Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Numb/Painful Arthritic Wrist Problem

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 10-14-19, 10:51 PM
Sportdog

Bikes: Trek FX2, Nishiki Tri-A, Univega Sportech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I don’t expect a cure due to age/health issue but do any members have suggestions to at least lessen these effects?
Right now I wear weightlifting gloves with the Velcro straps and if I tighten enough to help with pain I end up numb.

Thoughts???

Thanks
Old 10-17-19, 09:10 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
Any particular thing(s) that make it painful? Weight on hands? Shifting? Braking? Photo of you on your bike from the side?
Old 10-17-19, 06:48 PM
Sportdog

Bikes: Trek FX2, Nishiki Tri-A, Univega Sportech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

My Nishiki Tri-A

My Univega Sportech

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Any particular thing(s) that make it painful? Weight on hands? Shifting? Braking? Photo of you on your bike from the side?
Weight on hands.

sorry for the double pics

Last edited by Sportdog; 10-17-19 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 10-18-19, 09:38 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
I don't have the extent of the issue you have described, but I see your bikes have drop bars. That is the #1 thing that helps my riding. I have to change my hand positions constantly to keep them from going numb and getting circulation issues. A lot of times I don't even grip the bars - I just rest my palms either on the top flats or over top the brake lever extensions with wide open fingers. That is my "work around". I would also hesitate to call my hands giving me troubles as a unique problem. I would venture a guess that most riders are the same to some extent. I don't think anyone can hold their hands in the same grip position for hours a day.

As an aside, and for what it may be worth (perhaps not much), I tried gloves also. I used to ride BMX/freestyle when I was younger and used gloves to hold off blisters. The gloves did nothing for my hands in current times. I did double-wrap the tape on my drop bars for more padding and a larger diameter, though. That has helped and I could probably even go a third layer for more padding and less contact pressure.

Last edited by KC8QVO; 10-18-19 at 09:41 AM.
Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 10-19-19, 09:34 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I deal with a similar issue. As stated above, the only thing that seems to work is to constantly change hand positions. Weight on the wrists seems to be the predictor of how bad it will be. Also, I have found I can get relief from being in the drops if I place my hands just so. Hope this doesn't get worse!
Old 10-22-19, 09:47 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
Originally Posted by Sportdog
<snipped photos>
Weight on hands.

sorry for the double pics
I know, I know, C & V. OTOH, pain. First thing I would try is to set up your bars like this:

Note that the ramps and hoods form a level resting place for the wrists.

Then look at the Numb Hands post.

Next, move your saddle back as far as possible using a 30mm setback post. You may not need that much setback, but see what it does in terms of decreasing the weight on your hands.

Finally, try these stretching exercises:
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Exercises
When I have trouble with my hands, I do the recommended 10 sets of these exercises several times a day.

Of course possibly the most useful thing might be to buy a modern Di2 bike with hydraulic brakes. It's amazing how much hand effort these setups save. Go by your LBS and get a test ride.
Old 10-24-19, 09:28 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 375 Posts
I'd check into a carpal tunnel syndrome diagnosis. If it's CTS, the surgery is simple, and it works. BTDT.