Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cube Litening C68 Snapped off Rear Derailleur

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cube Litening C68 Snapped off Rear Derailleur

Old 09-09-15, 02:25 PM
chris2006

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cube Rear Derailleur Problem

Hi All

I purchased a Cube C68 litening PRO 4 weeks ago and while cycling today I heard a loud crunch which I thought was my chain coming off

When I had a look the rear Derailleur has snapped off taking part of the frame with it

I cant believe how weak it is, my brother went for the felt AR5 and Rear Derailleur on it looks far stronger.

What would have caused this to happen and what way do I stand with warranty ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4604.jpg (104.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_4614.jpg (83.7 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by chris2006; 09-10-15 at 05:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-09-15, 04:36 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
First question always asked in these threads: What gear combination were you in when this happened? Looks as if your derailleur hanger did what it is supposed to do which is to sacrifice itself preventing damage to frame and derailleur when the derailleur shifts beyond its limits
Old 09-09-15, 04:37 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chris2006
Hi All

I purchased a Cube C68 litening PRO 4 weeks ago and while cycling today I heard a loud crunch which I thought was my chain coming off

When I had a look the rear Derailleur has snapped off taking part of the frame with it

I cant believe how weak it is, my brother went for the felt AR5 and Rear Derailleur on it looks far stronger.

What would have caused this to happen and what way do I stand with warranty ?

The bike was all setup in the shop when I purchased it.
Take it back to the shop ASAP.

It should absolutely be covered under warranty as a new bike.

Take care not to damage the bike while getting it there, as they will likely take it and investigate the issue and you don't want them to be able to blame you by saying you crashed it.

Most if not all makers warranty is voided by a crash as that is not considered normal usage and wear.
Old 09-09-15, 06:20 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Looks like the hanger AND frame broke .... Ouch.
Common cause is the "L" low limit screw misadjusted allowing the derailleur to shift off the largest cog into the spokes.
Another cause is a chain that's too short, so if you are in the big chainring and shift into the big cassette cog, you run out of chain and "SNAP'

What were the circumstances when this happened ? Details ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-09-15, 06:31 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Looks like the hanger AND frame broke .... Ouch.
Common cause is the "L" low limit screw misadjusted allowing the derailleur to shift off the largest cog into the spokes.
Another cause is a chain that's too short, so if you are in the big chainring and shift into the big cassette cog, you run out of chain and "SNAP'

What were the circumstances when this happened ? Details ?
After a second look, this seems to be the case. Painful. This may well be a frame integrity problem exacerbated by poor shifting adjustment, precipitated by gear selection. The first 2 are the probable causes, the third should not matter if the first 2 are good
Old 09-09-15, 11:14 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Whenever you get a new bike, make sure that the rear derailleur travel limits are set properly, and check them regularly. On new bikes the cables stretch a bit over the first miles, and the clearances on some parts changes as they break in. The bike was probably within spec when it was set up, but loosened up after some riding. With luck, the shop will probably take care of the problem, but you should be sure that you know how to check and adjust the clearance on the derailleurs, the brakes, and how to fine tune both. The mechanics at the shop can show you how.
Old 09-10-15, 01:33 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Apparently this got crossposted.

Cube Litening C68 Snapped off Rear Derailleur | CycleChat Cycling Forum

Anyway, my interpretation is that this is a poor design. The derailleur hangers should be engineered to fail without also taking out the frame..

In this case, there seems to be a descending portion of the frame that is bolted to the derailleur hanger, and a failure of the hanger will necessarily also take out a chunk of the frame. It really should be designed so that the wheel primarily holds the hanger in place, and failure just rips the hanger apart.

Of course, loose bits around the rear of the bike is never good.

Anyway, take it to the shop and see what they say.