Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Any Zipp 2001 or 3001 bike owners here?

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Old 01-27-05, 10:13 PM
Bluebatmobile

Bikes: Look 795, Kestrel 500EMS, Zipp 3001,Cannondale Raven, Outland VPP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking into getting one of these unique bikes or framesets! If you have one, post your pics and let me know how you like it!

Bat
Old 02-03-05, 06:14 AM
Bluebatmobile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up getting one. I'm gonna rebuild it. Pics up soon .

Bat™
Old 02-17-05, 07:20 PM
TriJim

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blue --
I've been riding a Zipp 2001 since 1997 -- including 4 IM races -- with very little trouble from the bike. The most common criticism is that Zipps lack lateral stiffness, but they are more comfortable for longer races than an aluminum or similar frame. Good luck with your build. Be careful/patient threading cables inside the frame. Also see if Zipp will sell you new elastomers (fresh elastomers really improve the ride). Zipps always look unique in the transition area. Enjoy.

Jim B.
Old 02-18-05, 06:44 AM
Bluebatmobile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I actually had one back in the day, 650c wheels, but had to give it up. My new one has a carbon fiber finish and 700c wheels. I will post some pics up in a bit .

Bat
Old 06-23-05, 07:02 PM
Stevezipp

Bikes: Zipp 2001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got a real nice 2001 on Ebay I am thrilled with it. It came with all kinds of high end items I didn't even know what they were untill after I got the bike. I had a softride and this bike makes me about 3.5 miles per hour faster but also an easier ride. It's hard to explain but It seems like I go faster and work less. I just love it. I would really like to know how this bike being older compares to newer frames. I talked to the guy who bought the remaining inventory of frames from Zipp he said the 3001 has some strip of material in the 3001 that may make it a little stiffer but the frame is practically identical, not really worth the extra cost. Here is a pic hope others post and former owners post with newer bike comparisons. I figure since zipp makes the best wheels this would still be a great bike to have. This bike came for a Time Trial guy that raced in the Veleodome and it is sprint ready which is what I do. I had no idea the hed bars were so expensive or the seat was also nice. Every component, easton forks, is like really high end I guess. To be honest I wanted this bike because it is without a F'ing doubt the best looking bike ever made. I thought It would make me want to ride more and train harder and I was right. It is a great motivator. Sometimes I just go in my workout room and stare at it. look forward to other zipp enthusiasts. - Steve
Old 07-26-05, 03:47 PM
bikerbos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love this bike. It's fast and great to ride
Old 08-26-05, 05:30 PM
goldfish
the great shark hunt

Bikes: 2005 Cervélo Soloist w/ Campag Chorus (06/07 parts mix), 2001 Cervélo Prodigy w/ Campag Centaur '06, Giant Bowery Fixed-Gear, old steel black '70s bike waiting for FG build, trusty red SS mountain bike waiting for snow-bike build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW, i had never seen one of these before just now! They are GORGEOUS! One question....maybe a stupid one....how come these bikes don't have Zipp wheels on them to match...it would seem obvious to me.

bah, what do i know, i'll probably never do a tri in my life...i just wanted to see the sweet rides you guys have
Old 10-08-05, 10:51 AM
Berns

Bikes: 2008 Quintana Roo LuceroLite; 1993 Zipp 2001, 1998 Quintana Roo Private Reserve Kilo; Kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my ZIPP2001 back in 1993. I've loved it ever since. I'm sure that I'm not that fast but it feels fast and is quick to respond. On long rides it's very comfortable but firm enough to not lose too much power. It does seem like the bottom bracket moves a little under hard sprinting, but the seat will also bounce a little and even sway from side to side. As a kid I had a pretty bad knee injury and becuase of the flexibility of the beam it doesn't put too much stress on it.

Now... since I've had the frame for such a long time, I can't remember some of the original specs on it. Specifically, does anyone know what the head tube diameter is? I don't want to have to take it apart if I don't have to. I'm assuming that it's a 1" tube. I can only hope that it's a 1-1/8". I'm thinking of changing out the fork with a carbon aero fork and the stem. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks for your time...

Bernie

Oh yeah... here's a pic of the bike

Last edited by Berns; 10-09-05 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-08-05, 03:03 PM
chrisesposito

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist / Cervelo P3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevezipp
Just got a real nice 2001 on Ebay I am thrilled with it. It came with all kinds of high end items I didn't even know what they were untill after I got the bike. I had a softride and this bike makes me about 3.5 miles per hour faster but also an easier ride. It's hard to explain but It seems like I go faster and work less. I just love it. I would really like to know how this bike being older compares to newer frames. I talked to the guy who bought the remaining inventory of frames from Zipp he said the 3001 has some strip of material in the 3001 that may make it a little stiffer but the frame is practically identical, not really worth the extra cost. Here is a pic hope others post and former owners post with newer bike comparisons. I figure since zipp makes the best wheels this would still be a great bike to have. This bike came for a Time Trial guy that raced in the Veleodome and it is sprint ready which is what I do. I had no idea the hed bars were so expensive or the seat was also nice. Every component, easton forks, is like really high end I guess. To be honest I wanted this bike because it is without a F'ing doubt the best looking bike ever made. I thought It would make me want to ride more and train harder and I was right. It is a great motivator. Sometimes I just go in my workout room and stare at it. look forward to other zipp enthusiasts. - Steve
Old 10-26-06, 06:06 PM
zarautz70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there,
I have finally changed the upper headset cup today on my Zipp 2001 because I could not adjust properly the new aero fork (wich is 1" by the way).
I was actually easier than expected.
As stated on Zipp instructions, I heated up the cup to soften the epoxy (using a simple lighter) and took the upper headset cup off (hitting with a hammer). Then I have slipped a new 1" stronglight headset cup and glued it with epoxy.
Seems good to me.
Regards,
Todor
Old 10-27-06, 04:24 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
These bikes are so awesome, it begs the question of why they stopped making them. IS there any source for these still other than ebay? Is there any other bikes out that look similar or are jut as cool other than the currently produced BP stealth?
Old 10-07-07, 07:38 AM
zippwizard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
can any one give me some info on a ZIPP frame with IRONMAN carbon works decals where the ZIPP decal normally is
Old 10-07-07, 11:39 AM
AaronDavidson
Triathlete

Bikes: 2007 Jamis Trilogy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would love to get one of these.
Old 10-29-07, 05:39 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 443 Posts

I presently own 2 Zipp2001's. My other Zipp has been in storage since 94, and I just took it out to build it up. I love the bikes and have worked my flamed Zipp for over 40,000 miles. Great bikes.
Old 12-23-07, 10:09 PM
Max sped bi

Bikes: Zipp 2001, Zipp 3001, Softride Power V in black with yellow lettering, and one in white with purple lettering, Itchy Mitchy Fabrication down hill bike, Specialized time trial bike,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a 2001 large frame small beam. I also own a 3001 large frame large beam. Both are awesome bikes. I just became a member today. I will try to post a photo of each bike later this week. I purchased both of them on Ebay. Out of the 8 triathalon bikes I own these are my favorite. Softride is second only to Zipp. Everywhere I go people are always amazed on how unique the bike looks and when I zoom past them as if they are standing still they are left in shock. If you have a bad back this is the bike for you. My 2001 Zipp is black with blue decals. It has 650cc Zipp wheels. MY 3001 Zipp is red and black and has 700cc Spinergy wheels on it.

Last edited by Max sped bi; 12-23-07 at 10:43 PM. Reason: undone
Old 12-23-07, 10:31 PM
Treefox
Young and unconcerned

Bikes: Yeah, I got a few.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friend has a 3001 - got it for £350 from a guy who didn't know what he had. Specialized trispokes, titanium campy record - quite the ride. But it is too big for him so he's selling it off.
Old 12-23-07, 10:45 PM
Max sped bi

Bikes: Zipp 2001, Zipp 3001, Softride Power V in black with yellow lettering, and one in white with purple lettering, Itchy Mitchy Fabrication down hill bike, Specialized time trial bike,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He stole that bike for 350 pounds. It is easily worth about 1500 pounds maybe more depending on what is on it.
Old 12-24-07, 07:28 PM
Treefox
Young and unconcerned

Bikes: Yeah, I got a few.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Max sped bi
He stole that bike for 350 pounds. It is easily worth about 1500 pounds maybe more depending on what is on it.
It's probably worth £3000 to the right buyer. But he's keeping some parts and selling the rest - I had to implore him not to take the special brakes off it.

He bought it from a village bike shop who was trying to sell it on Ebay with only a mobile phone camera picture and no description. Another friend bought a 2001 from the same shop at the same time.
Old 12-26-07, 11:14 PM
Max sped bi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://pictures.aol.com/ap/myAlbums....198732202515.1

Here are the photos of my Zipp 2001, 3001 and my specialized time trail bike.
Old 08-27-12, 01:35 PM
infobin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi

im looking for a zip 2001 or 3001.
please send me an email if you have one in good condition to sell.

thanks!
Old 05-20-17, 07:36 PM
mwworlando

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zipp 2001

Hello Everyone,
Just wanted you to know we are selling our Zipp 2001 on eBay right now. It is a fantastic bike! Super fast and very comfortable. It was used a triathlon race bike for 3 years and has been in storage since 2006. It was tuned up before being put in storage. I love the bike but obviously I just don't have time to ride anymore. They are super rare and do not come up for sale often. Best of luck if you bid on it! I hope it goes to a good home. The auction expires Saturday, May 27.
Mark
Old 08-19-19, 06:03 PM
powerclocks

Bikes: Zipp 2001 Softride Beam Model, iZip e-Bike, Wayne Rogers Tripple Triangle, Malvern 5 Star, Malvern 3 Star, Hoffy, Orbea Orca Di2, Berretto,

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, nice to find like minded individuals here, I have rebuilt (restored) 5 x Alsop Softrides and sold them on and never really loved them, they were fun but didn't have the Credz of the Zipp. I recently bought (stole) a Zipp 2001 bike off eBay, everyone thought it was an Alsop Softride, the really bad pictures hid the Zipp logo around the bottom bracket and side only views hid the Delta Brakes. pinched it for $406aud. Now to do the restoration.

It has issues, the wheels were a mis-match of conventional, the delta brakes were there but missing the correct q/r hand sets and the paint is woeful. So, I am looking for Gen 4 Delta Brake Handles (second last generation) there is so much mis-information out there about the Delta Brakes and it depends on who you listen to as to which generation the brakes are on this bike, some include the Prototypes as a Generation bumping numbers up so I confirm second last gen. I want a Zipp 440 Front wheel 700c and pics or information on the groupset that would have languished on this ignored for years beauty. I want to do it period, 1991-2. 7 or 8 speed derailleur.

The gears on it now are Shimano 600 rear changer, 105 Front changer, lever is on frame for chainwheel and a really odd set up with the lever mounted on Proline Tri Bars at the very front in the middle, the cable runs to a frame mount, never see this before, It is like someone picked out the stuff everyone else was using with no real knowledge of his own and tried to make it all work together. why did he not use the Delta Brake Handles with q/r?

No real need to pontificate on what has been done, I want to build some eye candy for the fun of it.

I see replica delta front plates are available and I would never interfere with the original ones I may buy a pair to have engraved, who does the pretty girl engravings? I only want to do the front brake, the rear is under the frame.
so no one sees it any way.

any information please post here for others to see and cc to powerclocks@hotmail.com, I restore old clocks for fun also.
Graeme
Old 12-03-19, 03:28 PM
powerclocks

Bikes: Zipp 2001 Softride Beam Model, iZip e-Bike, Wayne Rogers Tripple Triangle, Malvern 5 Star, Malvern 3 Star, Hoffy, Orbea Orca Di2, Berretto,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your response, I haven't been on this site for a while. I am too old for Competition now, (I do know there are athletes older than me) but I like to maintain my body not test its functional limits) The Zipp is transitioning into something now, I had to have the cable routing fixed, there were disconnections inside the frame so it had to be opened at two small points to get the original cable routing back through. I collect it from the carbon fix shop today and then the paint scraping starts. The rear three spoke (3000) is stripped and ready and the Zipp 440 for the front is getting its Ballistic Hub in two weeks, I am looking for a Mavic Starfish Crank set 170mm for it and will be using Campy Delta Brakes. I have not fully thought out the drive train, I think Shimano was the weapon of choice of the day so will probably use the original Shimano stuff till I find what I like for it, it will take time, perhaps :"C" Record Gen 1, 7 speed with indexed bar end shifters, hard to find and expensive but once I like something I guess its like hot rod builders.
Old 12-03-19, 04:04 PM
powerclocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am on the same journey. I have had my frame in the carbon shop to get the internal cabling fixed, I get it back tomorrow, I am then on to the paint stripping, if you find yourself doing the same don't use paint stripper, it will destroy the integrity of the frame rendering it a decoration. you will have to slowly, carefully and painfully strip it with a knife. I did my Zipp 3000 Rear wheel this way and have the blisters to prove it. It is not all that hard if you secure the object you are doing properly. You can follow my journey and post a bit of yours here, I think there are a lot of people who want to restore these bikes but are afraid to go hard on them due to their value now.
All the best.
Graeme Power (Brisbane Australia)