Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Getting "dissed" while riding

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Getting "dissed" while riding

Old 05-01-15, 08:56 AM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by a77impala
I'm going to disagree with your guess here, a college degree never gave anyone an ounce of common sense! A superiority complex maybe!
Well put, and you are right, now that I have thought it over.

This has been an interesting thread, but there has been one demographic that has not been discussed. "Honda Chicks". Honda Chick is a female, late teens to late twenties,
(Big window there) who is always speeding from point A to point B in her Honda. Could also be something from the Acura line. Honda Chick knows the very latest fashion trends,
and spends a lot of time at the mall. She also knows all about what's happening on "Dancing with the Stars", what is up to the minute on what the Kardashians are doing. (Disclaimer: A co-worker, who has teenaged daughters, had to explain to me who the Kardashians are. Being a single dude, I am not up on this at all) You! Yes, you, the old guy on that stupid bicycle, had better not get in Honda Chick's way! Honda Chick will blast you with the horn, and shriek something at the top of her rather powerful voice. After all, Honda Chick is running late for a hair appointment, and that is a big no-no!

Psst... There was a Honda Chick, living in my apartment complex some time back. She would drive through the parking lot, engine gunning and tires shrieking. She would see me on my bike, and give me the most disgusted look. I thought it was hilarious. Oh,,, Honda Chick must, at all costs, have a parking space near the door. Honda Chick is a most interesting species, well worthy of her own National Geographic special.

How'd I do?
Old 05-01-15, 10:01 AM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
trackhub, you nailed it!
Old 05-01-15, 05:20 PM
Onfixiate
ABQ

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My non-scientific observation is: Anybody in a VW Jetta or Passat is suspect. (Probably Honda Chick in the car she's making the payments on. Daddy gave her the Honda for starters...)
Old 05-01-15, 08:08 PM
DBrown9383

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So now we have Honda chicks, rednecks, rich people etc.. Seems to be a fair cross section of society so I have to agree with those that have posted that an arsehole is an arsehole regardless of social standing or income. Some people just don't like people on bikes period
Old 05-01-15, 09:15 PM
LongT

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2009 Specialized Hard Rock 29er, 1989 Cannondale w/Campy Nuovo Record Components (mostly anway, now just on the trainer) and Easy Racer Recumbent (home made from plans)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've posted this story before but it sort of fits.

I was riding along a back road. A guy comes up along side me after he couldn't pass me due to oncoming traffic, Chevelle seemed pretty hopped up by the sound of the engine. Anyway he yelled at me and hit the gas burning rubber. However he either didn't know or forgot about the 90 degree left turn just up the street. He couoldn't make the corner and ran off the road. When I got to him I was laughing. He got mad and hit the gas in reverse. The ground was muddy and he got stuck. Probably good for me as he was pretty mad and I don't know if he would have tried to hit me or not.
Old 05-01-15, 10:22 PM
spokes5678

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Speaking of cars,
you can't buy and drive a BMW unless you hand in a certified letter saying your're a bonafide ahole
Old 05-02-15, 04:00 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Blimey! It seems like you have problems in the States that I never encounter. A couple o years ago, I passed a Gypsy horse and trap; the driver decided to race me. The clip clops became faster, and I wondered what hw was going to do next.
He drew alongside; and told me good things about the horse pulling said trap. We were fast approaching a blind corner, so I drew back a bit and let him go. Yes, I had had enough! But he was right. Pony and trap combination can be a fast one!
But a couple o` days ago,. I had a race with a 14 (or so) yo lad who was with his pals. I managed to ward off any overtaking he attempted; never realized the old legs still had it. Then followed the language. I wondered "Why?" and then realised.
He had been shown up in front of his peers . . . . to coin an old English expression "They don`t like it up `em . . !
I guess I`m pretty fortunate where I live. There are loads of cyclists who even have kids in a trailer behind the bike. Not good imo.
Old 05-02-15, 07:27 AM
Cyril 

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, if you really like this sort of thread, Bike Forums has a Whole forum devoted to this sort of thing...Advocacy and Safety.
Old 05-02-15, 09:47 AM
trackhub

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LongT
I've posted this story before but it sort of fits.

I was riding along a back road. A guy comes up along side me after he couldn't pass me due to oncoming traffic, Chevelle seemed pretty hopped up by the sound of the engine. Anyway he yelled at me and hit the gas burning rubber. However he either didn't know or forgot about the 90 degree left turn just up the street. He couoldn't make the corner and ran off the road. When I got to him I was laughing. He got mad and hit the gas in reverse. The ground was muddy and he got stuck. Probably good for me as he was pretty mad and I don't know if he would have tried to hit me or not.
A good tale. Sounds like you had a run-in with "old muscle car guy". A vanishing species, sadly. Alas, time always wins.
Old 05-02-15, 10:18 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
By 67 my epidermis is getting thinner , but I'm getting More Thick Skinned .. HTFU
Old 05-02-15, 04:44 PM
trackhub

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
By 67 my epidermis is getting thinner , but I'm getting More Thick Skinned .. HTFU
Good for you. Now make your statement to someone who has just had a totally un-necessary problem with any of the types
of motorists we have discussed here. The fact that some riders have stated that they have given up riding on the road
because of this, proves (to me, at least) that it is a problem. No dis-respect intended, by the way. I did have to
look up "HTFU", as I'm not up on my internet-speak.
Old 05-02-15, 05:39 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
A couple of weeks ago a riding buddy and I were on part of the loop bike path in Tucson. It goes past an elementary school where a bunch of kids were out at recess. They yelled: "Hi grandpa and grandma!" We waived. I did feel a bit old.
Old 05-03-15, 05:56 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In the words of the Madagascar Penguins, "Just smile and wave boys...smile and wave."