Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

State 4130 experience?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

State 4130 experience?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-24, 02:53 PM
BT7274

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
State 4130 experience?

Has anyone here ridden the State 4130 fixed? It looks like it's a burlier frame.
Old 02-09-24, 08:34 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
It isn't a good bike. Zack review it some time back. It wasn't great.
Old 02-09-24, 11:42 AM
highandlowrpm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Not with 4130, can comment on 6061

Originally Posted by BT7274
Has anyone here ridden the State 4130 fixed? It looks like it's a burlier frame.
Not with 4130, can comment on State Black Label 6061 v2. Have had a GREAT experience with the 6061 v2. Over 1000 miles on it, do regular 40-60 mile club rides, gotten it up to 46 mph, and do a mix of hill climbing and fast descents. Rock solid. New v3 seems a little beefier, but slightly heavier.
Likes For highandlowrpm:
Old 02-10-24, 08:29 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
I think it's going to come down to what you want to do with the bike.
TBH...it should be ideal for casual rides. The matte olive with All-road drop bars looks decent for ~$550USD
Old 02-15-24, 01:32 AM
BT7274

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
It isn't a good bike. Zack review it some time back. It wasn't great.
Can you post q link? I looked, and all I found was him reviewing the Core and the older style 4130 on YouTube.
Old 02-15-24, 07:04 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by highandlowrpm
Not with 4130, can comment on State Black Label 6061 v2. Have had a GREAT experience with the 6061 v2. Over 1000 miles on it, do regular 40-60 mile club rides, gotten it up to 46 mph, and do a mix of hill climbing and fast descents. Rock solid. New v3 seems a little beefier, but slightly heavier.
I also have the Black Label and like the ride. RE: 4130, its a choice of 4130 chromoly vs 6061 aluminium. The cromo is more durable, can be cold set, and many love the more comfortable ride of steel. The 6061 frame is more expensive, lighter and stiffer which would be better for SS track riding and sprinting.
Old 03-01-24, 05:36 PM
Torelli4

Bikes: 1995 Torelli Corsa Strada 2021 State 4130

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't waste your money. I had Wabi and sold it foolishly. I bought a State 4130 during Covid because I couldn't get a Wabi. The State is a real tank.

Mike
Old 03-09-24, 09:02 PM
BabyWabyBMX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't buy a new or complete one. The frame itself is not heavy and is well made, but not the parts standard on their completea. I would Imagine that most complaints about its weight are due to those basic parts state puts on their bikes. The frame itself is under 3lbs and made from heavily butted chromoly steel. A lot of effort went into ensuring the tubing was made to these specs, probably in an attempt to appeal to the aluminum enthusists. Welds are strong and dropouts, bottom bracket and head tube are all made with thicker pieces. I personally will only ever ride steel frames as they're always going to be able to handle far more abuse and steel can ALWAYS be fixed or welded so long as you're willing to pay for it in cash money or time. I just sold a clean 4130 frame and fork set for $60-65, although it was primer black, it was free of dents and rust. Save yourself 4 bills and find a frame for sale. Save yourself the money and hassle of replacing all the parts on it over time as they either fail or you just get sick of its factory weight and basic color schemes. I'm sure you can find a frame for under 100, and build your next fixie off that. I bet you still spend 100-200 less than if you bought a complete from state bikes.
Old 03-10-24, 08:53 AM
BT7274

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BabyWabyBMX
Don't buy a new or complete one. The frame itself is not heavy and is well made, but not the parts standard on their completea. I would Imagine that most complaints about its weight are due to those basic parts state puts on their bikes. The frame itself is under 3lbs and made from heavily butted chromoly steel. A lot of effort went into ensuring the tubing was made to these specs, probably in an attempt to appeal to the aluminum enthusists. Welds are strong and dropouts, bottom bracket and head tube are all made with thicker pieces. I personally will only ever ride steel frames as they're always going to be able to handle far more abuse and steel can ALWAYS be fixed or welded so long as you're willing to pay for it in cash money or time. I just sold a clean 4130 frame and fork set for $60-65, although it was primer black, it was free of dents and rust. Save yourself 4 bills and find a frame for sale. Save yourself the money and hassle of replacing all the parts on it over time as they either fail or you just get sick of its factory weight and basic color schemes. I'm sure you can find a frame for under 100, and build your next fixie off that. I bet you still spend 100-200 less than if you bought a complete from state bikes.
Hows the geo on these things? I'm 5"5 and I saw the top tubes were long, like 54cm or something. It looks like a frame friendlier to risers than drop bars.
Old 03-12-24, 10:16 AM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
My wife has one and it's a fine commuter bike. Feels pretty heavy but meh, doesn't really matter. Pretty sure it was as heavy as my old Kilo TT. Mind you we only got the State because we got a big discount at the time.
Old 03-12-24, 01:55 PM
BT7274

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaytron
My wife has one and it's a fine commuter bike. Feels pretty heavy but meh, doesn't really matter. Pretty sure it was as heavy as my old Kilo TT. Mind you we only got the State because we got a big discount at the time.
I think I may just snap up a Kilo TT frame instead. The State looks like its geared more for singlespeed gravel riding, and has a lot.of provisions, which is great. But if I want that sort of utilitarianism I'd just get a Straggler or CrossCheck.