Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Fit and Saddle Sore?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Fit and Saddle Sore?

Old 08-24-19, 05:41 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Fit and Saddle Sore?

How common would a poor fit be in causing a saddle sore? Would the saddle being to far forward be a culprit?
Old 08-24-19, 12:39 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 1,255 Times in 725 Posts
Saddle height and tilt is often a cause of saddle sores. If you are not stable on the seat, you will have friction. If the seat is too high, you will generally compensate by dropping one side, which can be the cause of recurring saddle sores on one side. Too far forward? Possible. Get your fit rights and beware a too high saddle. I had saddles sores on tours, until I dropped my saddle height. Now I am much more comfortable, and had no saddle sores on my last tour in June. Once you get it right, ignore anyone who tells you your seat is too low. https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ard-can-it-be/
Likes For phughes:
Old 08-24-19, 06:22 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Anything in the fit that doesn't properly set you on the saddle will cause problems. One sign of a good all-around fit besides comfort is that you will naturally and comfortably be balanced on the bike and therefore tend to be "anchored" to the one and same spot on the saddle.

As far as saddle height being off, modestly too high or even a little too high is worse than being correspondingly too low.
Likes For BengalCat:
Old 08-25-19, 09:22 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by BengalCat

As far as saddle height being off, modestly too high or even a little too high is worse than being correspondingly too low.
I really have to respectfully disagree with that. A too high saddle can cause all sorts of very serious problems, saddle sore being the least of them.

That being said, I take it you have a Bengal. I have one as well. Very interesting animals to say the least.
Old 08-28-19, 11:09 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I really have to respectfully disagree with that. A too high saddle can cause all sorts of very serious problems, saddle sore being the least of them.

That being said, I take it you have a Bengal. I have one as well. Very interesting animals to say the least.
How are you disagreeing? It seems like both of you (and almost literally everyone who knows anything about bike fits) agrees that too low is better than too high.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 08-29-19, 09:22 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by smashndash
How are you disagreeing? It seems like both of you (and almost literally everyone who knows anything about bike fits) agrees that too low is better than too high.
Sorry, I misread what you wrote. I needed more coffee. I thought you wrote that modestly too high was preferable.
Likes For phughes:
Old 08-30-19, 12:43 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Besides too high, another thing I see is rocking on the saddle during pedaling even with the saddle at correct height. Some people just lean from side to side as they push down on the pedals. Solution there is to stop doing that. Pedal with a more even pedal pressure 3/4 the way around the circle. No upper body movement.
Old 09-03-19, 06:08 AM
diff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I don't think too far forward would cause a saddle sore alone unless you are constantly pushing yourself back.

Try another saddle. If you have a grippy one, try one more slippery. Or if you have a slippery saddle, try one with more grip. Sizing and shape of the saddle could also be an issue.

Location of the sore would give you the most information. Probably TMI for this thread, but a fitter could help and loan you some saddles also. In any case, I would swap out saddles and see if anything changes.
Old 09-03-19, 03:38 PM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Saddle too far forward would more likely cause sore quads.
I will go with saddle is too high and you are rocking from side to side, reaching with one leg or both.