Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike Cable FUBAR

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bike Cable FUBAR

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-21, 03:31 PM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Bike Cable FUBAR

I was rushing to do something and messed up a shifter cable. I ended up with not only split ends, but having split ends for inches down the length of the cable. I have a replacement, which I will put on tonight, but I'm curious. When this happens--when the unravelling goes beyond the first few inches, and you have the wire strands messed up for inches down the cable--is there anything that can be done to repair it?
Old 03-11-21, 03:40 PM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
If it is truly just "unraveled' than you can twist the individual strands back together, generally the individual strands will nestle back together. But if you have bent an individual strand then it will never lay back smoothly. You can untwist 1 or 2 bent strands and cut them off above the bend, then twist them back into place. Otherwise, you just have to cut off the damaged section.
Likes For Eggman84:
Old 03-11-21, 03:42 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
New cable that is way too long anyway? Just cut it off. Otherwise try to roll or twist it together well enough to run through the cable housing. As long as any of the unraveled part is out of the housing, I don't see a big issue.

I suppose there might be a strength and longevity issue for some, if that is going to bother you, get another.
Old 03-11-21, 04:18 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Sounds like you need a different shampoo.

​​​​Eggman84 has it right; if you can run your fingers down the cable and twist it back into shape, it'll work just fine. If you've got some extra length, you might want to cut off 1/2" or so before you try to squeeze the cable through some housing.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 03-11-21, 04:28 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
You could also try using some KrazyŽ-type glue to hold the ends of the strands together, or twist-weld them if there is enough length:
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 03-11-21, 04:36 PM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Twist weld!

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
You could also try using some KrazyŽ-type glue to hold the ends of the strands together, or twist-weld them if there is enough length: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUQQ9aggStw
This was brilliant. Thank you.
Old 03-11-21, 05:58 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
When almost all cable was galvanized, we used to solder then ends. Now with stainless steel cables the usual technique is to ferrule the end and crimp it.

This twist welding, I hadn't seen before. I may have to give it a try. It looks neat. I like how the wire, if done with some tension on it, will draw the wire diameter down before twisting off.

It looks like they are using steel wire cable. I wonder how stainless might work differently. I would think that you could just sand the heat affected area and get it looking pretty good again. You should not need paint on stainless steel.

If anyone tries it on a stainless steel cable, please let us know how it works. And please post pictures.
Old 03-11-21, 06:23 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
If it's not already too short you can cut off the mess and use the cable for the front. If you put it away for later it will help to label it ("short" or whatever.)
Old 03-11-21, 10:33 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
When almost all cable was galvanized, we used to solder then ends. Now with stainless steel cables the usual technique is to ferrule the end and crimp it.

This twist welding, I hadn't seen before. I may have to give it a try. It looks neat. I like how the wire, if done with some tension on it, will draw the wire diameter down before twisting off.

It looks like they are using steel wire cable. I wonder how stainless might work differently. I would think that you could just sand the heat affected area and get it looking pretty good again. You should not need paint on stainless steel.

If anyone tries it on a stainless steel cable, please let us know how it works. And please post pictures.
The 'ferrule' goes on the housing, not the cable. The cable gets a cable crimp.
Old 03-12-21, 07:17 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
You could also try using some KrazyŽ-type glue to hold the ends of the strands together, or twist-weld them if there is enough length: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUQQ9aggStw
Twist-weld is a clever idea. One drawback is that using a propane/air torch creates a fairly long heat-affected zone on the cable, which the video does note. VAR made an electric version of this idea that minimizes the heat-affected zone; I suspect that cable manufacturers like Jagwire use something like that to finish the ends of their cables. I wonder if a spot-welder could be used for this purpose?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
var-310.jpg (725.7 KB, 99 views)
Old 03-12-21, 07:23 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Twist-weld is a clever idea. One drawback is that using a propane/air torch creates a fairly long heat-affected zone on the cable, which the video does note. VAR made an electric version of this idea that minimizes the heat-affected zone; I suspect that cable manufacturers like Jagwire use something like that to finish the ends of their cables. I wonder if a spot-welder could be used for this purpose?
I agree that commercial cables appear to have the ends welded, perhaps by a capacitive-discharge type of apparatus. One could minimize the heat-affected zone by use of a heat sink on the cable; clamping it close to the weld point with the vise would also be helpful..
Old 03-12-21, 10:11 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
I've used the twist weld method on around 20 stainless cables with a mini-butane torch and no problems yet with the heat reducing the life of the cables or harming the derailleur/brakes which the cable is attached to when I do this. Of course, use your common sense not to point the flame in the wrong direction but if you're not comfortable with this just take out the cable and do it separately. Took me awhile to figure out to turn the cable slowly instead of a quick zing with the drill and well worth the extra anal effort IMO.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 04-04-21, 09:38 AM
lajt

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I noticed if I tug too much on the drill then the cable slides out of the chuck no matter how hard I've clamped it down. If I just keep it at the same distance and not let it get pulled closer, though, it seems to work. I'm not able to accomplish the nice tapered point like they do in the video, maybe because I can't successfully tug on it, but the cable tip does fuse together nicely. I'm no wizard mechanic but this technique really works. The soldering iron technique doesn't work for me, maybe because the cable is stainless steel or maybe because it has a coating. Twist-weld, on the other hand--this is the one that truly seems superior to the crimped caps.
Here's a pic of test runs with a scrap of Jagwire stainless brake cable. You can see how the tip gets wound more tightly.

Last edited by lajt; 04-04-21 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Adding a photo
Old 04-04-21, 02:09 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I'm thinking it might be cheaper to buy a new cable