Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Is a Cutthroat 2020 longer reach than a Topstone 2019?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-19, 08:20 PM
blargman

Bikes: Carbon Topstone 105(factory) Size XL, 2012 Specialized Secteur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I currently have a XL Topstone with a stack/reach of 640/402,mm
It rides well but feels a bit painful to ride long distances, partly due to my fitness perhaps but I'm just not sure it's the right length. My hands rest comfortable on the very short side of the hoods, not down by the actual hoods themselves.

My question is, I'm looking at getting a 2020 cutthroat and I have a 60cm in order. It appears the S/R for that is 664/406mm.

The 58cm looks a bit closer in relation to the topstone, Should I go with that instead? I really want something comfortable for long rides.
Old 11-29-19, 09:47 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
With the little info provided and no pic of you on the current bike, no one can answer your question(s).

"...painful to ride long distances..." -- Can you be more specific? What/Where pain? What is a long distance?

edit: Buying thru a bike shop? What did they recommend?

Last edited by Wildwood; 11-29-19 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-29-19, 10:59 AM
blargman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wildwood
With the little info provided and no pic of you on the current bike, no one can answer your question(s).

"...painful to ride long distances..." -- Can you be more specific? What/Where pain? What is a long distance?

edit: Buying thru a bike shop? What did they recommend?
sorry for not including more info. I will try to answer the best I can and provide more info later. The intention when I created the post was to try and get an objective statement of fact on the two bike sizes as I don’t really understand stack and reach completely.

that being said the topstone was fired originally by my lbs, the cutthroat I’m buying they another more local bike store. I just honestly don’t trust their sizing recommendations due to past issues.

As for the pain, it’s mostly upper back and neck pain after 30-40 miles or so. As well as some hand pain in my left hand.
Old 11-29-19, 12:04 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

If pain doesn't set in until 30-40 miles (say, approx 2 hours) then I would guess it is not a big issue with fit. Assuming same stem & bars (not a good assumption) they should be approx 1" (24mm) higher on new bike and only 4mm further out. Given the range of stems/bars and posts it would be easy to hit the same position as on current ride, or create a slightly different position.. There are short/shallow handlebars that make the transition from tops to hoods to drops a shorter distance.

Not being comfortable on the hoods, just the tops, is a problem as the braking position is compromised.
Hand pain can come from many things: too much weight on hands, bad gloves, same hand position for extended periods, a nerve issue, etc.
30-40 miles of gravel (even on this fat tire bike with drops) would likely give most riders some aches. Especially if you are cranking pretty hard.

I often set-up my bikes for comfort in the drops which makes riding the tops or hoods an easy reach.

Good luck!

Last edited by Wildwood; 11-29-19 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-01-19, 02:09 PM
duckhuntr

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You must be about six and a half feet tall, correct?
Old 12-01-19, 08:26 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by duckhuntr
You must be about six and a half feet tall, correct?
Welcome to BF.

The effective top tube length on this model corresponds with their stated size. I'm 6'1" and ride road bikes with 58cm tt and 12.5 stem. For a gravel rider, a shorter stem at about 10cm is recommended, so for me the 60cm size would be good, especially with the taller head tube to reduce the saddle to bar height. Lots of riders believe a longer wheelbase makes a gravel bike more stable.

Not sure about the height or arm length of the OP,

edit: checking the Salsa site, the longest stem offered (in the online specs) is 9cm.

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-01-19 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-02-19, 05:56 PM
blargman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just realized I didn’t post my height. Yeesh. I’m 6’4”. I rode the 58 today and it felt pretty spot on. I’m not sure the 60 might be too big. Unfortunately riding different sizes of this bike is hard to do. As no one has any.
Old 12-03-19, 10:32 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Just my humble opinion, but if you get a 58 (given your height) then you will not be able to bend your elbows without rounding your back (usually painful after a while). Depends upon how upright a position you desire, or stated differently = how willing to give up the tradition road riding position? With shorter head tube on 58 the saddle to bar drop is greater than on a 60, without a change of stem.

Disclaimer: If your arms are short or you have physical limitations then upright may be for you.
Remember, on gravel a centered/lower center of gravity is more stable.

Only you know what fits best.