Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How do you tell drivers your speed?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How do you tell drivers your speed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 09:53 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Torrilin
When I drive a car (rare these days) I judge speed by how much the object changes in size over 2-3 brief glances. This actually gives me a speed *difference* between my vehicle and my sample object. Even now, after 5 years of being car-free, I am pretty accurate. A lot of that accuracy is due to hours of drill. I can still keep a car at 15 or 35 or 50 mph, without the help of a speedometer. It was something my parents insisted on as a basic driving skill that I had to have, before I was allowed to use cruise control. It takes a LOT of attention to do. (for me, it takes even more attention to drive with cruise control tho... so when I drive I do not use it)

Most drivers cannot do this kind of speed judging. This makes them very dangerous, because they have to spend much more time looking at the dash than at the road around them. Their speed is often erratic.

You don't really have a way to force other drivers to have skill and wisdom. It sucks. I don't drive partly because the lower the speed, the lower the stakes. I can't make everyone else be smart, but I can keep *my* speed down to something that is well within my abilities.
Good skills to have... sadly most drivers depend on a single glace to determine what they see and judge... hence the often heard "I didn't see you." This single glance, coupled with tunnel vision of driving too fast for the conditions is probably one of the leading causes of collisions.

I agree with your parents... I myself practice "look twice." I always take the time to look twice (or more)... for that same "moving target" difference you are talking about. If I can't look twice, I don't make the move.
Old 03-22-10, 09:57 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by fat_bike_nut
Hey, I was born in 1984, and I use arm signals all the time whenever I ride. At least the motorists around here understand what an arm sticking straight out means.
maybe... and the arm pointing up for a right turn may be taken for a "hello."

I use arm signals too... but that doesn't mean the public does understand them. I do find the open palm down to be pretty effective, but otherwise I just tend to point to where I intend to go.
Old 03-23-10, 07:43 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
sometimes I use my body posture to indicate what I might be doing. things like standing straight legged holding the bars on top; off the saddle with bent knees deep in the drops; crouching and deep in the drops. different postures can be used to control your bike and may also help the drivers understand what's going on with your vehicle. not sure if this is clear, sorry
Old 03-23-10, 08:03 AM
RaleighComp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BMWdoc
I think lights are the most important ways to alert drivers. There is no real way to tell them your speed but I know for a fact that with lights on even in the daytime, drivers will wait before turning in front of you. Before I used bright lights they were more willing to turn at alot closer distances. Now from about 100 meters away they will refrain from turning or pulling out in front of me.
+1000

I have a 10W low beam that's always on while commuting, with a 35W high beam at the ready for 45W total. *Countless* times I'll see a car stopped at a side street that looks like they may pull out in front of me and I am able to freeze them with the high beam. I'll often see their wheels slowly inch forward and suddenly stop the instant I throw on the high beam. And they're not being blinded, either. It's more like 45W suddenly makes them recognize me as a vehicle at speed instead of a lolly-gagger riding a toy.
Old 03-23-10, 11:01 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
lots of body language and as much eye contact as possible.
Old 03-24-10, 05:51 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I asked a couple of drivers...they had no clue
Originally Posted by Standalone
lots of body language and as much eye contact as possible.