Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for help valuing a Specialized Roubaix frameset.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-21, 07:38 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts

So I had an issue with a Specialized frame. The big S are coming to the party and are giving me a replacement frameset, which will be from a Roubaix Expert. This Gloss Carbon/Chameleon Purple/Metallic White Silver frameset.

The only Roubaix bikes offered as frameset options that I can see are S Works, though, and this is on a different level. Can anyone help me with putting a value on this Roubaix Expert frameset? As a frameset alone, I mean, rather than a complete bike.
Old 03-18-21, 07:40 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
So I had an issue with a Specialized frame. The big S are coming to the party and are giving me a replacement frameset, which will be from a Roubaix Expert. This Gloss Carbon/Chameleon Purple/Metallic White Silver frameset.

The only Roubaix bikes offered as frameset options that I can see are S Works, though, and this is on a different level. Can anyone help me with putting a value on this Roubaix Expert frameset? As a frameset alone, I mean, rather than a complete bike.
I'm not understanding why you are asking. Are you planning to sell the frame that they are giving you?
Old 03-18-21, 07:45 PM
PDKL45

Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm not understanding why you are asking. Are you planning to sell the frame that they are giving you?
Probably. It is a replacement for a heavy steel touring bike with different axle standards, etc. My back isn't overly keen on road geometry either.

Basically I'm interested to see what people think it's worth. I am going to have to find a replacement frame to hang all my existing parts on--they're MTB and while decent, not really appropriate for a carbon road frame, not to mention thru-axles not matching my existing QR wheelset.

Edit to say I may trade it? Honestly, I don't know right now. I am just interested in a ballpark value so I know where to start any negotiations. I'm not out to make crazy money or anything, but I need a new, more appropriate frame for what I currently have. Thus I just really want an idea of what it is worth, so I can enter into buy/sell/trade/swap discussions with an idea of value.

Last edited by PDKL45; 03-18-21 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-18-21, 09:27 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
That's a last generation Roubaix frame, and unless you're getting the storage box, same fact 10r carbon as the Comp level. A bunch of us on BF got in on the sale they had on Comp Di2 Roubaixes before the intro of the current gen for less than the MSRP of the Expert non-Di2 Ultegra. So I would guess if you're selling it without the wheelset and drivetrain, maybe $1K? I like my Roubaix, but it's not anywhere as sought after as a last-gen Tarmac (SL6) or Venge frame, so whatever those are going for would be a generous upper-limit.
Old 03-18-21, 10:25 PM
PDKL45

Originally Posted by surak
That's a last generation Roubaix frame, and unless you're getting the storage box, same fact 10r carbon as the Comp level. A bunch of us on BF got in on the sale they had on Comp Di2 Roubaixes before the intro of the current gen for less than the MSRP of the Expert non-Di2 Ultegra. So I would guess if you're selling it without the wheelset and drivetrain, maybe $1K? I like my Roubaix, but it's not anywhere as sought after as a last-gen Tarmac (SL6) or Venge frame, so whatever those are going for would be a generous upper-limit.
Hey thanks. It looks like it comes with a storage box?

Around $1K was about what I was thinking was reasonable as well.
Old 03-20-21, 05:10 AM
PDKL45

The Pro's Closet has a used 2019 version of the same frame for close to $2,000. I'm assuming they go full pop retail on things, though.

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...caApw-EALw_wcB
Old 03-20-21, 05:40 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
You could search EBay or similar sites, look for “completed sales” to get a good idea.
Likes For datlas:
Old 03-20-21, 05:53 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
That bike is $3600 US so the frame is easily worth around $2000. This notion that a brand new carbon frame from a reputable company is worth a grand is far off the mark. If the Pro's Closest can get almost two grand for a two year old used bike, you will have no problem getting more. Hope everything works out for you.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 03-20-21, 06:32 AM
PDKL45

Originally Posted by blakcloud
That bike is $3600 US so the frame is easily worth around $2000. This notion that a brand new carbon frame from a reputable company is worth a grand is far off the mark. If the Pro's Closest can get almost two grand for a two year old used bike, you will have no problem getting more. Hope everything works out for you.
Thanks.​​​​​

It's certainly interesting. They are providing me with a 2018 frame, so it is slightly older, but it's still a very nice frame and will make someone a great endurance bike. A friend of mine was talking about how cool it would be built up as a long distance self-supported race bike, a la Trans Am.
Old 03-20-21, 12:17 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Originally Posted by blakcloud
Could be off the mark, but I at least know the bike ain't worth $3600 except for desperate COVID-influenced buyers with more money than patience. I already explained that the exact same fact 10r frame on a Roubaix Comp with Di2 and not mechanical cost less than that, only difference is wheelset (Rovals that are ~100g lighter than DT Swiss, meh) and a storage box (second meh). Not to mention buying from Specialized gets you a warranty, or the Pro's Closet gets at least a 30-day guarantee. Then again, I've never thought the Pro's Closet had competitive prices on the vast majority of their offerings. Completed listings on eBay show that an authorized Specialized reseller getting $1500 on multiple sizes. Other than that, it's not exactly a hot item with lots of demand. S-Works would be a different matter.

The Roubaix frame is nice and comfy, but not ideal for ultra-endurance events as it has zero mounts of any kind. I was just chatting with another Roubaix owner planning to do a cross-country tour this year after getting fully vaccinated, and he's going with a Diverge for the fenders and rack. And again, it's not exactly sought-after the way the Tarmac or Venge frames are for people wanting to build up something, so expecting too much is going to lead to disappointment.
Likes For surak:
Old 03-20-21, 05:40 PM
PDKL45

Trans Am race type racers usually use bags exclusively, it's fast light racing, not loaded touring. A small saddle bag, frame bag, gastank bag and handlebar roll is all people commonly use, and it was that type of racing my friend was talking about.

I'm not going to be disappointed, because while it's a useful benchmark, I don't need full retail. Someone is going to get an amazing deal on a Roubaix frameset, though. Probably in trade for what I actually want, but we'll see what happens.
Old 03-20-21, 06:00 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 1,737 Times in 1,012 Posts
What is this at the base of the frame?

Old 03-20-21, 06:33 PM
PDKL45

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
What is this at the base of the frame?

Apparently even Mike Sinyard has been known to refer to the MTB version as the "weed box," but I'm sure it's equally useful for a couple of gas canisters, some tire levers and a spare tube.
Old 03-20-21, 07:25 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 1,737 Times in 1,012 Posts
I was thinking all the SWAT boxes were internal on the downtube, thanks for the insight.

Old 03-20-21, 07:52 PM
PDKL45

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I was thinking all the SWAT boxes were internal on the downtube, thanks for the insight.
I think you're right. Do you know the Path Podcast? The guys were talking about the MTB one there, that's where I picked that up.
Old 03-20-21, 10:23 PM
surak

It's the storage box.