Japanese model. However, with shortages and production problems things got mixed up in short order.
That tends to make sense. At first, I assumed the wide lettering was intended for the Japanese models. But as I've tallied things with all these photos, the preponderance are the wide letter series, not the art-deco style. Which now makes me think it's the other way around. Still, I've seen at least one, possibly two models with the wide lettering where the markings were not coincident with the "made in Canada" seat tube label.

The mixte in question is an RL30.
This is peculiar. Sekine used a wholly separate model naming regime other than SHx? Do you remember what the other models were, and to which style, size, or time period they were assigned? This isn't anything which I've been able to identify online, so your knowledge here would be valuable.

Mixtes came in the same color options as the standard frame and around this period there were typically 3 or 4, depending on the exact year. The other options would have been blue, red and green.
Funny how we got to talking about mixtes. Just after I posted the tan/sand one (and it was definitely that colour, not a dirty white), I was at the university bike repair workshop working on my bike and noticed that someone else was working on a truing a wheel sporting a very familiar, large-flange hub. I turned around to see from what bike it originated: a white Sekine mixte! It had the SHC-style brake-release levers, the Medialle S-shaped badge, and looked slightly better built than that tan one (I did take photos, and I'll post them as I get to them). The owner said that the bike was picked out of a dumpster in Ottawa. (!)

Also, another note about colours: I've assessed a basic running list of every Sekine colour I've run across so far. Ones conspicuously absent are black* and yellow. Those I've seen:

--> White: mixte, standard women's and standard men's (only in wide-lettered style)
--> Tan: mixte (only in wide-lettered style)
--> off-white/"lemonish"-white: standard men's (only one seen, heavily taped with other colours, no lettering label; reddish-pink-anodized Medialle badge)
--> Bright red: standard men's (in both art deco and wide-lettered style, about a 1:10 ratio of art-deco-to-wide-lettering label frequency)
--> "Royal blue": standard men's (in both; seen three [one being my stolen frame]; 2:1 ratio of labelling frequency; all were SHS/SHT level)
--> "Cobalt" blue: standard men's (seen one, wide-lettering)
--> "Sky" blue: standard men's (seen one [yesterday, actually!], wide-lettering)
--> "Teal"/"peacock" blue: standard men's (seen one, wide-lettering)
--> Bright "lime" green: standard men's (my bike, seen above, along with its "sibling"; 2:1 ratio)
--> "Olive" green metallic: standard men's (seen two, both art-deco lettering)
--> "Forest" green: standard men's (seen one, an SHT, early period model, no lettering present, like removed; distinctly different green compared to the other two greens)

* there was one black model (labelled as "XR 100"), but it was a mysteriously newer, non-Canadian model, possibly 1984 or later. I'll dig up that photo, too, because it looked cheap and strange.

Sekine offered two colors that were somewhat similar, tan and pearlescent gold. Based on the picture, it is difficult to tell which it is. The latter usually looks off-white and is not very attractive, especially if it not kept clean.
Hmmm, I wonder if the pearlescvent gold is the "lemony-white" hue I saw once. For the above photo, I was confident of it being simply "tan" or "sand". The colour made me think it was from about 1979 or 1980 -- back then, tans and camels and browns were the "big" fashion colour trends for a myriad of things (thankfully, it was only a trend).

It is true that you do not see very many Sekine mixte. We did not carry them at all and only brought them in on request. There were a couple of reasons. First, the Sekine was slightly more expensive than the competition and the female riders who selected mixte tended to be more casual riders where price was the major factor.
That's actually quite interesting, and it makes sense, I suppose. Timing is everything, I guess. I kind off wonder how mixtes would have fared had they been a later style innovation, pushing back its heyday by a decade or two. Structurally, they are a stronger build than conventional women's frames, and arguably a lot more visually graceful. Even so, I find they're no less serious than a conventional men's road bike frame when it comes to application (as evidenced by a well-done mixte fixie I saw elsewhere on bikeforums).

Secondly, Sekine offered their mixte frame in only one size, whereas several of their competitors offered more than one, and more importantly, often a slightly smaller size.
Indeed. As a taller female rider, I find that mixtes have that big drawback, remedied only by a very tall seat post and headset. Which works, but isn't the most suitable solution.

Last edited by accozzaglia; 11-14-07 at 04:09 PM. Reason: formatting cleanup
Old 11-14-07, 07:12 AM
T-Mar

That tends to make sense. At first, I assumed the wide lettering was intended for the Japanese models. But as I've tallied things with all these photos, the preponderance are the wide letter series, not the art-deco style. Which now makes me think it's the other way around. Still, I've seen at least one, possibly two models with the wide lettering where the markings were not coincident with the "made in Canada" seat tube label.
As I said, with shortages and production problems, things started to get mixed up.

This is peculiar. Sekine used a wholly separate model naming regime other than SHx? Do you remember what the other models were, and to which style, size, or time period they were assigned? This isn't anything which I've been able to identify online, so your knowledge here would be valuable.
I'm on sabbtical right now, so I can't provide a definitive answer, but circa 1977 Sekine changed all the model designations. Send mr a PM about the middle of Decemeber and I"ll provide more info after accessing my files.

Also, another note about colours: I've assessed a basic running list of every Sekine colour I've run across so far. Ones conspicuously absent are black* and yellow. Those I've seen:

--> White: mixte, standard women's and standard men's (only in wide-lettered style)
--> Tan: mixte (only in wide-lettered style)
--> off-white/"lemonish"-white: standard men's (only one seen, heavily taped with other colours, no lettering label; reddish-pink-anodized Medialle badge)
--> Bright red: standard men's (in both art deco and wide-lettered style, about a 1:10 ratio of art-deco-to-wide-lettering label frequency)
--> "Royal blue": standard men's (in both; seen three [one being my stolen frame]; 2:1 ratio of labelling frequency; all were SHS/SHT level)
--> "Cobalt" blue: standard men's (seen one, wide-lettering)
--> "Sky" blue: standard men's (seen one [yesterday, actually!], wide-lettering)
--> "Teal"/"peacock" blue: standard men's (seen one, wide-lettering)
--> Bright "lime" green: standard men's (my bike, seen above, along with its "sibling"; 2:1 ratio)
--> "Olive" green metallic: standard men's (seen two, both art-deco lettering)
--> "Forest" green: standard men's (seen one, an SHT, early period model, no lettering present, like removed; distinctly different green compared to the other two greens).
Again, I can't provide a definitive answer until mid-December, but there were definitely black models. Also, orange, and two shades of silver/grey. Like the blue and greens, there were also three distinct shades of red.
Old 11-14-07, 11:58 AM
Antipodes
Who cares, just ride it!

Bikes: 1992ish Davidson Impulse, 1981 Apollo Gran Sport SS, 2006 Salsa Las Cruces, 2010 Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Again, I can't provide a definitive answer until mid-December, but there were definitely black models.
There indeed were - I have a black SHC.
Old 11-14-07, 04:15 PM
accozzaglia
Velosaurus Ancientus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leigh30
There indeed were - I have a black SHC.
Whoa. Cool! I'd love to see a picture of it sometime if you'd like to post one here. Is it the wide-lettering version or the art-deco look?

Also, to you and T-Mar: purportedly, there was also a factory-delivered all-chrome version of the SHS/SHT. Someone much earlier on this thread, I think, posted photos of theirs. I have certainly not seen one of these in person.
Old 11-14-07, 05:06 PM
accozzaglia
Velosaurus Ancientus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are two more Sekine shots from around the city:

Shot in October. SHC, I'm all but certain. It's a remarkably pretty colour in the sunlight (less so in the dark, the other time I saw the same bike). And with the art-deco lettering vis-a-vis what my frame has, I've become a bit biased (which is amusing, because I never really liked art-deco letter-cut styles before this).

Shot yesterday. A totally unexpected hue to stumble into. I'll go on a limb here: it's definitely an SHB: diamond badge, quick releases on the brakes, and no indication of Canada on the seat tube label (does that sound about right, T-Mar?). [Edit: Actually, I'm not so sure now. It had the same drive train as the red SHA model you identified at the top of this page, T-Mar, but I thought it might have been an SHB due to the brake cable quick-releases. However, the fork was all one colour, and the crank set was like the aforementioned SHA; also, this model had brazed cable guides and 4-digit/2-digit serial, meaning it's likely newer than my non-brazed model (which starts with "Z" and five digits).]

Last edited by accozzaglia; 11-14-07 at 05:36 PM. Reason: correction on last item.
Old 11-14-07, 05:42 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
"If your Sekine says "world's finest bicycle" on the downtube in place of the brand name then it is of Japanese manufacture and is pre-1973." https://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 11-14-07, 09:01 PM
accozzaglia
Velosaurus Ancientus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's correct, ilikebikes. T-Mar and another poster mentioned this at the beginning of this thread. The link to that web site you mentioned is a valuable resource for Sekines, mostly because so little information is available elsewhere online.
Old 11-14-07, 09:02 PM
Antipodes
Who cares, just ride it!

Bikes: 1992ish Davidson Impulse, 1981 Apollo Gran Sport SS, 2006 Salsa Las Cruces, 2010 Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Whoa. Cool! I'd love to see a picture of it sometime if you'd like to post one here. Is it the wide-lettering version or the art-deco look?
Wide-lettering model, built up as a three speed.
Here's a picture of it:

It is a lot different now. Stem has been changed for a longer flatter one. Bars changed out for a less exaggerated version of an arc bar (flat bar with back bend). Mudguards added. I will update the photo at some stage...
Old 11-14-07, 10:55 PM
accozzaglia
Velosaurus Ancientus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leigh30
Wide-lettering model, built up as a three speed.
It is a lot different now. Stem has been changed for a longer flatter one. Bars changed out for a less exaggerated version of an arc bar (flat bar with back bend). Mudguards added. I will update the photo at some stage...
Black. WOW. Amazing. Thanks so much!

[Quickly, I'm becoming a serious Sekine geek, though I'm not sure why.]
Old 11-14-07, 11:12 PM
ricohman

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ilikebikes
"If your Sekine says "world's finest bicycle" on the downtube in place of the brand name then it is of Japanese manufacture and is pre-1973." https://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN
There are some discrepancies on that site though.
It says the the low end models had no quick release. Mine does.
And the headbadges don't jive with the model he quoted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.