Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

cheap plastic crap

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

cheap plastic crap

Old 03-19-06, 12:03 AM
slopvehicle
ass hatchet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cheap plastic crap

Every cheap commuter light I've ever owned has either:

a) had the mounting bracket snap from being taken off / reattached daily (rendering the light useless)

b) been stolen because I left it on my bike hoping to avoid said broken clips.

So far this year, I've lost two Planet Bike "Beamers" (old and new style) as well as a Blackburn 7.0 tail light and an old Zefal piece o' crap I got for $1 at a bike swap.

If I actually convince myself to drop another $40 on lights (better then being crushed to death, right?), what should I buy? I'm looking for a relatively bright, detachable LED headlight that's not too huge for my jeans pocket. And I want it to last more than six months of being taken off and reattached daily.

(ps: indoor bike storage is not an option)
Old 03-19-06, 12:46 AM
oilfreeandhappy

Bikes: Shasta Kiliminjaro, Optima Dragon Recumbent

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my expensive Niterider in very cold weather. The company replaced it free. When I detach now, I do so very gently. I also greased the guide.
Old 03-19-06, 01:26 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a Cateye Opticube EL-400. It uses a rubber strap to attach so there's no permanent mount. I use it for visibility rather than to actually see since I ride on the streets most of the time. I've used it on pitch black trails and been limited to 10 mph or so.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 03-19-06, 07:09 AM
squeakywheel
domestique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My solution won't fit in your pocket and I won't say its for everyone, but here's something to get you thinking. I went the "roll your own" route for three reasons. (1) The ready made solutions had flimsy little spring loaded plastic mounting brackets that didn't look like they would last one season. (2) The ready made solutions were expensive. (3) All the taillights I found used AAA bateries while the front lights used AA or a proprietary battery. I wanted one standard battery solution for both front and rear.

I bought 3 Princeton Tec Predator headlamps, one of the accessory red lenses, 6 rechargeable AA batteries, one Sony travel charger. I already had the couple feet of thin shock cord (elastic rope) and small carbiner. Total cost was just over $50. The Princeton Tec lights were $11 each and the red lens was $4. The lights use standard flash light bulbs and come with halogen or krypton ones.

I removed the head strap apparatus from the head lights and threaded a short piece of shock cord through the holes in the lights where the apparatus attached. The shock cord makes about a 6 inch circumference loop after I tied the ends together. The light with the red lens has a small carbiner on the loop.

To install the two front lights, I hold them under the handlebars, wrap the cord around the bar, and stretch it over the lens housing. To mount the rear (red) light, I fish the carbiner through the rods under my seat, fish the loop through the other side, stretch them both to the underside of the rods, and clip the carbiner to the loop. It hangs under my seat and swings around a little.

I have redundant lights in the front. For the rear, I have a reflector for backup if the rear light fails. I'm reasonably satisfied. These are not the brightest solution, but I'm OK with them on familiar roads. The front lights move around a bit on rough roads. I usually have to adjust them a couple times during my commute. Princeton Tec advertises these lights to be bomb proof, but I did manage to break one of the battery compartement doors. They replaced it free (life time waranty). I didn't tell them how I was using the lights. It's probably outside the scope of the waranty.
Old 03-19-06, 11:54 AM
Wheels4

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Cervelo and Santana

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 14 Posts
I just had a cheap Trek light pop off friday morning on my way to work... and of course, it got ran over by cars. don't have that problem with my DIY lights.
Old 03-19-06, 12:26 PM
Eggplant Jeff
45 miles/week

Bikes: Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're considering DIY, consider DIY brackets for standard lights. The part of the bracket that usually breaks is the part that holds it to the bike, not the part on the light. So think about replacing just the handlebar part with a much stouter piece. I do that with taillights.
Old 03-19-06, 12:48 PM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Sigma makes several very bright lights that have a unique "snap on" mounting bracket. Just seat the bracket around the bars and snap it shut. It takes less than five seconds to attach or detach the lights.

I live in one of the most crime infested neighborhood of the crime capital of America. If I'm going into Krogers for fifteen minutes at night, I don't take the light off. If I'm parked in front of store during the afternoon, I leave the bike for a couple of hours and don't take the light off. I have never had a light stolen.

So, where the heck do you live that folks would steal your lights?
Old 03-19-06, 01:02 PM
Wheels4

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Cervelo and Santana

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 14 Posts
alan, I hope you're knocking on wood...
Old 03-19-06, 01:14 PM
Caspar_s

Bikes: Giant Tcx1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never thought NOT to take the lights with me - I guess if they unscrew the bike bell top (just the bell part, not the ringer part) then they're gonna take the light. I'm going to try velcro once I figure out how to attach it to the light.
Old 03-19-06, 01:45 PM
slopvehicle
ass hatchet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
When I arrived in Tucson a few months back, several people claimed it was "the bike theft capital of the US". Haven't seen much evidence to support that, but I have had some bastard steal a light while the bike was locked up outside of a music venue / bar. But the same thing happened all the time when I lived back in Wisconsin. Of course if you don't have the bracket, it's nearly useless as a bike light. But the light itself would make a nice flashlight. Or hey, a couple free AAs for a homeless dude's walkman.

Areas with drunk college kids are the worst. Apparently Bud Light taps you on the shoulder and says, "take that guy's safety device and smash it to bits!"
Old 03-19-06, 03:41 PM
BearsPaw
Chief Chef

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Touring, 70s Motobecane Grand Record, Sekai 2500, crappy mountain bike from dumpster, cyclone cycles titanium road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The first headlight I ever bought had a broken mounting bracket within a couple months. My new one (which is expensive, and may be overkill depending on your situation) seems difficult to break. It's one of the big Sigma brand lights with an external rechargable battery.

I had the back light on my bike break recently. I was about to park my bike, and when I hopped the curb to get on the sidewalk it fell off. Anyone else ever have this happen to them? I can't figure out what would have put enough stress on it to cause it to crack like this.

Old 03-19-06, 03:44 PM
slopvehicle
ass hatchet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To Blackburn's credit, I emailed 'em and they promised to send a replacement clip as soon as they could. But it's been a few months and nothing yet....
Old 03-20-06, 06:31 AM
As You Like It
Enthusiasm on Wheels

Bikes: 1953 Schwinn Debutante, 1971 Hercules 3-speed, 1973 Schwinn Suburban, 1990 Huffy White River, 1990-something Bianchi Advantage, 1996 Trek 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggplant Jeff
If you're considering DIY, consider DIY brackets for standard lights. The part of the bracket that usually breaks is the part that holds it to the bike, not the part on the light. So think about replacing just the handlebar part with a much stouter piece. I do that with taillights.
This is true. I use a hose clamp, threaded directly through the clippy bit on the back of the light. I don't take it on and off the bike often, and nobody has taken one of my lights. The necessity of a screwdriver to get it off helps with the light staying put, I'd guess.
Old 03-20-06, 06:58 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by As You Like It
This is true. I use a hose clamp, threaded directly through the clippy bit on the back of the light. I don't take it on and off the bike often, and nobody has taken one of my lights. The necessity of a screwdriver to get it off helps with the light staying put, I'd guess.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about mine either. To get it off you need a wrench and several minutes. To get the bracket off you need to take the grip and shifter off the end so you can slide it off.

I don't think even getting hit by a car would break my light off.
Old 03-20-06, 08:44 AM
squeakywheel
domestique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Leaving the lights on the bike wouldn't work for me. It isn't the theft possibility. Its the temperature. You wan't to take your batteries indoors during Minnesota winters. The cold temperature will reduce the batteries output to nil.
Old 03-20-06, 10:30 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by squeakywheel
Leaving the lights on the bike wouldn't work for me. It isn't the theft possibility. Its the temperature. You wan't to take your batteries indoors during Minnesota winters. The cold temperature will reduce the batteries output to nil.
Hm. I leave mine outside at night, down to -5F it's been OK. But I don't let them get too close to dead. I have a 3.5 hour runtime, and I put them back on the charger after 3 trips (x45 min = 2.25 hours)

Do you have LiIon batteries? Those DO shut almost completely down in the cold, which is the main reason I don't have them, I use NiMH. My SLA battery I was using last year really tanked in the cold too.
Old 03-20-06, 11:00 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I use a bolt-on lamp with a removable battery in a waterbottle.
Sooner or later you drop something and the battery is quite resistant to damage, unlike a lamp.
I use a std dynamo style headlamp but mounted on a steel front reflector bracket at the fork crown. Thieves are not attracted to them and you need tools to remove them. The 3w lighting is sufficient is more than enough for streetlighting and adaquate for unlight lanes and tracks but not high speed trail riding.
You can use any 6v battery system and charger. I use a sealed lead acid battery and constant voltage charger (bought from an electronics store, no DIY required). More advanced batteries offer more power in smaller packages.
Old 03-20-06, 11:21 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Have you considered this mount and a good flashlight? Seems to meet your criteria, but not having used one, cannot vouch for it.
Old 03-20-06, 12:49 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got my Turbocat S10 for about $100 shipped on ebay. Mine has the cool CNCed clamp that can be removed completely from the bars. The light can is all aluminum. NO PLASTIC! The battery pack velcros to the top tube (or the bars when I have room).

The whole system can be removed or installed in a few seconds.

As for taillights, I'm probably going to get a Spanninga next, which can be bolted directly to a rear fender.

Old 03-20-06, 02:55 PM
halfbiked
dangerous with tools

Bikes: fat, long, single & fast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squeakywheel

For storage, cold is good for batteries. However, when you're asking for juice, warmer is better. So from that perspective squeaky is doing himself a favor by storing the batteries inside, when not in use. The ideal is to store the battery at cold temps, then warm it for use, but thats pretty impractical for bike commuting.
Old 03-20-06, 03:56 PM
BikeFleet

Bikes: Specialized Allez (base model triple with upgrades), Specialized Sirrus frankenbike, much-loved beater bike/soon to be street fix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
Sigma makes several very bright lights that have a unique "snap on" mounting bracket. Just seat the bracket around the bars and snap it shut. It takes less than five seconds to attach or detach the lights.

I live in one of the most crime infested neighborhood of the crime capital of America. If I'm going into Krogers for fifteen minutes at night, I don't take the light off. If I'm parked in front of store during the afternoon, I leave the bike for a couple of hours and don't take the light off. I have never had a light stolen.

New York, New York, New York.

Here they'll steal anything that isn't bolted down. I had my frame pump stolen when I turned my back on it for 30 seconds -- they broke the pump in the process of stealing it (several key parts were lying on the ground -- it was secured to the frame well because I figured no one would steal it if it looked hard to remove) but still took the unrepairable rest of it with them. I have friends who have had quick release skewers stolen right off their wheels or seat -- the skewers themselves, not the bike parts they were attached to. I've known people who had the batteries stolen out of their blinkie taillights. It's insane.

Personally, after going through probably half a dozen headlights (not stolen -- they all bounced off, one after another, on the Williamsburg Bridge before they took the 2" joints off) I now have a Serfas headlight, which has a snap-on bracket I think is similar to the Sigma. It's the only light that survived the constant jostling without flying off into the car traffic below. Plus, it makes a very pleasing clicking/creaking sound when you snap it in place. It isn't all that bright, but it keeps people from accidentally crashing into me on dark Brooklyn streets.
Old 03-20-06, 04:04 PM
brokenrobot
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the same Cateye jyossarian does - and I HATE it. Nothing in the world can keep that strap tight; unless you're prepared to physically hold the light in place throughout your entire ride, it's not a good choice. It's pretty visible, though
Old 03-20-06, 04:06 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BearsPaw
I had the back light on my bike break recently. I was about to park my bike, and when I hopped the curb to get on the sidewalk it fell off. Anyone else ever have this happen to them? I can't figure out what would have put enough stress on it to cause it to crack like this.
Same thing happened to one of my friends. Hopped off a curb and the light mount just snapped. Same model Blackburn.

I'd suggest one of two things. Mount lights to your helmet,bag,and or jacket so you can take them with you. Or get one of these:
https://www.serfas.com/lights/TL-1000.shtml

Another friend has one of these. It's super freakin' bright and mounts with straps.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 03-20-06, 09:36 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brokenrobot
I use the same Cateye jyossarian does - and I HATE it. Nothing in the world can keep that strap tight; unless you're prepared to physically hold the light in place throughout your entire ride, it's not a good choice. It's pretty visible, though
A light film of hair gel or hairnet spray on the handlebars will provide enough tack for the rubber strap to get a good hold. And wipe the strap down w/ alcohol to get any oil and dirt buildup off it. But when it rains and you hit some potholes, it'll bounce downwards.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 03-20-06, 09:45 PM
The LT
spin

Bikes: raleigh m-60, azonic steelhead, schwinn world sport fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
A light film of hair gel or hairnet spray on the handlebars will provide enough tack for the rubber strap to get a good hold. And wipe the strap down w/ alcohol to get any oil and dirt buildup off it. But when it rains and you hit some potholes, it'll bounce downwards.

I have also been using that same light for about a year now I have never had problems with it falling off or anything like that....but when it gets real bumpy it does tend to point down instead of straight ahead

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.