Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2021 Sutra (I Finally Ordered it!)

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2021 Sutra (I Finally Ordered it!)

Old 10-23-20, 11:53 PM
AlanK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
I was half asleep when he called (I'm on midnight shift, so I sleep days). He mentioned something about the Kona Sutra LTD being the same frame, advent of bikepacking rigs, blah blah blah, touring bikes are old-fashioned.......yawn. Sorry I can't provide more.
Yeah, I figured it might be something along those lines. Since bikepacking/gravel bikes are all the rage now I guess they figure the road Sutra is passe'. The other models are quite a bit more expensive, so I'm sure significantly more profitable.

IMO that's too bad. A durable, mechanically simple touring bike is useful for many other applications: commuting, utility, light gravel come to mind. I guess we can take solace we're getting the final version.

Last edited by AlanK; 04-25-21 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-31-20, 05:43 PM
AlanK

Originally Posted by GeraldS
I'm in Canada, so it may be different and easier to get more bikes from Kona but I still do not understand why you,
who are in North America, like I am, and ordered back in July, still do not have your bike.

Hope you get good news soon from your LBS.
Did yours arrive yet?

It does seem Canada is getting bikes sooner than the US. I asked my LBS about this. He told me even though the two countries are close geographically they might have different supply chains. He said some bikes might be manufactured in Canada while most US manufacturers are in Taiwan. While I'm bummed to have missed cycling this summer and fall, hopefully I'll have it by the time weather improves in spring.
Old 10-31-20, 11:33 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanK
My speculation is inadequate sales, but this is entirely speculative.
I wonder how the Sutra compares to other models in their lineup. Usually if I see a Kona out and about, it's a Sutra. Then again, maybe I'm looking for them...
Old 11-02-20, 03:47 PM
GeraldS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes AllanK, I picked up my Sutra Saturday morning, very happy. Wanted to post a picture of the beast but cannot until I write 10 post. Ha well maybe later...

Did ride it a little but it was only 38 degrees outside with fairly good wind but I plan to ride more next week end since temperature should be close to 60 degrees.

It rides very well but need to get used to the bar-end shifters. I don't think it will be difficult.
Saddle is slippery and hard though, need to apply the Proofhide to it, they say it will help break in the saddle.

Do not regret my purchase.

Also my LBS did not hear any news from his Kona Rep about not having a Sutra for 2022.
He says they did not announce their decisions for 2022 but he already placed is bike orders for 2022
since they believe it will be even harder to get bikes for 2022 due to demand.

Last edited by GeraldS; 11-02-20 at 04:02 PM.
Likes For GeraldS:
Old 11-03-20, 10:30 AM
a_d_a_m

Saddle is slippery and hard though, need to apply the Proofhide to it, they say it will help break in the saddle.
I put a Brooks B17 on my current bike earlier this year and it was much the same. Took about 100-150 miles before that started to go away.
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 11-03-20, 06:16 PM
GeraldS

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I put a Brooks B17 on my current bike earlier this year and it was much the same. Took about 100-150 miles before that started to go away.
Just did the treatment of proofide, I’ll see if it helps. I do have a saddle I love on my hybrid, not sure but I may switch to be able to ride longer next weekend and try the B17 next summer. Not giving up on that saddle since there seems to be a consensus that it is a great saddle.
Likes For GeraldS:
Old 11-04-20, 01:06 AM
AlanK

Yes AllanK, I picked up my Sutra Saturday morning, very happy. Wanted to post a picture of the beast but cannot until I write 10 post. Ha well maybe later...

Did ride it a little but it was only 38 degrees outside with fairly good wind but I plan to ride more next week end since temperature should be close to 60 degrees.

It rides very well but need to get used to the bar-end shifters. I don't think it will be difficult.

Do not regret my purchase.

Also my LBS did not hear any news from his Kona Rep about not having a Sutra for 2022.
He says they did not announce their decisions for 2022 but he already placed is bike orders for 2022
since they believe it will be even harder to get bikes for 2022 due to demand.
Thanks for letting us know. I'm envious but not jealous since I'm happy for you rather than resentful; I just wish mine were here.

As for the bar-end shifters, I've had them before and absolutely love their simplicity, durability, and ultra-low maintenance. The only thing I ever really needed to do was replace the cables when they started to fray.

And also pls let us know how breaking in the Brooks saddle goes. It seems very much like a love it or hate it component so I'd like to get your perspective.
Old 11-04-20, 08:28 AM
GeraldS

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for letting us know. I'm envious but not jealous since I'm happy for you rather than resentful; I just wish mine were here.

As for the bar-end shifters, I've had them before and absolutely love their simplicity, durability, and ultra-low maintenance. The only thing I ever really needed to do was replace the cables when they started to fray.

And also pls let us know how breaking in the Brooks saddle goes. It seems very much like a love it or hate it component so I'd like to get your perspective.
Sorry that in the us they do not go through the same supply chain. Hope you get your bike before next bike season starts.
I just got mine but since winter is starting here, I will not use the bike so do not be to much envious. Just got our first snow fall yesterday.
Just traces on the floor that was gone this morning but still...
Temperature should be good starting tomorrow and for 4 or 5 days so I will be riding this weekend probably for the last time this year and until April/May.

I think I will like the bar-end shifters very much just due to the simplicity of use. I'm sure that the shifter on the break lever would have also demanded getting used to since coming from an hybrid bike.

Like stated above, will only ride once or twice before stopping for winter. Might use my other saddle for ride enjoyment and will break in the Brooks saddle in the spring.
Will keep you informed of how it goes then.

Last edited by GeraldS; 11-04-20 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-04-20, 11:26 AM
AlanK

Sorry that in the us they do not go through the same supply chain. Hope you get your bike before next bike season starts.
I just got mine but since winter is starting here, I will not use the bike so do not be to much envious. Just got our first snow fall yesterday.
Just traces on the floor that was gone this morning but still...
Temperature should be good starting tomorrow and for 4 or 5 days so I will be riding this weekend probably for the last time this year and until April/May.
Yeah, even though I'm bummed about the delay, I can take some solace that we're getting into the time of year when I wouldn't be riding much anyway and hopefully it will arrive in early Spring when I'll want to start cycling more regularly.
Old 12-06-20, 07:00 AM
a_d_a_m

I was at my LBS yesterday around closing time to have a couple beers (it's that kinda place!). The owner looked up his Kona orders and says my Sutra was officially scheduled last week for a January build date. With customs, it will likely be delivered in March/April.
Old 12-06-20, 04:39 PM
AlanK

I was at my LBS yesterday around closing time to have a couple beers (it's that kinda place!). The owner looked up his Kona orders and says my Sutra was officially scheduled last week for a January build date. With customs, it will likely be delivered in March/April.
Yeah, I'm getting antsy and I found a shop about 20 mi away with Rove, so gave it a test ride. I decided to be patient and wait for the Sutra.

While the Rove is a good bike it's more twitchy than I expected. They also had the Sutra LTD and ULTD in stock that they tried to sell me, but the standard Sutra fits my needs better so I'll wait.
Old 12-14-20, 11:03 AM
cbrossman

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to this forum, just received my 2021 58cm Sutra last week. Ordered from my LBS about 2 months ago.
While I have no indication this theory is correct, I wonder if Kona gives preferential treatment to bike shops that sell a lot of bikes? I live in Durango, and for such a small town, a lot of bikes are sold here. We have 5 bike shops.

I'm happy with the purchase, particularly for the price.
May swap out the tires, I've heard good things about the Marathon tires and if they roll better and have better flat performance, well then, it is a no brainer. And does not produce any sticker shock like good mountain bike tires!

Otherwise I need to get some miles on it somehow.
Old 12-14-20, 11:49 AM
AlanK

Originally Posted by cbrossman
New to this forum, just received my 2021 58cm Sutra last week. Ordered from my LBS about 2 months ago.

While I have no indication this theory is correct, I wonder if Kona gives preferential treatment to bike shops that sell a lot of bikes? I live in Durango, and for such a small town, a lot of bikes are sold here. We have 5 bike shops.
That may well be the case. The LBS here is about as small and independent as it gets. There's more space for service than sales-display and they only have about 2-3 employees. He told me he has a decent relationship with Kona, but as you say maybe they prioritize higher-volume shops.

Last edited by AlanK; 12-19-20 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-19-20, 06:48 AM
a_d_a_m

Originally Posted by cbrossman
I wonder if Kona gives preferential treatment to bike shops that sell a lot of bikes?
I can't see why that wouldn't be the case. If a shop is moving a lot of your product, you keep them stocked.
Old 01-15-21, 11:18 PM
AlanK

I Finally Got It!

I finally got it! Well, it's actually the 2020 model, but the specs are exactly the same (color is the only difference). Unfortunately it wasn't through my LBS, which I feel badly about, but he said he doesn't blame since he still doesn't know when he'd get it. He'll make money servicing it anyway.

I've only ridden it a little, but so far I really like it. It's very comfy, stable, and seems pretty efficient. The brakes have too much play, but that should be an easy adjustment.

Last edited by AlanK; 01-15-21 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Punctuation.
Likes For AlanK:
Old 01-16-21, 12:38 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 343 Posts
I finally got it! Well, it's actually the 2020 model, but the specs are exactly the same (color is the only difference). Unfortunately it wasn't through my LBS, which I feel badly about, but he said he doesn't blame since he still doesn't know when he'd get it. He'll make money servicing it anyway.

I've only ridden it a little, but so far I really like it. It's very comfy, stable, and seems pretty efficient. The brakes have too much play, but that should be an easy adjustment.
No pic?
Old 01-16-21, 06:58 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
No pic?
Yeah c'mon AlanK
Old 01-17-21, 03:26 PM
AlanK

No pic?
Originally Posted by bOsscO
Yeah c'mon AlanK
OK, I'll give it a try. It might be low def, but here you go. Please don't judge my messy living room...
Likes For AlanK:
Old 01-17-21, 10:53 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 343 Posts
Looks good (Ignoring the living room)
Old 01-17-21, 11:10 PM
AlanK

Looks good (Ignoring the living room)
Forgive me I'm a bachelor.
Likes For AlanK:
Old 02-05-21, 06:41 PM
GeraldS

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike AlanK.

Took a while but you finally got one, happy for you.
in deed the specs on the 2020 and 2021 bikes are identical to the exception of the colour.
Mine is a 2021 model and has a darker green colour.

As for the breaks I was told by my LBS that the brakes will be bad for a bit while they break in.
I did got out for my first big ride, well for me anyway, on November first, did a 50 km or about 30 miles ride and the bike was great, no problem what so ever but the brakes are in deed not great for now so I was just more cautious and put on the brakes early.

Now, if winter can finish so I can ride some more I’ll be happy.
Likes For GeraldS:
Old 02-05-21, 08:53 PM
a_d_a_m

Somewhat foolishly, I don't have a Plan B as far as buying a touring bike - I'm 'all in' on the Sutra. So when I keep hearing about Sutras showing up for people, I'm real happy for y'all but also a little antsy that I haven't heard anything about the one that's allegedly being sent for me. I put in my request for one months ago, and my LBS sells a TON of Kona.

Doing my first tour in August and really don't want to do 326 miles on the 1x setup I currently rock....
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 02-05-21, 10:31 PM
AlanK

As for the breaks I was told by my LBS that the brakes will be bad for a bit while they break in.
I did got out for my first big ride, well for me anyway, on November first, did a 50 km or about 30 miles ride and the bike was great, no problem what so ever but the brakes are in deed not great for now so I was just more cautious and put on the brakes early.

Now, if winter can finish so I can ride some more I’ll be happy.
Yeah, the weather here in the PNW has been typically crappy lately so I haven't ridden much. The brakes actually seem OK with the limited riding I've done so far, though I did tinker with them just a bit. The cables were a bit slack so tightened them slightly. Then one rotor side was ribbing so I made other minor adjustments and they seems OK now, but we'll see.

So far it's been great. While a little heavy it's not stoopid heavy as they say and it's a nice combination of road, gravel, and a hint of mountain bike as advertised. I've only ridden a couple bikes with 650b/27.5" wheels, but the Sutra's 700c wheels do seem faster on pavement. While I prefer the 2021 color, the 2020 paint looks better than I expected. I'll post updates with experience.

Somewhat foolishly, I don't have a Plan B as far as buying a touring bike - I'm 'all in' on the Sutra. So when I keep hearing about Sutras showing up for people, I'm real happy for y'all but also a little antsy that I haven't heard anything about the one that's allegedly being sent for me. I put in my request for one months ago, and my LBS sells a TON of Kona.

Doing my first tour in August and really don't want to do 326 miles on the 1x setup I currently rock....
Yeah, as I said while I felt guilty not buying it from my LBS, he seems understanding since there's so much uncertainty with the supply chain. I'm buying all accessories from him and he'll be my primary wrench, so at least I'm supporting my LBS in those regards.

Last edited by AlanK; 02-06-21 at 01:30 AM.
Likes For AlanK:
Old 02-07-21, 10:39 AM
SoFloGirl68

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker and a 1990s Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
They told me about 4-6 wks.
This really makes me wonder. I ordered a 2021 Kona Sutra in October. I was told February, then March and now April. In the meantime, I've bought a used Disc Trucker lol
Old 02-07-21, 03:49 PM
AlanK

Originally Posted by SoFloGirl68
This really makes me wonder. I ordered a 2021 Kona Sutra in October. I was told February, then March and now April. In the meantime, I've bought a used Disc Trucker lol
That's probably a smart backup esp since I'm guessing you didn't pay too much? I originally posted this thread shortly after I ordered back in July and my LBS got the same story from Kona. First it was October, then December, then April. It's a nice bike,but the delay is annoying.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.