Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Unsuccessfull rear hub service

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-05-20, 02:28 PM
bikeamateur70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

While biking I suddenly got a very disturbing noise from the rear wheel. As far as I could notice it came from the rear hub. I am all new to bike fixing but have bought a few basic tools, so I started to disassembly the wheel for an inspection. English is my second language and I am not 100% sure I am using all terminology correct, but will try to explain.

I removed the cassette and the axle, but wasn’t able to remove the hub from the rim. Getting access to the “metal balls” (in the bear rings?) I took them out, cleaned the grease and applied plenty of new grease. I was not able to find any broken parts causing the disturbing click noise. I was kind of disorganized doing this job and too late recognized it was two different types of metal balls, on one side 10 of them, slightly smaller than the 9 on the other side. And there we go…when I should put the parts together I didn’t remember which side. I took a chance on putting the 10 small balls on drive side. I am not 100% sure I put all the nuts correctly together but was able to get the cassette back. When testing the wheel again I couldn’t hear the disturbing noise BUT the wheel wasn’t spinning as well as it used to. It was like something wasn’t smooth there, will upload a video as well as picture of the non-drive side of the wheel. Can the spinning issues be caused by wrong placement of the metal balls? Other suggestions on the road ahead to fix this will be welcome.

I cant find any brand name but used a 17 and 16 spanner, it might be a Shimano freehub?
Old 05-05-20, 03:04 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
If that's the only problem, then it sounds like your cones are a little too tight, and just need to be loosened a tiny bit. Search Youtube for "overhaul rear hub" and you'll find several useful videos.
Old 05-05-20, 03:10 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
BTW, you really do not want to separate the rim from the hub.
Old 05-05-20, 03:22 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeamateur70
......I cant find any brand name but used a 17 and 16 spanner, it might be a Shimano freehub?
A Shimano would have nine 1/4" balls/side, unless one of their odd hubs.
How many cogs? You don't give us any info on what brand bike etc.
Old 05-05-20, 06:03 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 718 Posts
If the axle does not spin well or is tight wiggle or shake the axle with one hand, if the axle moves then the balls are in the wrong spot, if it does not move try to loosen the cones and axle nuts. The metal balls are the bearings, I think what you called bear rings (bears are hairy creatures that don't wear rings) are the races, those are the spots in the hub that the bearings move in. The cone is the part on the axle that touches the bearings. With the bearings in the right spot you should be able to adjust the hub to spin easy and not have the axle wiggle, with the bearings in the wrong spot there will be a point where the axle wiggles or it is tight and no good spot, if you can not get to a good spot change the location of the bearings. And your English is fine enough to understand.
Old 05-26-20, 03:58 PM
bikeamateur70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for helping me, guys!! I loosened the cons a little and the wheel was good to go again, There are still some mini-noise (but no wigglling) will look into them when my job get less hectic.My bike is a Merida, but its not the original wheel, and I havent been able to find out any brand name on the hub. Also thanks for clarifying what the "bearing" is, its always better when I am learning to use the terms precisely. I enjoy many of the good youtube videos out there, but this forum is very time saving when I do clumsy mistakes. Problem solved