Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Confused with bike sizing.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-22-21, 12:18 PM
Johndan73

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, Can you help me out with bike sizing, I'm 5' 8" – 171cm, inseam 32” - 81cm I been told I need a medium size , most medium size frams are 21” - 54cm, on canyon’s built insizing tool on their web site I put in my height and inseam and it told me I'm a XS 18.5 47cm can you advise thanks

Old 02-22-21, 12:33 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Medium or around 54cm should be good for you. Mtb? 17.5-18.5" ish. XS? No way.
Old 02-22-21, 12:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
You buying a new bike? You really need to go by the manufacturer's suggested size for the particular model you are looking at when you lack your own experience. Even for older bikes you can sometimes find the sizing recommendation from the maker.

Just because you fit a certain size of one model doesn't mean that's the size you fit on another model.
Old 02-22-21, 12:51 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Johndan73
Hi, Can you help me out with bike sizing, I'm 5' 8" – 171cm, inseam 32” - 81cm I been told I need a medium size , most medium size frams are 21” - 54cm, on canyon’s built insizing tool on their web site I put in my height and inseam and it told me I'm a XS 18.5 47cm can you advise thanks

A. Canyon sizing is different from every other manufacturer that I have experience with.
B. When I input the values you listed, it shows small, not XS.
C. My height and inseam is the same as what you listed, and my Canyon is a small and fits great.
Old 02-22-21, 12:58 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
this is not the first that I have heard of Canyon's fitting calculator giving whacky recommendations. I just plugged in your numbers on the Canyon site and it says you should be on a XS frame in the Grail 7 (I picked a bike at random). That's really weird.

I also just looked at their geometry and their sizing is weird. at 5'9", I would need a "small." my wife is short and she's a full 10 centimeters shorter than what their smallest bike should fit. why are they making their bikes so large?

Last edited by mack_turtle; 02-22-21 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-23-21, 05:48 PM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
Always test ride several bikes when you can, even two sizes of the same model. I found that I preferred the smaller size even when the manufacturer said I should go a size larger. In the case of manufacturers like Canyon that only sell direct, you might consider plugging them into bikeinsights.com https://bikeinsights.com to compare against other bikes you’ve actually thrown a leg over.
Old 02-24-21, 08:41 AM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts
I agree with those who suggest test rides. A friend of mine and I both have a 56 cm frame Specialized Diverge. He is 6' 2", I am 5' 10". I believe manufacture recommended size is a good starting point but you may be plus or minus based on personal preference.
Old 02-24-21, 09:28 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Knowing your preferred stack is a good starting point here. I largely ignore t-shirt sizing and seat tube or top tube sizing and just focus on stack and reach. To determine the stack and reach, find a bike that fits you well and either look up or measure the stack and reach on that bike.

Even knowing your stack and reach don't solve all problems. For example, my Giant Defy has a very tall measured stack. However, Giant has taken almost 15mm out of the fork length on the bike when compared to similar endurance models like the Domane. This makes the Defy actually have a more aggressive front end than a Domane or Roubaix despite what the stack measurement might lead you to believe. Similarly, a reach measurement doesn't account for the effect of the stem length and bar reach of a given complete bike. Stem length and bar reach can vary widely. For that reason, I also measured and memorized my preferred "true reach" from the nose of the saddle to the center of the lever hoods which allows me to determine if the stem and bar on a bike I'm considering are going to work for me. Snub nosed saddles have now screwed up even that measurement. Gah.

One note: Canyon's sizing is unorthodox, their bikes are generally significantly larger than the same t-shirt size on another brand. This is annoying given that Canyon is a direct sales brand and you can't try before you buy. BMC also has wacky sizing.

Last edited by Hiro11; 02-24-21 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-24-21, 09:51 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Hi, Can you help me out with bike sizing, I'm 5' 8" – 171cm, inseam 32” - 81cm I been told I need a medium size , most medium size frams are 21” - 54cm, on canyon’s built insizing tool on their web site I put in my height and inseam and it told me I'm a XS 18.5 47cm can you advise thanks.
what specific Canyon bike(s) are you looking at?

I just checked the sizing for an Exceed hardtail and Canyon says I should get a small. I am 175cm tall with a 84 cm (actual) inseam and they say I should ride a bike with a 415mm reach, 597 stack, and 575 ETT. The 75° STA is on the steep side of a XC hardtail. that geo is consistent with "old school" XC sizing for a small bike designed for someone a few inches shorter than me. the only way that bike would fit me would be with a 100mm+ stem. I like a fairly compact fit on my mountain bike, so I don't know what Canyon is doing. I'll cross Canyon off my list of bikes I would ever buy because I can't see their sizing as anything other than totally whack.

Last edited by mack_turtle; 02-24-21 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-24-21, 10:08 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I concur about Canyon sizing being different than most manufacturers. When I was thinking of buying an Inflite last year, I assumed I needed a medium (which would align with most other manufacturer's sizing), but when I ran through the Canyon bike fit calculator, it recommended a Small.
Old 02-25-21, 08:42 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
You are the same height and inseam as me. A lot of manufacturers have us in the overlap area between med and small. I go for mediums now, years ago I would go small for a "race fit".
Old 02-25-21, 10:44 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You really need to go by the manufacturer's suggested size for the particular model you are looking at when you lack your own experience...Just because you fit a certain size of one model doesn't mean that's the size you fit on another model.
True that. Lots of new frame designs are being rolled out, and geometries vary, especially between bike type (road, mtb, hybrid, etc.) Not something you want to get wrong, if you can't try the bike you're considering.
Old 02-25-21, 11:00 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,472 Posts
mtb chart/

Old 02-25-21, 11:47 AM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Both the SM and XS will fit.
171cm, I would go for the XS. SM will work but you may not be able to get your position correct on it.

Old 02-25-21, 12:37 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,600 Times in 5,946 Posts
Unless you have a good handle on bike fit, buying a bike by mail is a dodgy proposition. I bought an Endurace from Canyon this summer. Given my height and inseam (6', 34.5"), Canyon would have had me on a Medium. I already have 3 bikes set up within a few mm of each other that all work great for me, so I measured them carefully and worked with the Canyon geometry table to determine what would fit - a Large. When I got it, I set it up as close to the other bikes as I could, and it's perfect. The Medium would have had the bar much too close for me.

So, I'd only order by mail if I knew exactly how I wanted to set it up, and determined what size would allow that. Otherwise, it's kind of a crap shoot.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-25-21, 11:33 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Knowing your preferred stack is a good starting point here. I largely ignore t-shirt sizing and seat tube or top tube sizing and just focus on stack and reach. To determine the stack and reach, find a bike that fits you well and either look up or measure the stack and reach on that bike.

Even knowing your stack and reach don't solve all problems. For example, my Giant Defy has a very tall measured stack. However, Giant has taken almost 15mm out of the fork length on the bike when compared to similar endurance models like the Domane. This makes the Defy actually have a more aggressive front end than a Domane or Roubaix despite what the stack measurement might lead you to believe. Similarly, a reach measurement doesn't account for the effect of the stem length and bar reach of a given complete bike. Stem length and bar reach can vary widely. For that reason, I also measured and memorized my preferred "true reach" from the nose of the saddle to the center of the lever hoods which allows me to determine if the stem and bar on a bike I'm considering are going to work for me. Snub nosed saddles have now screwed up even that measurement. Gah.

One note: Canyon's sizing is unorthodox, their bikes are generally significantly larger than the same t-shirt size on another brand. This is annoying given that Canyon is a direct sales brand and you can't try before you buy. BMC also has wacky sizing.
^^^ All of this ^^^ Get a profressional fit and get your stack and reach, especially if you're going to mail order that big of an investment.. You sound like you have long legs. I'm four inches taller than you and have the same inseam. Maybe I have short legs
Old 02-25-21, 11:49 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
I'm 5' 9" with a 33" inseam. I ride a 54cm road bike and a 54cm gravel bike. That's "my size," just as it has been since about 1979. But on an All City Nature Boy, I'm a 49cm. On a Breezer Radar, I fit a 51cm. On a Black Mountain Road Plus, it's a 47cm. In general, the top tube length, stack, and reach are the measurements you need to pay attention to; these days, you can pretty much ignore the seat tube measurement, and any S, M, L, XL designations.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 02-26-21, 06:15 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Originally Posted by Rolla
I'm 5' 9" with a 33" inseam. I ride a 54cm road bike and a 54cm gravel bike. That's "my size," just as it has been since about 1979. But on an All City Nature Boy, I'm a 49cm. On a Breezer Radar, I fit a 51cm. On a Black Mountain Road Plus, it's a 47cm. In general, the top tube length, stack, and reach are the measurements you need to pay attention to; these days, you can pretty much ignore the seat tube measurement, and any S, M, L, XL designations.
I agree with the above, except when it comes to Canyon. Take a look at their size designations and the geometry associated with those. It's totally silly.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 02-26-21, 06:35 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I think for Road and Gravel bikes, this is pretty spot on.

Now that I know my exact fit on a bike, with Reach, Stack, Head Tube Angle and a good calculator, I’ve been able to nail within +/- 10mm how I am going to fit on a bike (assuming I use my same bars).

Of course, you are trusting that they have the measurements right. But most of the time if they are going to bother giving reach and stack it is an indication that they take sizing accuracy seriously.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-26-21, 09:15 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
Start with saddle height. From that and some idea of desired saddle to bar drop, a proper stack can be determined. Reach will be in the 370-380 range.

Size numbers and letters mean little. I also look at seat tube length because I have long legs for my for my 5'-6" height. My saddle height is 73cm and I set my bar height to produce a 10cm saddle to bar drop.

I normally look for a stack that's no more than 527mm. I now have an XS or 46cm Cinelli superstar with a 509mm stack. It requires 15mm of spacer on top of 15mm headset top cover, with a -17 stem, or a 30mm headset top cover. A -6 stem would raise the bars by about 2cm. The 46cm seat tube is on the short side, but anything in the 45-48cm range will work.