Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ideas for a great, unforgettable, no worry bike locks.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-15, 03:27 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We all hate bike locks. They're heavy. You need a way to carry them, you need to remember your keys, etc. What are some ideas for better bike locks that don't exist yet.

Obviously cables suck, so anything involving a cable as the main lock is useless. Chains and U locks are much more durable.

This may be an eyesore, but I was thinking of a retractable chain attached to the water bottle cage bosses. Obviously the bolts would be hidden and security bitted. The chain doesn't have to go around the bike anywhere, since it's already securely attached to the bike. Basically reach out with the chain, wrap it around something and lock it to itself. For more security wrap it around something and your rear wheel, then lock it to the bike or itself.

Would it be more annoying to use than a normal U lock? You wouldn't need to carry anything, so that'd be nice.. However, I think the entire device would have to be heavy, as to protect against attack on the retractable mechanism itself. Actually, not really. Think of it this way. The two bolts that go into the frame in the water bottle bosses go through a relatively thick, bent piece of steel. The chain is threaded through that piece of steel before the bolts are put in so that it's trapped. The retractable mechanism can come after that and doesn't have to be secure at all, since it doesn't matter if it's destroyed, the chain is still attached to the bike. Any attempt to remove the chain from the bike would likely result in destroying the bike. (Chains are usually stronger than the water bottle bosses/aluminum/carbon frames.)

Obviously won't protect against bolt cutters, but neither will almost any lock.

I don't know how well it'd work. I'm in an inventive mood today. Please excuse my ramblings.
Old 11-24-15, 03:48 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
I'm a pretty big fan of the Dutch-made Axa locks. I've got an older, all-steel one on my Opafiets, and a newer one with a plastic shell and a cable lock.
The key remains in the frame-mounted lock while the bike is rolling, and the rear wheel will not turn unless the key is in it; like a car's ignition.
Fortunately my Globe Live 3 & Live 2 came with the bosses to mount the lock (which are hidden/protected by the lock's shells), and I was able to order them from the NL.

I don't have any pictures of the lock with the cable inserted, but it works great for locking two bikes to any bike rack. I wouldn't leave it overnight, and without the cable, anyone can still grab the bike and throw it in the back of a pickup, but it won't roll, so I employ it whenever running into the supermarket or restaurant.

Here's a Googled image of the cable I have for mine. It's long enough to loop through the frame & wheel, but they have other lengths and chains available too:

Nothing is foolproof, but I've been pretty happy with it so far. Of course it also helps that these Globe bikes are very rare, so hiding or selling them anywhere without getting caught is going to be difficult.
Old 11-24-15, 03:54 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

And here's what the old 80's Opafiets looks like with the Axa frame lock. This older one doesn't have the cable, but the bike is easily over 50 pounds (I suspect the frame tubes are not tubes at all, but actually solid steel rods), so no one's strutting quickly away with that thing.

Old 11-24-15, 04:25 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@calamarichris

Those look super cool. What kind of mounts does the bike need to use them?
Old 11-24-15, 05:02 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Originally Posted by corrado33
@calamarichris

They're not crazy-light--between a pound to a pound-and-a-half, and you don't have to have the forward-facing seatstay mounting bosses like my Globes have (sorry, don't have a photo.) The Axa locks also come with steel band mounts which can be tightened around the seatstays, and that is then hidden beneath the plastic lock body. The bosses are more secure and cleaner looking IMO.

If you Google Axa frame locks and look them up on Youtube, they can probably demonstrate more easily than I can describe it.
Old 11-24-15, 05:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
Steel Boxes that the bike Goes into and you secure with a Heavy Padlock ..

[I have an Axa Ringlock and a 1,4M chain, that is long enough to go around my front wheel and the Bike Rack I lock up-to.]

You Ride with the key in and take it out to lock Up , so Dont Lose the Key ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-24-15 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-24-15, 07:32 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
For the past several weeks I've used a fairly stout cable long enough to wind through both wheels, the frame and around a utility pole, along with a heavy disc padlock of the type used on storage building doors - very short shackle.

It's probably as secure as any single system, but takes too long to use. I don't mind when I'm by myself, but a few times when I'm riding with a friend who uses a much simpler, quicker security rig, I'm aware of how cumbersome my cable and padlock are.

So I'm considering something similar to the Axa system pictured above for the front and rear. It'll add a little weight but my Globe Carmel is already around 30+ lbs, and I use it a lot for groceries and errands, so a little more weight for a quicker lock won't matter.

That Globe Live with the belt drive looks nearly perfect as a utility bike, although I'd prefer the sloping top tube to make it easier to hoist my leg over on days when my hips and back are aching.

Incidentally, after accompanying my mom on several hospital visits the past year I've noticed several really crappy bikes locked in racks or on trees and utility poles... but one in particular had as good a compromise as I've seen between security and utility: It was a typical compact frame bike that looked like hell but actually had decent components and tires (mismatched but good quality all terrain Continental tires). Looked like something nobody would bother to steal, but was probably a good transportation bike. If I had to use my Globe Carmel for daily transportation to that area I'd probably ugly it up a bit to make it look like a cheap pawn shop bike, while retaining the stuff that makes it a pleasure to ride.
Old 11-24-15, 08:12 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Old 11-25-15, 11:27 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Originally Posted by canklecat
That Globe Live with the belt drive looks nearly perfect as a utility bike, although I'd prefer the sloping top tube to make it easier to hoist my leg over on days when my hips and back are aching.

Incidentally, after accompanying my mom on several hospital visits the past year I've noticed several really crappy bikes locked in racks or on trees and utility poles... but one in particular had as good a compromise as I've seen between security and utility: It was a typical compact frame bike that looked like hell but actually had decent components and tires (mismatched but good quality all terrain Continental tires). Looked like something nobody would bother to steal, but was probably a good transportation bike. If I had to use my Globe Carmel for daily transportation to that area I'd probably ugly it up a bit to make it look like a cheap pawn shop bike, while retaining the stuff that makes it a pleasure to ride.
A crappy bike can be its own best theft-deterrent.
The Globe does have a compact frame--any more compact and you're entering mixte territory, but good luck finding one; Globe made great bikes, so Specialized bought them and promptly discontinue the great models like the Live series.

Old 11-25-15, 12:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
@calamarichris

The Defender model from Axa, I bought, came packaged with a special Stainless band mount* that wraps around seatstays ,

and once tightly securing the lock to the frame the head of the screw that tightens the band around the frame (made of Zn it seems)
is made to break off locking the lock to the frame . *[ it wraps the band around a post some what like what you use to wind up the
top of a can of Kippered Herring or sardines..]

frames which plan on installing them have a braze on or riv-nut to screw into ..

placed ahead of the seat stays it seems the ring lock even if gotten loose, is still going to not let the wheel come out,
because of the ring lock's width.
Old 11-25-15, 04:20 PM
skye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
These guys claim that the AXA can be opened with a blank key. I cannot vouch for truthfulness.

Open an AXA bike lock with a blank key (Doh) | Hackaday

EDIT: Looks like AXA may have fixed the problem subsequently. Pitchforks may be safely stowed.

Last edited by skye; 11-25-15 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-25-15, 10:57 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Yeah, Globe offered some sensible utilitarian bikes at very reasonable prices. Seems like several manufacturers went through that phase in the mid-2000s, including some fairly innovative twists like the comfy cruisers using the Shimano Coasting system auto shifters. But that phase didn't seem to last and now it's pretty much just Electra's market with the Townies, at least among the better made bikes that are mass produced and reasonably priced. Everything else is road bikes, hybrids and mountain bikes. The handful of manufacturers still making good quality utility bikes are extremely expensive low production or custom jobs.

The most common hassle I encounter with my 7' cable and lock is getting it around a fat utility pole, through both wheels and, in some cases, the saddle too (silly quick release seat post). None of my neighborhood stores has a bike rack, which pretty much leaves metal light posts with those concrete pads, and the cable won't quite reach around everything. The Carmel has a tall handlebar stem so I may wrap a second cable and lock around it just for the front wheel.

Originally Posted by calamarichris
A crappy bike can be its own best theft-deterrent.
The Globe does have a compact frame--any more compact and you're entering mixte territory, but good luck finding one; Globe made great bikes, so Specialized bought them and promptly discontinue the great models like the Live series.

Old 11-26-15, 12:15 AM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Sooooo cute dogs!
Old 11-26-15, 12:40 AM
bentrimcycle

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The locks are necessary and i also like the design of the Axa locks.
Old 11-26-15, 07:00 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 68 Posts
How about something else? What if your group of riders find a home or business location that is practically next to that coffee shop or lunch place and it is advertised as a type of AIRBNB? A bike thief would have to break and enter a building with someone in it. Just buy your coffee and food next door and bring it into the building.
Old 11-26-15, 07:12 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
They're not crazy-light--between a pound to a pound-and-a-half, and you don't have to have the forward-facing seatstay mounting bosses like my Globes have (sorry, don't have a photo.) The Axa locks also come with steel band mounts which can be tightened around the seatstays, and that is then hidden beneath the plastic lock body. The bosses are more secure and cleaner looking IMO.
Breaking the mount might enable the thief to move the lock in a position where it's easier to attack it with tools, but otherwise it plays no role in security. I've had bikes where the rear wheel lock was fastened to frame with sturdy zip ties. If someone cuts the ties / band / breaks the mounting hardware, the lock is still attached to the wheel. They cannot remove the wheel from rear triangle, or ride the bike.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 11-26-15, 08:55 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Today is Thanksgiving.

One of the things that I'm most thankful for is that I have so little to contribute to bicycle lock threads. I have all but zero experience and all but zero need. My life is good.
Old 11-26-15, 10:19 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4760 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 1,011 Posts
https://twitter.com/yerkaproject