Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Does anybody know a good way to store a bike?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 08-11-19, 11:23 AM
retroschwinnguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

my bikes are very heavy and can not be tipped over, there are not many places i can store it but i could use some ideas
Old 08-14-19, 12:11 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
Home? Work? Garage? Inside house? A little information on what you are looking for would help.
Old 08-16-19, 08:04 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
Inside your Home or Apartment, or inside your Garage!!

I do know some people who just chain and padlock their bicycle on their back porch or on their back deck.
They will bring it INSIDE when the weather forecast calls for extented Rain.

Things will work better, and remain in the best condition IF YOU STORE YOUR BICYCLE INDOORS WITHIN A CLIMATE-CONTROLLED ENVIROMENT. An unheated garage or fully enclosed locked shed is not as good perhaps as a home's basement (assuming no basement flooding issues..).

What the heck is the problem with getting a HEAVY bicycle Inside Your Home or Apartment.......... The bicycle has wheels and STAIRS are STAIRS....the individual stair risers aren't too high and generally stairs aren't too steep (they surely can be though..). Just as the Coca-cola and Budweiser and Miller Beer ROUTE SERVICERS have to Use Ordinary HAND TRUCKS to get up the stairs at bodegas, Convenience Stores, Restaurants, Bars, etc.............YOU CAN CERTAINLY ROLL A 55 pound BEACH CRUISER UP ANY STAIRS, ONE STEP AT A TIME, Rolling It.....NOT FULLY CARRYING ALL 55 POUNDS FREE OF THE STAIRCASE!! Many 83 year old Grandmas can do it, as they know how to roll it, one step at a time.

Now if you live in a tiny efficiency studio apartment that is just about twice the size of a Port-O-Let, well then you might need to LIMIT your bicycle collection to just one bicycle. You've got to be realistic as you can't be one of those horder types if your're residing in a 1 bedroom efficiency. Like everything else, you probably want to have realistic priorities, otherwise your spouse, guests, and family may begin to have issues with you. Get it together and be able to afford the necessary 'space' needed to both live comfortably and properly contain and store your collection, AND skip acquiring any more until you can move in to a much larger, better equipped, living arrangement. Maybe that means saving money and focusing on getting a higher paying job with better wage/raise prospects in the near and long-term future, instead of collecting more that you cannot store! If you choose to ignore all of what I just suggested and where you currently reside has a backyard of some kind and the neighbors wouldn't mind one of those Harbour Freight type of One-Car Sized portable garage made with aluminum frame tubing and Tent Material that is tarp like that fully covers with a roof and four sides.................often Harbour Freight has such a deluxe One-car garage on sale for less than $389. You likely could store plenty of bikes and other junk inside of that Harbour Freight thing. Just remember that the fun part of Bicycling is having the time to get out and ride your bike(s). If you're constantly managing junk like Fred Sanford, where that takes most all of the time that you could devote to actual riding, well then it is my opinion that you're doing it the wrong way. Fred Sanford or Fred Bikerider, it really is difficult to do both.
Old 08-16-19, 11:18 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
What’s the problem with an unheated garage? Bikes are not bottles of wine, after all.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 08-21-19, 11:07 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I hang my bikes upside down from the rims, using nails or hooks. If they're nice bikes and kept clean, they make good wall art in an apartment or house.
Old 08-22-19, 11:30 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I hang my bikes upside down from the rims, using nails or hooks. If they're nice bikes and kept clean, they make good wall art in an apartment or house.
UPSIDE DOWN? How undignified!
Old 09-05-19, 10:56 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts

I keep this "old thing" in my cubicle...
Old 09-05-19, 12:34 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I learned where not to store it.
I left my old mountain bike in one of those old metal sheds. The leaves plugged the drain trough and rain water backed up on the roof and leaked all over my bike. Pretty much rusted everything that wasn't painted.
Laid her to rest with "Free" sign against my front tree. Took days before it was gone.
Old 10-23-19, 05:51 PM
LeftyS7

Bikes: Giant Explore E-2

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
I used to but at 76 haven't the strength to lift them up and down. Now stored in the dog run under bike covers.
Old 10-23-19, 06:20 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I have a couple feedback sports RAAKs, Velo column and some other rack that is similar to velo column but has a base.... to my wife dismay there are up to 5 bikes in the house at most times.. tough cookies. Usually the garage will have the kids bikes and mountain bikes and wheel sets of which I have lots.
Old 10-27-19, 12:35 AM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog

I keep this "old thing" in my cubicle...
Wow. That is great. Gotta show this to my co-worker. We recently discussed where to keep our bikes if we brought them in, and we joked around about in our cubicles. Now we have something to go off of.
Old 10-27-19, 11:06 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
Wow. That is great. Gotta show this to my co-worker. We recently discussed where to keep our bikes if we brought them in, and we joked around about in our cubicles. Now we have something to go off of.
No worries, I never asked, I just did it... I just drilled a couple holes for the Topeak (I believe) wall mount. I checked before drilling to make sure it wouldn't rub the tire on the ceiling. And I have a cabinet above the desk area, so I have to keep the seat down to open that cabinet.
Likes For zjrog: