Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help -- Can't figure out foot pain on sides

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-21, 08:54 AM
luked3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’m tracking down shoes that don’t cause shooting foot pain at 30-40 miles on the outside side of my feet -- from the small toe down about half my foot. I didn’t get far last year before shoes were out of stock and I just got stuck. I’ve been taking really good notes along the way. I'm using SPD pedals/shoes. Here’s everything I’ve tried so far below.

Started with shooting pain in my Sidi 46 wide MTB shoes (I used a heel piece to move up a bit because I knew the shoes were slightly big). I used to wear a size 11 running shoe, but switched just before getting the Sidi 46 Wides to a 10.5 wide and it helped my everyday foot comfort. 10.5 regular running shoes hurt like my bike shoes do.

After my Bike fit, realized my shoes were way too big. Went back to my old MPD Louis-Garneau 46 regular shoes, which fit smaller. With shifting cleat position around, I was able to clear my left foot pain at 40 miles. Bike fit also showed I should wear like a 44.

Did a shoe fit at Fleet Feet. They show me as a left foot 10.6B and right foot 10.4D – balls of both feet solidly narrow.

Tried Specialized Recon 3.0 Size 44 regular from a LBS. These destroyed my feet all over. Numb and red lots of places.

Tried a friend’s Sidi 45 regular width. Squeezed the sides of my feet.

Tried a Specialized Recon 2.0 45W – Specialized shoe pad says 45. Playing with cleats got me about what I had with the LG’s – left foot ok. But right still shooting pain.

Tried the Bikefit.com app to figure out varus. Left and right are 15-16deg tilt. Tried various cleat wedges instead of the specialized insert wedges with my LG’s. Started having some knee pain with cleat wedges. And not much foot help.

Printed out a Sidi sizing chart and tinkering around with measurements. Sidi says I’m a 43.5 NARROW!.

Some questions to me: Why do all the measurements say I’m a narrow? This makes no sense based on experience. Would a different style of pedal help at all? Look?

What would you try next? Thanks a lot!

Last edited by luked3; 04-13-21 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-12-21, 09:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
30 to 40 miles and foot pain on the balls of my feet used to be a little bit of swelling in a snug fitting shoe. I started wearing some socks that give my foot a little bit of compression and that seems to have ended that annoyance for me. I like Swiftwick. They are thin enough not to compete with the cushioning already in my shoes.

If the socks aren't a pain in the butt to get on and off, they probably aren't doing enough compression for your foot. IMO. Or you are just younger and more flexible than me. <grin>
Old 04-12-21, 10:05 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
You said foot pain on the sides, I looked and didn't see which sides, forgive me if I missed it. Inside of the feet or outside?
Old 04-12-21, 03:59 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Foot pain on sides ... if on the outside, could be tailor's bunion.
Old 04-12-21, 04:12 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Sidi shoes are super narrow, and their "wide" shoes are normal width at best. I can't fit properly into any of their shoes and I get pain on the edges of my soles when I try (is that what you mean by "sides"?). Shimano makes a wide width that works for me. FWIW I wear a 11 or 11.5 E width running shoe and fit a 45 wide Shimano shoe just fine. North Wave also fits well.
Old 04-13-21, 11:14 AM
luked3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry! I just updated the post -- The outside of my feet -- starting at the small toe down about half my foot.
Old 04-13-21, 12:53 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by luked3
Sorry! I just updated the post -- The outside of my feet -- starting at the small toe down about half my foot.
That sounds about like what I felt when I rode on Sidis and it turned out my foot was kind of hanging over the edge of the sole (best way I can find to describe it). Wider shoes (and the Sidi Mega didn't cut it for me) fixed the problem.
Old 04-13-21, 01:00 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Try cleat wedges. That used to happen to me too. You're probably forced to tilt your foot to keep your knee alignment correct. I bet if you try to relieve your foot pain, your knee ends up tracking inwards and brushing the top tube.

another solution is to set your feet farther apart but that isn't as comfortable as having your feet right under your knee.
Old 04-13-21, 01:02 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Most of the "wide" cycling shoes aren't actually wide - they're high volume. Try something that's actually wide - I'd start with Lake and doing the measuring/sizing as outlined here - https://lakecycling.com/pages/sizing-charts
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-13-21, 01:24 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Try cleat wedges. That used to happen to me too. You're probably forced to tilt your foot to keep your knee alignment correct. I bet if you try to relieve your foot pain, your knee ends up tracking inwards and brushing the top tube.

another solution is to set your feet farther apart but that isn't as comfortable as having your feet right under your knee.
I am quoting because I agree that for a lot of people, better alignment relieves a lot of issues. If I went to a bike fitter and they did not address cleat alignment, I would not pay them.
Old 04-13-21, 01:43 PM
Hapsmo911

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Outer foot pain could be a lot of different things, or combinations of things. For me ditching the varus wedge and moving the cleat back and a wider Q factor worked. If your feet are trying to be in a place they aren't able to be, shoes wont matter.

Shoe manufacturers can only get you into the ballpark of their lasts. So you may be a narrow in one and normal in another, or whatever.
Old 04-13-21, 06:18 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Just guessing, but here are a few suggestions:

1. If you are getting different shoe size measurements, make sure you always measure your size when you have weight on your feet for consistency. Also, not all shoe makers follow the standardized size charts accurately.
2. Pain from the little toe to the middle of the outside of your foot may be a tailor's bunion, as previously stated. Also: if the pain is radiating (electric like or funny bone like) it may be the local nerve being compressed between the bone and the shoe. This happened to me with a pair of running sneakers once. A week after I got rid of those sneakers, the pain went away.
3. If the pain is on the bottom of the outside of the foot, make sure there is no lip (thicker liner) along the outside of the bottom insert to the shoe. In other words along the perimeter of the insert. If there is, it may be pressing against the outside bottom of the foot causing pain. Thin it out even with the rest of the insert with either a knife or scissor if it's thicker.
4. Try a shoe with a more flexible upper material so it's not pressing so hard against your foot.
Old 04-14-21, 07:40 AM
luked3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. I'll try a few of these suggestions and report back (maybe in a couple months). Happy riding!
Old 04-14-21, 03:27 PM
RedllowFenix

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I recommend that you look for LAKE shoes. I recently purchased the CX241 for road cycling. I was in pain and numbness after riding for more than 4 hours and allegedly this sort out the problem. I am waiting for them to arrive.