Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dented Seat Stay (Aluminum)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Dented Seat Stay (Aluminum)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-23, 11:50 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10250 Post(s)
Liked 5,211 Times in 2,235 Posts
Bike shop deems it safe to ride. Looks like i’ll ride it until I can afford to replace it. Not really happy about it but this whole situation just sucks.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 09-08-23, 02:52 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4539 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 1,098 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Requested touch up paint, not sure how that is going to work out. The frame is grey but the paint is called Dnester black. Trek has about 4 shades of black and 3 shades of grey for touch up paint. Have not gotten a clear answer on if that can be repaired. Filler and paint? Manager comes back today so hopefully I can get some answers.
Bike shops don't do body work. They will apply some touch up paint for you, but nothing special.

If you want to make it look nice without spending a lot of money, fill it with epoxy putty, then apply touch up paint, let dry, sand, reapply, let dry, sand, polish.

It really depends whether you have the skill and patience to try this or if you don't have that sort of inclination.
Old 09-08-23, 03:02 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by Kontact
Bike shops don't do body work. They will apply some touch up paint for you, but nothing special.

If you want to make it look nice without spending a lot of money, fill it with epoxy putty, then apply touch up paint, let dry, sand, reapply, let dry, sand, polish.

It really depends whether you have the skill and patience to try this or if you don't have that sort of inclination.
I’ll have to find someone. I have zero patience. Actually my wife wraps my bars, she might be able to do this.
Old 09-09-23, 02:32 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 537 Posts
Leave the paint alone or suffer tyour mistake..

Metallic paint is VERY DIFFICULT, if not Impossible, to blend into existing paint .
that's why auto body shops paint entire fenders, entire doors,or entire quarter panels.

good luck...

i'd leave it as it is.
Old 09-09-23, 02:41 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 860 Posts
a vinyl wrap place could wrap both rear seat stays to give it a different look.
Old 09-09-23, 03:12 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by maddog34
Leave the paint alone or suffer tyour mistake..

Metallic paint is VERY DIFFICULT, if not Impossible, to blend into existing paint .
that's why auto body shops paint entire fenders, entire doors,or entire quarter panels.

good luck...

i'd leave it as it is.
how bout if I just use some nail polish to fill in the chips?
Old 09-09-23, 03:28 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 2,728 Times in 1,522 Posts
Now you have it. Use the closest color match and just dab it on the bare metal to camouflage the damage and put it out of your mind.

FWIW - I stopped fretting over damage like this 50 years ago, when I realized that it was impossible to enjoy riding if I worried about the bike. These days, I look at dings on my bikes the same way as those on my body. They're not scars, they're memories.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 09-09-23, 03:29 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3576 Post(s)
Liked 2,997 Times in 1,813 Posts
The frame color is so dark that even if you didn’t match it exactly, you probably wouldn’t be able to tell from two feet away. Get some Testors model paint colors from Michael’s and let your wife have a go at mixing.
Old 09-09-23, 03:30 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 1,064 Posts
Bike shop deems it safe to ride...
Bike Shop.... Ha...

Put away the crying towel. Take the dam thing apart. Replace whats bent and broken. Check your frame alignment. Bondo that dent and cover it with reflective tape. And get to ridding...

Of course... You know this and have probably already started... Fun, Fun, FUN...
Old 09-09-23, 04:07 PM
bampilot06

I do appreciate the responses and the advice. I guess as much as I was looking for answers I was also wanting to vent. Rode it 62 miles today. Handled great. The chips honestly don’t look that bad, and the dent is what it is. Mechanic straightened the chain ring (i think). It’s not as bent as I remember it, but I am going to replace it. Sounds weird in some gears, and I would imagine it would cause the chain to wear as well.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 09-09-23, 04:30 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

..... Mechanic straightened the chain ring (i think). It’s not as bent as I remember it, but I am going to replace it. Sounds weird in some gears, and I would imagine it would cause the chain to wear as well.
The chain won't suffer because of the bent chainring. So no worries there.

However, if the ring is bent enough that the chain rubs the FD cage more than very occasionally, it will cause FD cage wear. Also, warped chainrings make it harder to adjust FD trim, so while replacement probably isn't necessary, it may be desirable.

That said, try to move past the notion of keeping everything perfect. Over time, well used bikes accumulate all kinds of minor damage. That's part of riding, and worrying about it will keep you from fully enjoying the ride.
Old 09-09-23, 04:57 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by FBinNY
The chain won't suffer because of the bent chainring. So no worries there.

However, if the ring is bent enough that the chain rubs the FD cage more than very occasionally, it will cause FD cage wear. Also, warped chainrings make it harder to adjust FD trim, so while replacement probably isn't necessary, it may be desirable.

That said, try to move past the notion of keeping everything perfect. Over time, well used bikes accumulate all kinds of minor damage. That's part of riding, and worrying about it will keep you from fully enjoying the ride.

It’s not about me trying to keep everything perfect. I have 4 other bikes. This isn’t my first bike or first crash. What upset me was that it was less than 5 days old. I think I do have a right to be upset about that. What’s done is done, just happy to have it back.
Old 09-09-23, 05:04 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 537 Posts
go for it.

what i do at times is find a rattle can of a similar color/tone/finish, then shoot some into a can cap and dab it on with a flat toothpick, q-tip, or small artist paint brush... i've also clipped the end off of a round toothpick and used that.
Large auto parts stores sometimes have a wide range of touch-up paints too.
not surprisingly, sometimes the big cans of paint cost less than the touch up bottles.

if you have a workstand, set the seat tube/line of chips at a horizontal, top position to limit sagging of the touch-up paint.

Last edited by maddog34; 09-09-23 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-09-23, 05:27 PM
FBinNY 

It’s not about me trying to keep everything perfect. I have 4 other bikes. This isn’t my first bike or first crash. What upset me was that it was less than 5 days old. I think I do have a right to be upset about that. What’s done is done, just happy to have it back.
Sorry if my post wasn't clear. I wasn't challenging your legitimate beef.

I was trying to give you a basis for a decision about the chainring. Specifically pointing out how to decide whether it was bad enough to replace for mechanical considerations, ie. rubbing or trimming, or purely from choice.
Old 09-09-23, 05:42 PM
bampilot06

Sorry if my post wasn't clear. I wasn't challenging your legitimate beef.

I was trying to give you a basis for a decision about the chainring. Specifically pointing out how to decide whether it was bad enough to replace for mechanical considerations, ie. rubbing or trimming, or purely from choice.
It’s relatively flat where I live. 60 mile ride equals about 2000 feet of elevation. The gears that I am most commonly in, I didn’t notice any rubbing. In the event of a hill, and using larger gears rubbing took place. Rubbing doesn’t bother me as much as the noise the chain was making. Shop has a 52T chain ring in stock so I’ll just swap it.

Only other issue. The barrallel adjuster was knocked out of the RD. It was to the side of RD when I got home after the crash. When I touched it, the tension on the cable snapped it back to where the threads are, but it doesn’t appear to be attached anymore. I tried to screw if in but appears broken. Cable tension is the only thing holding it in place. At the moment it’s shifting fine, so not really an a big deal. Don’t know if this will lead to problems down the road.
Old 09-09-23, 06:34 PM
FBinNY 

....Only other issue. The barrel adjuster was knocked out of the RD. ...but it doesn’t appear to be attached anymore. I tried to screw if in but appears broken. Cable tension is the only thing holding it in place. At the moment it’s shifting fine, so not really an a big deal Don’t know if this will lead to problems down the road.
Won't lead to problems, but may cause inconvenience if/when the RD wants the trim fine tuned.

OK to put off replacing it, but start looking for a replacement. Maybe let your mechanic know to save you one from a crashed bike.

When comes to replace, you can possibly turn it out by the section showing below the arm (do not Mar the threads by squeezing hard with pliers), or tapping a small jewelers screwdriver into it to get a bite on the ID and backing out.

Having the replacement in hand in advance means no lost time later.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 09-09-23, 06:37 PM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2544 Post(s)
Liked 3,024 Times in 1,722 Posts
It’s relatively flat where I live. 60 mile ride equals about 2000 feet of elevation. The gears that I am most commonly in, I didn’t notice any rubbing. In the event of a hill, and using larger gears rubbing took place. Rubbing doesn’t bother me as much as the noise the chain was making. Shop has a 52T chain ring in stock so I’ll just swap it.

Only other issue. The barrallel adjuster was knocked out of the RD. It was to the side of RD when I got home after the crash. When I touched it, the tension on the cable snapped it back to where the threads are, but it doesn’t appear to be attached anymore. I tried to screw if in but appears broken. Cable tension is the only thing holding it in place. At the moment it’s shifting fine, so not really an a big deal. Don’t know if this will lead to problems down the road.
If you have a local bike co-op with bins of spare derailleurs---and some local bike shops keep such around, too---check around for a replacement barrel adjuster. It might not even need to be the same derailleur model---manufacturers often use the same small parts across component levels, and for several years of production.
Old 09-09-23, 06:40 PM
bampilot06

Won't lead to problems, but may cause inconvenience if/when the RD wants the trim fine tuned.

OK to put off replacing it, but start looking for a replacement. Maybe let your mechanic know to save you one from a crashed bike.

When comes to replace, you can possibly turn it out by the section showing below the arm (do not Mar the threads by squeezing hard with pliers), or tapping a small jewelers screwdriver into it to get a bite on the ID and backing out.

Having the replacement in hand in advance means no lost time later.
I have access to a brand new R7000 RD. A guy on my race team has one. Only issue is getting it. He doesn’t live close by.
Old 09-09-23, 06:57 PM
FBinNY 

I'm a cheapskate and wouldn't replace a good RD over a broken adjuster, but that's just me.

If you do replace the RD save yours in case a friend ever needs a cage or other small part.

Since you have time, getting the RD is only a matter of a few $$$ postage.

BTW I didn't follow the entire thread. Sounds like you must have gone down, so how did you come out of it?

Old 09-09-23, 07:12 PM
bampilot06

I'm a cheapskate and wouldn't replace a good RD over a broken adjuster, but that's just me.

If you do replace the RD save yours in case a friend ever needs a cage or other small part.

Since you have time, getting the RD is only a matter of a few $$$ postage.

BTW I didn't follow the entire thread. Sounds like you must have gone down, so how did you come out of it?

Hit my head pretty good. Cracked my helmet. Pretty decent gouge in my arm. Other than that I was fine. Didn’t have concussion symptoms. Felt like I was hit by a truck the second and third day. Back to normal now.
Old 09-09-23, 09:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4437 Post(s)
Liked 4,089 Times in 2,727 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul_P
What about insurance, either their's or yours ?
I don't get involved with insurance but it would probably be on the other person since you are claiming they caused the damage. I am simply talking about getting a potential new frame under crash replacement. Do not take any of what I say for legal or insurance advice.
Old 09-10-23, 07:14 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
This is one reason I prefer to ride alone.
Old 09-10-23, 08:43 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
This is one reason I prefer to ride alone.
Fortunately clowns like this are rare and riding in groups with people you know is very safe and usually more fun than soloing. You get to know their typical reactions to things and body language etc so can predict what they're going to do.
People just randomly joining a group are rare. Doing it without asking is unheard of around here. Someone doing it and then plowing into the other riders is like something from Jackass.
Likes For choddo:
Old 09-10-23, 08:48 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by choddo
Fortunately clowns like this are rare and riding in groups with people you know is very safe and usually more fun than soloing. You get to know their typical reactions to things and body language etc so can predict what they're going to do.
People just randomly joining a group are rare. Doing it without asking is unheard of around here. Someone doing it and then plowing into the other riders is like something from Jackass.

From what I am hearing he races Cat 1 which is even more depressing. I would hope someone at that level would have better handling skills as well as better judgement.
Old 09-10-23, 08:50 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 339 Posts
From what I am hearing he races Cat 1 which is even more depressing. I would hope someone at that level would have better handling skills as well as better judgement.
Don't even know what to say to that. Never seen a paceline and just assumed it was a road race style free-for-all?? Absolutely bizarre.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.