Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Easy Q for the Falcon enthusiasts.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-08, 05:02 AM
viscount
Viscount

Bikes: Mercian, Viscount x2, Holdworth La Quelda, Gundle Trade Bike, Williams/Mercian Tourer, Itera,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Got this Falcon roadbike/tourer, which seems to be late 1960s early 1970s to me.
Has what may be original chain-wheel and it has a logo on the cranks I do not recognise.

Thought it might be TA but cannot find confirmation on the net.

More pics here:
https://flickr.com/photos/bikesruz/

Old Falcon New project.

Would appreciate comments/advice re old Falcons.

This one is as follows:
FALCON 21" SPORTS/TOURER

Frame/forks/stem/bars look original.
Stem is chrome steel, bars GB Meas.
Levers both Weinmann but differing.
One quick release the other not.

Other components may be replacements.
Pair of Weinmannn Junior calipers.
Not original since Centre Pull bracket/cable-stop is still fitted.
Presume therefore C/Pulls were original.

Wheels steel Rigida. Unlikely to be original!

Rear mech/downtube changer is Huret. Obvious replacement.

Chainwheel. Unrecognised make. (Has logo like a T enclosed in a circle)
Has a circular bolt on chain-guard. Union pedals.

Has pump pegs on the down-tube.

Has cable stop braze ons on the lower right top-tube.

Has gear cable stop braze-ons on the chain-stays.

No 'pips' for down-tube changer fixing.

Lugs have short pointed extensions. (I've seen longer ones on Falcons!)

No frame number visible yet.

Head-tube badge is raised/rivetted type.

Seat stays not cross-overs rather just brazed to the sides of the seat-lugs.
Seat-stays are thin and delicate looking.

Stay ends/drop-outs are pressed steel, not forged.

Don't think it is 531.

Forks have chromed caps.

Will post pics of complete bike later today.
Old 03-21-08, 09:54 AM
viscount
Viscount

Bikes: Mercian, Viscount x2, Holdworth La Quelda, Gundle Trade Bike, Williams/Mercian Tourer, Itera,

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Herewith some pics of the old Falcon.

Only original parts as far as I know are Bluemels Popular guards/fenders, bars/stem, and maybe/probably the chain-wheel.
It originally had centre-pulls but these are my replacements for the Weinmann Junior side-pulls that came with it.
(I know the rear doesn't reach!! Just trying it out.)

Has good lugs and came with GB Maes bars so it seems like an interesting machine.

Would like to know its age and any history pre 1970, when Coventry Eagle started using the name.
I had thought that Falcon started then, but now I know the Falcon name preceded 1970.
Old 03-21-08, 06:05 PM
Trefor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Id hazard a guess that those cranks are Thun, a German component maker.
Old 03-22-08, 08:53 AM
viscount
Viscount

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trefor
Id hazard a guess that those cranks are Thun, a German component maker.
Thanks for that.
You could be right because the pedals are Union, made in Germany.
Checking the Thun site their current logo is very similar, just modernised you could say.

Could be the chain-wheel is made by them too.
I'm determined to track down the year and model of this machine.
I have discovered that is has had a repaint covering the original bright green.
That should narrow the options!
Old 03-22-08, 01:00 PM
steppinthefunk 
Designer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by viscount
(I know the rear doesn't reach!! Just trying it out.)
after looking at the pic of those brakes I had a sudden flashback from when I was a kid. For some reason I have a feeling that I used to adjust my brakes so that they would clamp down on the tire instead of the rim.
Old 03-22-08, 01:44 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by viscount
Got this Falcon roadbike/tourer
...snip...
Has pump pegs on the down-tube.

Has cable stop braze ons on the lower right top-tube.

Has gear cable stop braze-ons on the chain-stays.
No 'pips' for down-tube changer fixing.

Lugs have short pointed extensions. (I've seen longer ones on Falcons!)
...snip...
Seat stays not cross-overs rather just brazed to the sides of the seat-lugs.
...snip...

Stay ends/drop-outs are pressed steel, not forged.

Don't think it is 531.

Forks have chromed caps.
...snip...
There are two full Falcon catalogs from '73 and '74 on Robert Broderick's Wool Jersey gallery. I will PM you about them.
In those, there are two levels of Super-Tourist bikes, I think model 88/89 Deluxe (gents' and ladies' with Reynolds 531) and 82/83 ("not-quite-so-sophisticated," for which 531 is not mentioned, but these came in "Rich Flamboyant Green" -- reminds me of the Black Adder "purest green" episode). These bikes are listed as being 5-speed geared, and the illustration (of the Deluxe) clearly shows a derailer on the rear, and downtube-mounted pump, but I can't see any shifters -- definitely not on the handlebars. There seems to be a cable running down the right seatstay, too, ending with a loop at the derailer -- that wouldn't correspond with your cable stops on chainstay(s). There are other models in the '73 catalog that are "Lime Green", both high end bikes and lower; but my guess is that your frame is one of the Tourists. One other thing, they appear to have sidepull brakes.

Here's a link to the '73 catalog:
https://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/...n/Falcon-1973/
Since Robert Broderick has been, shall we say "sensitive," about images from his archive being used elsewhere, I won't post the page I'm referring to, unfortunately. I think that's an unfortunate attitude; I applaud him for amassing such a trove, but it's not like he created all that material.

I have a frame believed to be a Falcon, that was discussed awhile ago on this forum; and I'm mystified about the relationship/evolution of Coventry Eagle and Falcon. Historical sketches suggest that CE became Falcon in 1970, and that Ernie Clements designed cycles for CE before it was Falcon. My frame has some signs that it is older than the 70s, such as a grease or oil port in the bottom bracket -- yet it has holes in the head tube that are a perfect fit for a Falcon badge, and the Coventry Eagle badges I've seen have 3 holes, not two, like on the frame I have. Perhaps the two brands were sold concurrently for awhile.
Old 03-23-08, 06:38 AM
viscount
Viscount

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
... There are other models in the '73 catalog that are "Lime Green", both high end bikes and lower; but my guess is that your frame is one of the Tourists. One other thing, they appear to have sidepull brakes.

My frame has some signs that it is older than the 70s, such as a grease or oil port in the bottom bracket -- yet it has holes in the head tube that are a perfect fit for a Falcon badge, and the Coventry Eagle badges I've seen have 3 holes, not two, like on the frame I have. Perhaps the two brands were sold concurrently for awhile.
The Lime Green, if that's what it is, is visible on the pic above, above the rear mech.
Definitely the original colour. Close examination of the head badge shows the blue was a bit of an amatuerish job.
Also mine has a grease/oil nipple on the underside of the BB. But no visible numbers anywhere I can find.
Just has to be pre 1970 I reckon.

The distinction between pressed and cut drop-outs is something that hadn't occurred to me!
Live and learn hey?

I've had to join the forum to access the link you gave me but I've not been accepted/confirmed yet.
Any info or catalogues I find will be posted here and available to all without restriction.
Old 07-29-08, 08:44 PM
ricgre
Falcon Chaser

Bikes: Raleigh, Trek, Schwinn, Falcon, Specialized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Falcon bikes, which survives as lesser marque of the Tandem group is one of the classic names in British frames, and its founder, Ernie Clements one of the great British post-war generation racers turned frame-builder and designer. (3 times British national road champion 1943, 1945, 1946, two Nationals seconds, and a Worlds and Olympic appearance), He made his own frames as early as 1945, but by the early '50s became managing director of Coventry Cycles/Coventry Eagle. By the late '60's they were working out of the same building as Elswick Hopper, although still independent. Classic Rendezvous reprints a test ride of an Ernie Clements Falcon San Remo Equipe from 1962, (a model name which persists today as a Claud Butler model-derived from the Milan-San Remo classic race), but it seems that the firm name was not changed to Falcon until 1970.
From about 1970, Coventry Eagle/Falcon became Falcon effectively running as a separate firm building high-end bikes designed by Ernie Clements, who like Masi and Colnago applied his racing experience to frame design. He actively promoted racing in the UK, sponsoring the British national professional team from the 1950s through to the 90's and is credited with building Tom Simpson 's bikes among others.
By the early 70s the Falcon line included the San Remo Equipe # 276 (Reynolds 531 DB including forks, all Campagnolo Record including Campagnolo brakes, Cinelli fork crown and spearpoint lugs), and entry level racing model Super Route #92 (Reynolds, Shimano derailers Weinmann brakes), Cote D'Azur #84 (Reynolds DB, mix of Campagnolo Super Record, Weinmann sidepull and Shimano) and Olympic #78 (mens) and #79 (women's) with std wheels.
The classic Falcon colour scheme is a powder blue, with contrasting head tube (red or white), contrasting panel on the down tube in the same color, with white top tube and down tube white panel decals with Falcon in large red script. The head badge is a lovely gold & red shield, torch on top, Falcon in script on a red background, with a falcon in the center. The high end frames have a decal, on the rear stay that say in script "Designed by Ernie Clements." Later bikes have a more subdued brush script "Falcon" on the down tube only.
By February 1973, Falcon produced an Eddie Merckx branded line in Merckx Molteni orange, noted on the catalogue as "Designed by Ernie Clements" and "Approved" by Merckx. These appeared in collaboration with similar Merckx branded frames by Kessel of Belgium. The firms apparently had an agreement on marketing areas, with Kessel getting Europe, and both paying royalties to Merckx.
Old 07-31-08, 02:07 PM
viscount
Viscount

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd forgotten about this one.
It's still dismantled waiting for attention.

I'm sure I've read the above somewhere before but it didn't answer the awkward questions.
Like, is it worth spending time resuscitating it?
Answer: Probably, but it needs time...
Why is there so little info about Falcons on the net?
Old 08-02-08, 07:39 AM
ricgre
Falcon Chaser

Bikes: Raleigh, Trek, Schwinn, Falcon, Specialized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice lineup. Love that 1947 Silverthan.
I am partial to Lenton's as well. I have a men's Violet 63 Raleigh Lenton in my lineup.

Not sure why the lack of Falcon info. It is frustrating for sure. As hard to find lit as it is a mint San Remo. I think that one is worth restoring and up grading but then I always seek full wrap stays vs fastback stays. I once had a Falcon stipped ondown and actually had the welds improved before repaint. Good Falcons are hard to come by and all Falcons seem to be bringing better $$ these days if that is an issue. But I very seldom sell or base decisons on purchase\restore on value. If I like the bike then I do waht feels right for me.

I am still chasing a vintage Condor as well.

Have you talked to anybody over at Falcon?

Cheers Mate,

Update:
Must have looked at wrong bike that one doesn't have full wrap stays.

Last edited by ricgre; 08-02-08 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-03-08, 03:25 AM
viscount
Viscount

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Haven't talked to anybody at Falcon yet, nor even the Marque enthusiast at the V-CC.
Truth is it is on the back burner just now, but it will get some attention eventually.
I just loved the badge and thought it deserved rescuing, it would probably have been scrapped had I not brought it home with me.
I bought it along with a Pollard Hellenic and it was partly to mask my interest in that lovely machine...
The sellers were essentially dealers and had no idea what they had.

The Lenton is a very nice machine and currently on ebay:
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MESE:IT&ih=002

Won't get much I think, but I'd sooner it go to some lady who will appreciate and use it.
It had been stored in a greenhouse for a long while.
I just cleaned it up and gave it a service.

I watched a very nice Clubman go for more than I could afford last week:
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Gents-...QQcmdZViewItem
Ain't that the way?
Old 08-03-08, 02:29 PM
ianfarnell808

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello ricgre

I have an 1983 Coventry Eagle which was build in
Ernie Clements factory and from what I was told belonged to him (no idea if it is true and I guess they all belonged to him in some way!). I also have the catalog of that year showing the full range of Coventry Eagle bikes and Ernie on the phone in his office taking orders.

I could scan a few pics if anyone is interested. My information is he took the Coventry eagle name and started a factory in Mochdre, Newtown, Powys, Wales. It was the coventy eagle cycle and motor company.

Thanks

Ian

Last edited by ianfarnell808; 08-03-08 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-03-08, 03:56 PM
viscount
Viscount

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ianfarnell808
Hello ricgre

I have an 1983 Coventry Eagle which was build in
Ernie Clements factory and from what I was told belonged to him (no idea if it is true and I guess they all belonged to him in some way!). I also have the catalog of that year showing the full range of Coventry Eagle bikes and Ernie on the phone in his office taking orders.

I could scan a few pics if anyone is interested. My information is he took the Coventry eagle name and started a factory in Mochdre, Newtown, Powys, Wales. It was the coventy eagle cycle and motor company.
Thanks
Ian
Would be nice to see some pics.
You seen this Coventry Eagle here?
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=448387

Scroll down to the red machine in the foreground.
Old 08-03-08, 04:19 PM
ianfarnell808

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok I'll snap a pic of mine tonight and post it, I also like to make the catalog available for people to look at (any idea where I can post it?). Mine is a Coventry Eagle Supreme but I'm ashamed to say I've added aero brake levers and and 'fancy' 105 rear mech. I have all the original stuff just in case I ever want to put it back.

Pics to follow...
Old 08-04-08, 04:28 AM
viscount
Viscount

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ok I'll snap a pic of mine tonight and post it, I also like to make the catalog available for people to look at (any idea where I can post it?). Mine is a Coventry Eagle Supreme but I'm ashamed to say I've added aero brake levers and and 'fancy' 105 rear mech. I have all the original stuff just in case I ever want to put it back.
Pics to follow...
Posting catalogues is something I have been trying to do recently.
Mark Bulgiers site seems to be a good place to start, a one stop shop for multitudes of great catalogues.
https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/
I haven't actually contacted him yet to find out how to do it! (I'm not too web savvy yet!)

Or Jon Fischers Velobase.
https://www.velobase.com/
I have a comprehensive 1948ish 90+ page Raleigh Dealers Catalogue, scanned it in high definition and put it on a CD and posted it!!
Uploading 90+ large pages was something I couldn't face doing!

Having said all that I'm willing to put all mine onto a CD and post it to any BF members for postage.
Might be a good idea to ask everybody, via a new thread, to declare all their cats and collect them together on one or two CDs (or DVD?) and make it available to all.

Be good to see your CE, modified or not.
I modify my machines as necessary, and if you keep the originals nothing wrong with that in my opinion.
Main purpose is to use them
Old 08-04-08, 01:23 PM
ianfarnell808

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my Coventry Eagle from 1983. I'll have a go at scanning the catalog.

Old 08-04-08, 02:05 PM
viscount
Viscount

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That is a super, neat machine!
What is the spec on it then?
I know nothing about them, but seeing yours I'm interested to learn more
Old 08-04-08, 02:27 PM
ianfarnell808

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's 531 in the main tubes with half chrome forks. The rims are Mavic MA-40 with a Mavic 501 rear hub and a 105 front hub. I got the rim NOS and hand the wheels built at Hewitts in Leyland, UK. Also I put a 7 speed HG freewheel on the back and oddly the smothest chain I could find was a Campy 9 speed. It runs almost silently. I love to see if there are any more Eagles about I never seem to be able to find much information on them or news of other owners.

I've rode all over on this bike (including a couple of 100 mile plus rides) and find it the best riding of all my bikes, maybe it's the 531 steel?

Ian.
Old 08-05-08, 08:16 AM
viscount
Viscount

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's 531 in the main tubes with half chrome forks. The rims are Mavic MA-40 with a Mavic 501 rear hub and a 105 front hub. I got the rim NOS and hand the wheels built at Hewitts in Leyland, UK. Also I put a 7 speed HG freewheel on the back and oddly the smothest chain I could find was a Campy 9 speed. It runs almost silently. I love to see if there are any more Eagles about I never seem to be able to find much information on them or news of other owners.

I've rode all over on this bike (including a couple of 100 mile plus rides) and find it the best riding of all my bikes, maybe it's the 531 steel?

Ian.
Great machine.
I had no idea Coventry Eagle were doing such nice machines.
So little information about these, and other similar bicycles, available on the net.

Dawes is disappointing this way too, considering how many they produced.
We started a Dawes group on Flickr to try to rectify this. (See sig. below)

Maybe another group for Coventry Eagles is justified?
Really nice, sweet machine yours is.
The 531 frame is so good it's an education when you first ride one.
My Galaxy is similar, a bit heavy in its ready to ride spec, but so nice to ride for distances.
They deserve to be preserved, appreciated and ridden!
Old 08-05-08, 11:16 AM
ianfarnell808

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They also did some real fancy bikes way above mine. I have a small catalogues or information sheet with a picture of Barry Hoban on the front holding a real nice Coventry Eagle. Apparently he worked at the factory in Wales too.

I must dig the scanner out tonight!

Ian.
Old 08-05-08, 05:46 PM
ianfarnell808

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If anyone is interested here is a few pages from the Coventry Eagle Catalog. I've not scanned it all (I've posted the specs page in case anyone else has one and would like to know their original spec) but I will if anyone is interested. Some great hair cuts and a lot of frame building going on, not a robot in sight.

Old 08-06-08, 02:35 AM
viscount
Viscount

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for that.
Any idea what year?

It's just occurred to me that you may be able to get some information from the Coventry Transport Museum.
They have at least 3 in their collection and the bicycle curator is very helpful.
On another tack the Veteran Cycle Club has several Coventry Eagle catalogues in their library.
1900/24/34/36/48 so CE has some considerable history.
News to me at least!
Old 08-22-08, 11:57 PM
unprintable

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Super Course - Green

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys, as some of you may know I'm looking for a cheap but nice steel bicycle/frame to work with. Rather than start a thread I'll just revive this recently deceased thread...

Saw this Falcon on eBay: https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching

I haven't seen any Falcons with that decal on the net, and I also haven't seen that Reynolds decal before either. What's the deal with this bike, can anyone ID it, date it, or know what a good price might be for it?

P.S. Sorry for the ****ty eBay posts. I'm working under a very tight budget so the bikes I end up looking at end up usually being really rusty or bad pics, whatever.

Last edited by unprintable; 08-23-08 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-23-08, 05:13 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Looks like a nice frame, though the storage conditions look like they may have taken a toll on it. Components look to be good quality, and may clean up. Wolber rims are a good sign. Bottom line though: it's a greater-than-usual risk. I wouldn't pay more than $150 + shipping, and I'm an easy mark.
Old 08-23-08, 07:53 AM
ianfarnell808

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
have a look at the link below for the decal.

https://www.classicrendezvous.com/Bri...ds_gallery.htm

it might be the 1990's one.

In an case a full 531c frame is nice to have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.