Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 05:02 PM
ChrisM2097

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc; Trek 7.5 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by death m3tal
Wow, I haven't been on this board for almost 4 years, but a lot has happened since then. First, I got deployed to Afghanistan shortly after joining this site and so it's safe to say that I didn't do much biking in 2009, then got a new job when I returned home and actually bike commuted for about 9 months exclusively, until my wife told me that she was pregnant with our second, which caused me to go out and buy a second car for the family. So, with a second car, the daily bike commute got less and less apealing for a while with a new infant in the house and sleepless nights. Then got another new job and moved across the country from Virginia to San Francisco. We are back to one vehicle (my Jeep is in VA with some friends for the time being because of cost to try to move it). So, anyway, I've been exclusively bike commuting since I moved here for the last month or so. But the biggest change that has occured is that I am no longer eligible to post in the clydesdale forum! I'm under 200 now days, I lost the fat while in Afghanistan and have pretty much kept it off since coming home with the bike commuting. Right now, I'm about 195 or so.

So, now the important question, how do I unsubscribe from this thread? I've been getting emails from this thread for the last four years and only now have gotten back to the board and have no idea how to unsubscribe.
Congrats - but you don't have to leave us. You can still provide encouragement if you'd like. But if you don't want to receive notifications, scroll to the top of the page, just above the first post on the page, click "Thread Tools" > "Unsubscribe".

Welcome to the SF Bay Area. There are lots of great rides all over the place. One of my favorite leisurely rides in SF is from the Ferry Building to Tiburon.
Old 07-10-12, 05:07 PM
death m3tal

Bikes: Trek 4300 (2006) MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chris, thanks for the tip on unsubscribing. I won't leave, but I'm proud to have dropped the weight. I'm stoked about being in SF. We got a place in the Presidio (totally lucked out with the timing too). My daily commute is from Baker Beach to Sausalito. It's pretty cool (and cold too, brrr) to ride over the Golden Gate bridge every day... and not pay the $6 toll!
Old 07-10-12, 05:16 PM
ChrisM2097

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chris, thanks for the tip on unsubscribing. I won't leave, but I'm proud to have dropped the weight. I'm stoked about being in SF. We got a place in the Presidio (totally lucked out with the timing too). My daily commute is from Baker Beach to Sausalito. It's pretty cool (and cold too, brrr) to ride over the Golden Gate bridge every day... and not pay the $6 toll!
That's definitely a cool (literally) commute. Alexander Ave is a pretty good climb on your way home, too.
Old 07-10-12, 05:19 PM
death m3tal

Bikes: Trek 4300 (2006) MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, it is and so is Lincoln. The problem I'm having is I am using MapMyRide to chart my rides and they don't have the elevations of the GGB on it. So, when I look at the profile of my rides, it looks like I riding my bike across the water at sea level, which really annoys me. Any ideas on what iPhone app might actually have the bridge elevations built in for true profiles? I know this is way off topic, but anyway...
Old 07-10-12, 05:35 PM
ChrisM2097

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, it is and so is Lincoln. The problem I'm having is I am using MapMyRide to chart my rides and they don't have the elevations of the GGB on it. So, when I look at the profile of my rides, it looks like I riding my bike across the water at sea level, which really annoys me. Any ideas on what iPhone app might actually have the bridge elevations built in for true profiles? I know this is way off topic, but anyway...
I just mapped it on www.ridewithgps.com and the elevation is all messed up across the GG.

I don't have any Apple products, so I wouldn't know - but next time I do that ride (which will probably be soon), I'll bring my Garmin Edge 500 and share the elevation profile here.
Old 07-17-12, 11:28 AM
mcvincnt

Bikes: 1985 Gitane Victoire, 2008 Gary Fisher Wahoo, Surly Ogre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 5'8" and currently 245lbs. I ride a 2008 Gary Fisher Wahoo, but I have been looking to get back on a road bike so just rebuilt my 1985 Gitane. Looking up info for the rebuild is what lead me to Bikeforums. I started riding as a teen and then quit for about 20 years and 140lbs. I started riding again around 280lbs. Most of the weight loss has been through walking/hiking, but I needed something to break the monotony and didn't take the time commitment of a 8-10 mile hike. I really had a hard time with finding a seat and a good riding position. My body remembers being leaned over but several important bits of anatomy and my arms prefer to be more upright at this time. Seat selection for me was counter-intuitive. I assumed I needed a softer seat but after some trial and error a firmer seat actual seems to work better. I have also ended up putting a 4" Delta stem extender, a wider saddle and a seat post with no offset on the Wahoo. Not quite a full upright position like a cruiser but not nearly as far leaning forward. Feels a little awkward on technical trails, but overall more comfortable. I just finished the rebuild on the Gitane this weekend so I am not sure how that will work out yet. Anyway, I am feeling much more motivated to get out and ride now. Thanks.
Old 07-23-12, 07:42 PM
Flying Foot Doc

Bikes: Giant eStance2, raised carbon handlebars , dropper post & Raceface Ride pedals

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
mcv, good luck to you, hope you enjoy riding your Gitane..I remember those from long ago... keep at it! Andy
Old 07-23-12, 07:47 PM
black.damon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 5 - 8, was 265 lbs, but after a year of thoroughly abusing a Fuji Absolute, I'm now slightly (2 lbs) over 200, and looking to get below. Biking has been a godsend for me, and allowed to me get the exercise I never could jogging or otherwise.
Old 07-25-12, 10:50 AM
bulldogs2k

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 230lbs, i'm a good mix of muscle and fat but I hope to bring it down with my goal of training for a century ride this fall. I also compete in sport Judo so I hope that cycling can cut drop me down to a few weight classes because they are BIG where I'm at. I have three bikes but mainly ride a Nashbar Steel CX outfitted as a commuter, and, will also be my Century rig. I also have a Fuji SST 3.0 when I pretend to be Sir Chris Hoy.

Old 07-25-12, 03:40 PM
xrayspex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey fellow big guys/gals...
Getting back into cycling after about a 20 year hiatus. I'm 6"1 and weigh about 240. While I plan on dropping some pounds (aren't we all?), I'm looking into a nice new carbon fiber frame roadbike to help motivate me.
Is the frame material an issue for us big and tall, or is it just the rims/spokes/tires? Granted it seems a bit silly to shave weight off the frame when you are is big as me, but I love hot rods...
thanks in advance!

Last edited by xrayspex; 07-25-12 at 03:41 PM. Reason: oops
Old 07-25-12, 04:34 PM
Heyspike

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale Carbon Synapse,2016 Cannondale Beast of the East, 2014 Cannondale CAADX, 1990's Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all, I am about 5'10 220 lbs, I guess I qualify. I like to hover around 210-205 so the 15 pounds or so I am trying to lose. I started riding this week, Le tour always fires me up, so I went out and bought a Cannondale CAADX cylcocross bike and started riding it pretty good. I look forward to this forum, and maybe try a race once in awhile. I do a lot of weight lifting, so I dont want to lose too much weight. See ya around.
John
Old 07-25-12, 05:04 PM
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xrayspex
hey fellow big guys/gals...
Getting back into cycling after about a 20 year hiatus. I'm 6"1 and weigh about 240. While I plan on dropping some pounds (aren't we all?), I'm looking into a nice new carbon fiber frame roadbike to help motivate me.
Is the frame material an issue for us big and tall, or is it just the rims/spokes/tires? Granted it seems a bit silly to shave weight off the frame when you are is big as me, but I love hot rods...
thanks in advance!

I was bigger than you when i bought my carbon bike...no issues...most manufactureres rate them to 300

You can spend as much as you want on carbon bikes and wheels and still get ones that will hold you at your weight...your hot rod is only limited by your pocket book just like in cars
Old 07-25-12, 09:28 PM
mstrat

Bikes: Litespeed Appalachian, Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After being away from cycling and working at a bike shop for 10+ years, I slowly found myself growing horizontally far more than I care to admit (was 250+) I started with my old Specialized Stumpjumper that I used to ride when I was young and only wanted to look cool...alas, I'd hit the 230 point and decided that cycling was fun again, and started watching CL...I hit up CL and bought some parts up, and ordered some new ones...and found a naked Litespeed Appalachian frame...I've built it up the best I could with 36H XT hubs, Sun Rhyno Lite rims...love reading everyone's weight loss successes on here, so decided I'd introduce myself and post a pic of my ride!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Litespeed.jpg (52.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 07-26-12, 08:05 PM
Heyspike

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale Carbon Synapse,2016 Cannondale Beast of the East, 2014 Cannondale CAADX, 1990's Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the new ride, put about 20 miles on it so far, (my ass is killing me-hope it gets better) Between the weight lifting, riding , and a few camp chaos classes I should be able to maintain my eating habits and maybe drop a few pounds along the way. my problem is I am a "B" guy. Beer, Butter, Bacon, Bagels, and Bikes (both motorrized and pedal.
Attached Images
Old 07-29-12, 09:55 AM
jpapa4

Bikes: Scott CR 1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 53 and presently 255 lbs, down from 272 when I first started cycling this spring. I am not happy with the speed of my weight loss but I have come to realize I have to further enhance my weight loss strategies. Like not eating after 8 PM. Been going to the gym on and off for the past 12 years or so but just could not stay consistent or motivated. But now I found the bike! Love it. First bought a Raleigh RX1 Cyclocross bike but traded it back in after two weeks when I saw how much I enjoyed the road and would not be interested in the slightest riding the bike in the mud. Bought a Scott CR1 Pro and absolutely love it. Stiff, light and fast!
Old 08-01-12, 07:43 PM
ETilton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, fellas. Another Clyde here, 25, 6'2, 255 lbs. I'm just now getting back into riding to get a little fitness and because I missed hitting the trails - hopefully I'll enjoy road as much as I used to enjoy mountain. Dumped my Santa Cruz Superlight at the end of college because I had no room for it and had lost motivation after a huge wreck. Just picked up an older Fuji Team Issue after moving up to DC and not being able to walk two blocks to work any more. Hopefully I'll get back down to where I was when I came into college and rode a lot (215, 33" waist).

Obviously the Spinergy wheels were replaced (with a 32-hole mavic set up with heavy duty stainless nipples). Pink bar tape is still there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
fuji.jpeg (62.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-01-12, 10:17 PM
bulldogs2k

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm about to drop some coin on a Fuji SST 3.0. The green bike is my nashbar cx, I think they compliment each other!!!
Old 08-02-12, 02:34 PM
ManPowerdTravel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'6" and 220 pounds when I'm lazy and drinking a lot of beer. When I'm leaned out, I operate at around 205. I'm not fat, but I still have the weight, narrowing my bicycle frame and some components choices down. I ride a Surly Long Haul Trucker with 26" wheels for commuting and (soon) touring. Even though I may not be a formidable Clydesdale, my touring load, on top of my own weight, makes it crucial to having beefy wheels, tough tires, and a sturdy frame and components.
Old 08-02-12, 05:39 PM
bulldogs2k

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just did my longest ride ever, a 50 miler through NC and Southern VA. I'm not seeing the weight go down but I feel different.

Old 08-02-12, 05:59 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bulldogs2k
Just did my longest ride ever, a 50 miler through NC and Southern VA. I'm not seeing the weight go down but I feel different.
Congrats. Nice job. Keep it up and the weight will drop.
Old 08-02-12, 08:12 PM
bulldogs2k

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
Congrats. Nice job. Keep it up and the weight will drop.
Thanks I will, plus, I'm pretty sure i'm addicted to riding. I even find it much more enjoyable than riding motorcycles!
Old 08-07-12, 09:44 PM
RocketRod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm about 53 yo, 5'11+", 258 want to lose some weight and have some fun on my '06 or '07 K2 Easy Street. I'll keep this short because I have no pictures to post as yet, but look forward to this forum with enthusiasm.
Old 08-07-12, 11:04 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
here's my intown/commuter rig I got from craigs for $150 w/ all the OEM parts(working) from 1987

Schwinn Circuit by jsigone, on Flickr
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 08-08-12, 12:25 AM
jtdunc

Bikes: Cannondale Bad Boy Hybrid, Novara Ponderosa 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 5'10" and about 240 lbs. Most people still think I'm an ex-NFL football player due to my muscle mass. Ride a Specialized Hardrock twice a week on my lunch hours and on a good week get in 60 miles a week on my Cannondale Bad Boy hybrid.

Watching my carbs and portion size and aiming for under 200 lbs in several months.
Old 08-08-12, 12:29 AM
jtdunc

Bikes: Cannondale Bad Boy Hybrid, Novara Ponderosa 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdevarie
Thanks Becky, I hope the weather cooperates up here in the northeast :-)
I spent the last year getting in 20 miles daily at least four times a week in the rain, showers, cold weather, just not the snow.

If you get good winter pants and several long jerseys and cold weather head gear, you can ride through a lot.

AND you get mega props as most of the cyclists wimp out below 50 degrees F.

Loved riding along the river on the paved trails with only a few riders coming or going inside a few miles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.