Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Asking for a new fit

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Asking for a new fit

Old 10-17-13, 08:45 AM
Netazah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Asking for a new fit

Wanted to get other's opinion on this. I bought a new bike, Felt Z5, and had it fit at the beginning of the summer after plenty of riding. Since then I have gone back and forth with the LBS to tweak things here and there. However I got some nasty Achilles pain after a hot 60 mile ride with lots of climbing and it hasn't gone away despite several adjustments. Taking some time off the bike to fully recover but the whole thing has left me wondering how good a job the initial fit was. My question is, what's the etiquette to ask about doing a full fit over again?
Old 10-17-13, 09:22 AM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
some bike shop fittings are very basic compared to what some call a "pro fit". The shop I go to is not nearly as in depth as one of the others that does the fittings that take hours. I know it may be more money but maybe you should look into getting a fit by someone who is really good at it. Sometimes the guy from the sales floor at the shop or the mechanic can "ball park" it, but not get everything right.
Old 10-17-13, 09:33 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
How much did you pay for your "fit"?

Consider the advice of Sheldon: https://sheldonbrown.com/pain.html#achilles
Old 10-17-13, 11:54 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Netazah
Wanted to get other's opinion on this. I bought a new bike, Felt Z5, and had it fit at the beginning of the summer after plenty of riding. Since then I have gone back and forth with the LBS to tweak things here and there. However I got some nasty Achilles pain after a hot 60 mile ride with lots of climbing and it hasn't gone away despite several adjustments. Taking some time off the bike to fully recover but the whole thing has left me wondering how good a job the initial fit was. My question is, what's the etiquette to ask about doing a full fit over again?
I would try things on my own rather than use the shop, unless they charged you a lot for the fit. A $400 fit ought to be worth a couple follow ups (if they're even necessary), a free fit is really to get you going.

Achilles pain will NOT go away until it's healed. Riding with tendon pain is not a great way of letting the tendon heal.

Finally adjustments done willy nilly won't get you into a solid position where your body is acclimated to the fit. You need to decide on something, make sure it's pain/injury free, then go from there. If it's pain/injury free then you can experiment. Back off when there's any kind of pain/injury that's not just muscles being used differently. Typically joint pain (knee, ankle, hips) is bad, muscle soreness is not.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 10-17-13, 03:26 PM
Netazah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys. The fit was supposed to be $150 but ended up not being charged thanks to a good relationship with the LBS. Carpe, totally agree about letting it heal completely. I stupidly pushed it to do my first century and now I'm paying the price.

I don't mean to badmouth the LBS. They did a good job and did exactly what you're talking about; come in and talk, make a small adjustment, go ride for a couple days, repeat. I just kindof want to start the whole thing over again just to make sure nothing was missed.
Old 10-18-13, 05:57 PM
advicepig

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please keep in mind that even with a perfect fit, you can get assorted aches and pains if you push yourself to hard too quickly.