Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-06, 10:25 AM
mtessmer
Bikeman

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well... it's the first day of spring... you'd never know it on my ride in this morning. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice ride in it was just more like February (snow, ice, 25F, etc.). I'm ready for spring.
Old 03-20-06, 10:59 AM
eastbaybob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The sun was gently falling through the clouds when I left home. It took about ten minutes to get to the office.
Old 03-20-06, 11:05 AM
halfbiked
dangerous with tools

Bikes: fat, long, single & fast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frickin' cold this AM. Not too bad in temperatures - around 20, but my ride was right into the teeth of a biting 11-14 mph wind. At first an ice-cream-headache problem was bothering me, until I noticed that my running tights / long underwear combination did little to protect my down-under-brother from the elements. Yow. Can you say 'turtle'? I thought you could.

edit: on the plus side, the red-winged blackbirds were singing to me as I pedaled past a marshy area.
Old 03-20-06, 11:12 AM
FormerBMX'er

Bikes: 2011 Tsunami, 2004 Fuji Team Issue and More!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lazy, cool (22F) ride in today. I did just over 100mi since last Sunday to this past Saturday so my legs felt a bit tired. I have my first Century lined up for this May so I plan to get in a minimum 80~100mi weekly if possible.
Old 03-20-06, 12:38 PM
LilSprocket
Wheee

Bikes: Schwinn Rocket 88 phase 1/ Surly 1x1/Cannondale R700 WSD 650c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
on the road again! I think it was like 80* at 8a when I left the house.
Lovely, uneventful ride... YAY!
Old 03-20-06, 12:44 PM
Mr. Jim
Bike Nerd

Bikes: mid 80's Fuji Supreme (commuter), LeRun unicycle thingy Raleigh Centrurion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cold and windy, I miscalculated how windy it was. I coulda used an extra 5 minutes to cleanup as I was slower than expected.
Old 03-20-06, 03:47 PM
rando

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a bit chilly and a headwind. after the first 100 feet, went back to the house for a coat! tried another route but didn't save me any time and it is a bit more dangerous. seems faster, but it is not. still 40 minutes door to door saw 2 other 2 wheeled bikers and one recumbent.
Old 03-20-06, 04:36 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Head winds. Lots of 'em. Slowed me down, but the cars seemed to just slice right through it. If I could just make headwinds work for me....

[e] Gaaaahhhhhh!!! There's no heat in my apt. bldg. And who knows when the boiler repair guy will get here. If this keeps up, I'll be working from home tomorrow.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

Last edited by jyossarian; 03-20-06 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-20-06, 05:32 PM
tomg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"cold" here as well with head-winds on return home. i was toasty at the 1/2 point, both ways though. traffic seemed tame, a good day!
Old 03-20-06, 08:55 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode in from my gf's place 40+ miles. Rode out yesterday morning. Day off today because of the weather. Had a flat approx. 20 miles out. Changed it in about 10 mins...new record. Wet, windy and cold...perfect cycling weather. Ha! Have been averaging over 100 miles per week since the beginning of the year. 140 miles last week. Last purchased gas for my pick-up on 2/22. Calves are a little sore, but otherwise ok. Will do my regular commute tomorrow(21 mi. r/t)

Need to brag a little on my girl...she's been commuting to church every Sunday for the last month(25 mi r/t). Trains 20-40 mins everyday on a Schwinn stationary. Bought her a used Specialized Crossroads for her b-day last year and she's been wearing it out as of late. Her technique and stamina have improved on every ride. There's this one hill. She had to walk it the first time. The next week I showed her switchbacks. This week expecting her to do switchbacks I lagged behind a little...she went straight up w/no hesitation. She said she's ready to go clipless.
Old 03-20-06, 11:00 PM
spidercyclist
The Spider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good ride to work & home . A little on the cold side today. Think spring. Have a good nite .
Old 03-20-06, 11:13 PM
John C. Ratliff

Bikes: Rans Stratus, Trek 1420, Rivendell Rambouillet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't posted here for a long time, but I've continued my daily commutes. I ride 4 days a week, with Friday being a non-riding day (explained a bunch of times a while back). Anyway, today was absolutely the best Monday commute of the year so far. I went out into sunshine and about 38 degree weather. It was wonderful. The first day of Spring came in with a bang, and I even got in a noon ride too. Here in Western Oregon, we need to take these days and use them as best we can.

John
Old 03-20-06, 11:40 PM
oilfreeandhappy

Bikes: Shasta Kiliminjaro, Optima Dragon Recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked out, saw a little snow, and decided to go for it. There was about an inch of snow over frozen ice, and I was sliding a little on some of the tire ruts. Just about the time I started thinking "I must be crazy", I passed another cyclist. A few minutes later, I passed another cyclist. Seems like I'm seeing more riders braving the inclement weather?

The commute went a lot easier once I got out of my subdivision.
Old 03-21-06, 08:01 AM
GTcommuter
Easily distracted...

Bikes: Surley Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surprisingly miserable today. Chilly but not really cold enough for tights, drizzly but not really raining, I sweated under my jacket the whole way in. Oh well, I guess just typical March weather.

Oh, and I almost had to pull a guy out of his BMW and stuff his head up his tailpipe. For two blocks down a small neighborhood street he revved his engine and swerved around like he was going to pass me. Arrrggg...too early in the morning for that kind of BS.
Old 03-21-06, 08:07 AM
FormerBMX'er

Bikes: 2011 Tsunami, 2004 Fuji Team Issue and More!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Jim
Cold and windy, I miscalculated how windy it was. I coulda used an extra 5 minutes to cleanup as I was slower than expected.
I was in the same boat during my ride home yesterday! I've been taking the long route home trying to get in more miles. Yesterday I had to shorten my "long ride home" because I didn't have my hi-vis vest and didn't want to ride in the dark, the wind was just relentless.

I Strained my groin yesterday as my foot slipped off the pedal whilst attempting to click in. I think I need to replace my cleats as I'm having the damdess time clicking in. With that said, another easy ride in today, traffic was a bit wacky as some chick was in the left only lane, but then decided she wanted to go straight and turn two lanes into three, she stopped before she hit the median . Lots of pulling into and out of driveways and parking spots so "Achtung" was the word of the morning.
Old 03-21-06, 08:17 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's spring and more commuters are coming out of hibernation. Got to work a little early and snagged the last spot at the hitching posts. Meanwhile, all the other regular commuters that did this all winter will be scrambling to lock down at signs, trees, whatever. Also saw some semi-famous guy walk out the bldg and get into a limo that thoughtfully made sure to park so the rear door would open directly into some bicycles. I'll ask the security guards who the semi-famous guy is later.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 03-21-06, 08:27 AM
nicomachus

Bikes: n+1

Liked 26 Times in 5 Posts
Cold, wet, drizzly... I was really enjoying it. No really, I was. We had such a mild winter here that I feel cheated. I'm not ready for it to warm up yet, so I was actually enjoying the ride in this morning.

Until, an oncoming white Cadillac starts crossing the center line to turn left. It would turn left into an apartment complex parking lot right about the same time that I would be passing the entrance to the parking lot. She slows, acts like she sees me. I keep going straight ahead.

She pulls forward some more, and the front bumper missed my panniers by inches. I let out my usual, "the f*ck you doin'?", loud enough so that she can hear me through all the glass that keeps her oblivious to her surroundings. Only, her window is rolled down (on a morning like this... why?), so now I know she heard me clearly.

She's yapping on the cell phone and stops just long enough to say to me, "sorry honey."

Honey? Lady, hang up and drive.
Old 03-21-06, 09:01 AM
luckysnafu

Bikes: Felt F85 (2007), Fuji Regis (1980's)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Decided to drive in today since it is rainy and cold. Rode home in light rain/drizzle last night, and this is all I have to say:

No fenders for me = "W" "E" "T"
Old 03-21-06, 09:47 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the ride home last night, I decided to take the long way. I looped around farther south than I usually go and climbed a different hill. Then I sprinted a couple of other small hills. I'm going to try it again today on the skinny tires to see what less rolling resistance and an extra 20 gear inches will do for me.
Old 03-21-06, 09:52 AM
WhiteRabbit
Railgun of Patience

Bikes: 1997 KHS Summit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride home yesterday was really windy, but this morning was clear and calm. Quite nice.
Old 03-21-06, 10:38 AM
eastbaybob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After myself, and the condo, being lashed by torrents of rain last night, I awoke to pure blue skys and fresh air. It took about ten minutes to get to the office.
Old 03-21-06, 01:29 PM
Mr. Jim
Bike Nerd

Bikes: mid 80's Fuji Supreme (commuter), LeRun unicycle thingy Raleigh Centrurion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lay in bed this morning thinking that i should take the "cross" tires off the commuter this being spring and all. Karma got me good. I got up and it had snowed an inch or so and was still coming down. Half way through the day it has all melted. But i think the knobbies will stay on for another week or so. It was a pleasent ride this morning with the fresh snow.
Old 03-21-06, 02:01 PM
ecpike

Bikes: ~95 GT, ~95 Trek, '04 Jamis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I woke up and it was raining, but I thought it's nevada, rain never lasts long.. well as it got closer to the time to leave I thought, maybe I will skip the ride today since I don't have rain gear or fenders... but then the rain started to slow down then stop.. Sweet! I thought as I grabbed my stuff and threw on a little plastic poncho to keep the water off my butt... Then it started to rain again, and my wife said are you still riding? Of course I did, and I showed up to work with soaking wet pants and it was even kinda cold slushy rain, but I loved it.. Even had a guy from work pull up halfway through the ride and ask if I wanted a ride, but I was already wet and wanted to keep going.. He thought I was nuts... It is an addiction...
Old 03-21-06, 03:12 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
What a beautiful morning. It rained quite a bit last night but by dawn it was clear and the streets were drying. I totally overdressed, of course, but it wasn't a big deal. There may be a little more rain this week, but hopefully spring will finally arrive and I can put away the tights and toe warmers for the season.
Old 03-21-06, 04:23 PM
NM-NewRoadie
Mostly riding...mostly

Bikes: 1992 Trek 3 tube carbon 2200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride in today, I managed to get up in time to do my longest route (20 miles) it felt really good, I paced myself on the flats so I'ld have good energy for the uphill portions and it worked out a lot better than thrashing all the way. like I do on my shorter commutes (4 and 7 miles).

I'm going to try and do 20 miles in again tomorrow, gotta ramp up my rides if I don't wanna sag on my June Tour!

Oh, also re-adjusted my itialian bicycle mirror at lunch today, it wasn't at a very good angle this morning, but now I think I have it pretty dialed in. It's pretty sweet, I'm kinda wishing i had oversized bars though, so it would look even more stealth...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.