Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Extremely casual DIY chainstay dimpling -- Hey, it works!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Extremely casual DIY chainstay dimpling -- Hey, it works!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-20, 10:06 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
I suspect that "Drew" was the now-unknown Ur-Mensch who gelded all the braze-ons and derailleur hanger off his Colnago or Jack Taylor to make it a fixie, and posted it on a forum. With enough research (maybe this could be a modern-day PhD project) a picture of his grinning face might be found.
Sadly I'm meant to be getting my PhD in something else right now! Only the darn virus stopping me..
However, here's a photo of the ur-mench for Dilberting, to save the next guy some trouble!

Wasn't there a troll thread some years back about a René Herse fixie conversion? A quick google did not turn it up so maybe I'm recalling yet another covid19 nightmare (had one the other night in which Al Capone pushed my Honda into the Mystic river). I do know at least a few René Herses got their lever-operated front derailleurs cut off long ago. Someone even hacked into my Dujardin to de-Nivex it (which is the reason I got it so cheap). Plus ça change...

Last edited by scarlson; 05-25-20 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-25-20, 11:08 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,799 Times in 2,284 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Sadly I'm meant to be getting my PhD in something else right now! Only the darn virus stopping me..
However, here's a photo of the ur-mench for Dilberting, to save the next guy some trouble!
Yeah, Peter Weigle screwed that one up bad. At least I had the sense to do wet paint on it...

Damn, you pulled that one outta the wayback machine there, Sherman.

edit: in the back on the left you can see Andy_K wearing his hideous Maryland jersey.

Last edited by gugie; 05-25-20 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-26-20, 08:24 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Damn, you pulled that one outta the wayback machine there, Sherman.
That is just what comes up when I google you!
Old 05-26-20, 03:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,467 Times in 1,434 Posts
The word "drew" started in this thread from 2008.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 05-27-20, 06:43 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Hmm, I have a lot of them, paid under a dollar each on average. I’d be happy to share...even at retail you can get them at framebuildersupply.com for tree-fiddy a pair.
I bought some a few months ago from framebuilders, they are totally worth the price, but a fair bit more than a standard cable stop, enough so that I didn't just buy a dozen to have them on hand like the standard cable stops.

Thanks for the offer! I'm not in need of any cable stops at them moment, pretty happy with all the bikes I have set up, just need to ride them more!