Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Upgrading Saddle but Making Sure It Fits

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-19, 02:35 PM
Psychocycles

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Hi, I recently upgraded my stock Oval saddle (which I've done 100+ mile rides on with zero discomfort or pain in the rear) to a lightweight Selle San Marco Mantra which is intolerable even on shorter 30 mile loops. I did my research prior to purchasing and measured my sitbone width, 110mm +- 5mm, so I got the narrow (130mm) saddle. It feels like it's way too narrow, so I was wondering if there's such a thing as too wide a saddle? The extra 5-6 g doesn't bother me, if the wider fit will be more comfortable even though I "should" be able to ride 130mm saddles, I'll go wider. The Oval is about 144 mm width so I guess that might answer my question right there....

I've attached a few photos of the saddles for visual reference - if possible, I'd like to get a lightweight version of the Oval style, as I have zero comfort issues with it (I first thought the Oval was flat but after careful review it looks like it has a tiny drop from rear to front - could that make a difference too?) I'd have thought the Selle San Marco, with its complete cut out, would have more pressure alleviation than the Oval but in fact it's the opposite. Is there any way I can review saddles online to determine if I think they'll fit before I buy again? The LBSs around me don't have any return policies but if I'm going to pay full MSRP I want to make sure there's a return policy in case none of their saddles fit me. I don't mind experimenting around online because the prices are typically 1/2 or so what the LBS would charge and I can sell the saddle on at cost if it doesn't fit (or return it).

Old 09-27-19, 05:32 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I don't understand how this is an upgrade. You went from what seems to be a perfect saddle for you to one that hurts. Maybe you can sell it and go back to your Oval. Saddle weight really doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is to be able to sit on it.

If I were in your situation and looking for a new saddle, I'd ask friends and fellow riders if I could try theirs for a minute. But it seems like you've already found your saddle.
Old 09-27-19, 08:30 PM
Psychocycles

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Yeah, see the thing was that when I started writing this post, I thought that the Oval was 130mm in width because I had measured it incorrectly - while I was in the process of writing the post I went back and remeasured and realized my error. So in a way this post can be deleted because I'm 99% sure the pain is because the saddle is too narrow. I've tried again, this time with a more forgiving saddle & wider. Ultimately yes, weight isn't so important but it's also partially aesthetics ... Want a red saddle 😆😉