Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

How big is this Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-19, 12:15 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
How big is this Bike?

Hello there, I have a relative who is 5'8" and am considering picking up the following bike (see pictured) for her. I'm guessing this bike is a 21" (the seller isn't much help in determining size). Would a bike this size fit a woman that height? - Ballpark.

She would like a more upright riding position so I'd change the stem and bars out to something more appropriate along those lines. TIA!
Old 10-26-19, 01:05 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Can you take her along? It might be a bit big, and stand over more like a road bike. My Project 3 is a 19, but has a slightly higher BB, and fits pretty well as a MTN bike but as a street hybrid it could be a tad bigger. Her only being 5'8" makes me think this 21 might b e a bit big. Great looking bike.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-26-19, 02:41 PM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
That should be about right, if it's a 21" frame. It does look like a 20"- 21" frame.
Old 10-26-19, 03:05 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Woopsie! She's 5'10.

I wanted to buy this bike for a "surprise". I'm trying to encourage her to ride a bike after 25 years of not doing so and thought this would be a great all-rounder. So, there would be a little bit of a guilt factor in motivating her to ride it if it gets purchased (i.e. "aww shucks... I bought this bike for you, put new tires on it, fully overhauled it etc and now you won't use it. Geez". I'd pay the guy only what I knew I could get rid of it for without hassle.

I know she could use some exercise and the bike would surely be useful from time to time to get around too. Once she starts riding again she'll really like it I know.
Old 10-26-19, 03:31 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
If she's five ten that bike should be about right the bike has somewhat compact frame with the extended bars so it is actually a bit larger ride wise than it looks. This style of MTB tended to ride one size or so larger than most MTB's with the same frame size.
Old 11-10-19, 11:20 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Didn't end up buying the bike because the owner is impossible to get ahold of. Thanks for the input on this thing though.