Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Kona Big Honzo vs. Big Honzo DL 2020

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-20, 03:11 AM
astronaut17

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Big Honzo for more technical riding which became too much for my Rove ST.

I originally went with the Big Honzo, as it seemed better value for money.
But now my LBS called to say the don't actually have the Big Honzo ''as-is'', but
they have a hybrid Big Honzo - the DL frame with all the parts from 'normal' Big Honzo.

However, they said that drivetrain from Big Honzo is not compatible with the DL frame so I have to wait for the new SRAM drivetrain to arrive and be installed on the DL.
I would get it for the normal Big Honzo price.

This seems like a great deal to me, I like the orange color, and would have a somewhat unique bike.

But, just out of curiosity, shouldn't the two frames be exactly the same because DL stands just for better equipment?
They are obviously not the same or otherwise the drivetrain would be compatible.
Also, on the Kona site it says that the DL has 1 mm shorter TT and wheelbase.

Does anyone know what are the differences exactly between the two frames?
Is the DL frame better, lighter or what? Why the 1 mm difference?
I tried Big Honzo L, and I think it fitted fine. I'm 185cm, probably this 1mm difference in TT shouldn't matter as far as sizing goes?

(can't post links yet, so just google)
Kona Big Honzo DL 2020
Kona Big Honzo 2020
Old 06-03-20, 11:32 AM
eshew

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 29 Posts
The frames are identical outside of decals. They are probably stripping down a DL frame for you. They only have the parts that are on the DL, so they have to wait for the cheaper non DL drivetrain to install. The parts are probably compatible, but not at the price you want to pay. You may want to ask them if what the price would be if they kept the DL drivetrain.

Looks like both cassettes are splined, non driver 12 speed.

So yes, all parts should be compatible from a mechanical standpoint, but not price wise.
Old 06-08-20, 03:51 AM
astronaut17

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks.

I asked the same question on mtbr forum, and it seems that the frames are different in the end:

The frames are different. Traditionally they were the same until a year or two ago, now the DL is a nicer frame, or rather the standard Honzo frame got cheaper. Yes it's likely a little lighter.

It uses a different BB standard, that's why the BB and cranks don't swap over.

Most likely the frame comes from a different factory I would guess and the 1mm made the manufacturing process easier so they just changed it slightly. You will never know the difference, 1mm is too small to perceive.