Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to weigh a bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How to weigh a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-20, 04:49 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
I'm glad that turned out not to be a picture of your garage...
Here's mine.

Last edited by GlennR; 05-27-20 at 12:33 PM.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-26-20, 06:05 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by ivangohome
What's the best makeshift scale for weighing a bike? Kg or lbs, doesn't matter.

I ask as I have recently acquired a good-condition Supercycle Hooligan Downhill MTB, and I suspect it's in good-condition because no one can ride it due to the weight.
Are you concerned about the load capacity of the vehicle that you need to use to carry it up the hill?
Old 05-26-20, 06:24 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
For more precision, use Phughes technique, but put a 1Qt zip lock freezer bag in your pocket. Weigh yourself and bike, step off, add one ounce of water to the bag, step on. Repeat until the scale reads the next pound up. You and the bike weighed the first figure plus (16-X) ounces, where X is the number of ounces of water you added. A pint's a pound, the world around. Now whether the scale is accurate is another challenge. My Park scale doesn't always give the same number for subsequent weighings of the same object.
Good luck
Likes For Pratt:
Old 05-26-20, 06:35 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Isn't the hard part getting your bike into the bathroom?!
Old 05-26-20, 06:37 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by Camilo
Really?
Old 05-26-20, 06:39 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I mean simpler and easier as it pertains to fitting an accurate and repeated weight.
I get the same weight every time. I'm not worried about getting it down to ounces though, nor did I believe the OP was based on their original post.
Old 05-26-20, 08:53 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Within a pound?

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Plenty of hanging scales in the weight range you are looking for online for under $20. Mine is 60 lbs max.

Bathroom scale (you+bike minus just you) will get you within about 1 lb.

I forget what the warrantied accuracy of My bathroom scale was, but i measures in tenths of a pound. If I weigh myself (158.2) stepping on and off 3 times, and then pick up my bike on the last time and do that twice (177.2) both times I would say that the bike weighs pretty close to 19 lbs. not 20 or 18. Not even 19.5 or 18.5, probably between 18.8 and 19.2 lbs and very possibly even closer . While there may be an overall error of a few lbs. in my weight, (and in my weight plus the bike's weight),, the magnitude of the error in the weight of the bike should be roughly 1/8 the size of the overall error, (19/167.7)x(Gross Error)
Something like that anyway....
Old 05-27-20, 02:16 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I forget what the warrantied accuracy of My bathroom scale was, but i measures in tenths of a pound. If I weigh myself (158.2) stepping on and off 3 times, and then pick up my bike on the last time and do that twice (177.2) both times I would say that the bike weighs pretty close to 19 lbs. not 20 or 18. Not even 19.5 or 18.5, probably between 18.8 and 19.2 lbs and very possibly even closer . While there may be an overall error of a few lbs. in my weight, (and in my weight plus the bike's weight),, the magnitude of the error in the weight of the bike should be roughly 1/8 the size of the overall error, (19/167.7)x(Gross Error)
Something like that anyway....
You are confusing precision with accuracy.

Plenty of bathroom scales read out to the first decimal place, but do not measure with accuracy of that level.

Also, if there is an error of 1lb in your weight and an error of 1lb in the you+bike weight, then the error of the.bike weight could be anywhere from 0 to two lbs.

Try this sometime; weigh yourself with an empty water bottle, then do so again with varying amounts of water in the water bottle and see how accurately the scale shows fhe difference.

I’m sure some scales are good enough to do this. But most typical affordable home digital scales are not. At least the few that I have used.

Last edited by Kapusta; 05-27-20 at 02:49 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-27-20, 05:26 AM
Khaled123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could stand on a scale and hold your bike and then without bike and see the difference?
Old 05-27-20, 08:49 AM
Last ride 76 

You are confusing precision with accuracy. No, I wasn't. Repeating the weight test, and getting the same value, shows it measures x weight accurately to weigh x. I'm not saying anything about how much I actually weigh, just that the scale reads my weight unchanged, and the total combined weight also the same. Therefore, subtracting one from the other should be relatively accurate, in actual pounds,(As I know I'm around 160, and the bike is sub-20.) More likely to be accurate than weighing either separately.

Plenty of bathroom scales read out to the first decimal place, but do not measure with accuracy of that level.

Also, if there is an error of 1lb in your weight and an error of 1lb in the you+bike weight, then the error of the.bike weight could be anywhere from 0 to two lbs. . You are making an assumption that any inaccuracies in measurement fluctuate randomly, rather than a particular type of error (either absolute, or on a percentage basis). I took multiple readings, that did not vary thus, if there is an error in absolute terms,it is a consistent error.

I have no way of knowing whether a reading of 158.2 is accurate or 177.2 is accurate in absolute terms. However, they are likely to be closely correlated. knowing that in absolute terms, the scale is within a few pounds.

Try this sometime; weigh yourself with an empty water bottle, then do so again with varying amounts of water in the water bottle and see how accurately the scale shows fhe difference. Here you may have a point, though again, I am less concerned with individual gradations of 0.1 lbs. I will weigh myself and myself with 2 gallons of water, Results tonight if batteries are still working
I’m sure some scales are good enough to do this. But most typical affordable home digital scales are not. At least the few that I have used.
Bed, Bath and Beyond scale, the one that was on sale at the time.
Old 05-27-20, 08:51 AM
Last ride 76 

Originally Posted by Khaled123
Could stand on a scale and hold your bike and then without bike and see the difference?
Yes, we are dicussing the relative accuracy of this method.
Old 05-27-20, 08:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
I just leave it in there.
Makes it easier to wash in the shower.
Old 05-27-20, 12:13 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Of course, the bathroom scale method depends on whether you are strong enough to lift that Supercycle off the ground. I would seriously struggle to do that

Last edited by alcjphil; 05-27-20 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-27-20, 12:19 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

How about bringing it to a LBS and asking them to weigh it?
Old 05-27-20, 12:28 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta View Post
You are confusing precision with accuracy. No, I wasn't. Repeating the weight test, and getting the same value, shows it measures x weight accurately to weigh x. I'm not saying anything about how much I actually weigh, just that the scale reads my weight unchanged, and the total combined weight also the same. Therefore, subtracting one from the other should be relatively accurate, in actual pounds,(As I know I'm around 160, and the bike is sub-20.) More likely to be accurate than weighing either separately.

Also, if there is an error of 1lb in your weight and an error of 1lb in the you+bike weight, then the error of the.bike weight could be anywhere from 0 to two lbs. . You are making an assumption that any inaccuracies in measurement fluctuate randomly, rather than a particular type of error (either absolute, or on a percentage basis). I took multiple readings, that did not vary thus, if there is an error in absolute terms,it is a consistent error.

I have no way of knowing whether a reading of 158.2 is accurate or 177.2 is accurate in absolute terms. However, they are likely to be closely correlated. knowing that in absolute terms, the scale is within a few pounds.

Try this sometime; weigh yourself with an empty water bottle, then do so again with varying amounts of water in the water bottle and see how accurately the scale shows fhe difference. Here you may have a point, though again, I am less concerned with individual gradations of 0.1 lbs. I will weigh myself and myself with 2 gallons of water, Results tonight if batteries are still working
We'll need to see the MSA and control charts on this.
Old 05-27-20, 12:32 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Using a bathroom scale and weighting your self and then holding the bike is the easiest way. BTW ---DO-- take the bathroom scale out in the garage and put it on concrete. Further I would suggest that most of today digital bathroom scales are probable more accurate than some fish scale.

The reason I say concrete is to get an accurate weight. Dont believe me, weigh yourself in the living room on the rug, and then in the bathroom on the hard surface and see the difference.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 05-27-20, 04:02 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Makes it easier to wash in the shower.
It's where I store the vegetables also; I saw a show once that advocated rinsing your veggies this way

Old 05-27-20, 10:00 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Weight yourself, pick up pick up bike, weigh yourself and bike, do the math.
That's how I do it. If there's already one of these scales in your house, it's pretty obvious to try this, rather than to obtain a hanging scale that measures in the necessary range.
Old 05-27-20, 11:03 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I tried that & it worked OK, but I use the ~$15 fishing scale a lot.

More accurate, I think. Always gives the same reading to tenth of an ounce.
Old 05-28-20, 12:01 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Is it really difficult to stand on a scale and lift the bike? I never found it to be a problem.

Now, for getting the weight into pound and ounces, a separate scale is necessary.
Or use a calculator or the Google weight converter... Saved you the cost of a scale.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 05-28-20, 12:08 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
Or use a calculator or the Google weight converter... Saved you the cost of a scale.
Gee, I can figure ounces in my head, but if the scale only reads pounds, and rounds off to the nearest pound, the math is irrelevant.
Old 05-28-20, 05:27 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Gee, I can figure ounces in my head, but if the scale only reads pounds, and rounds off to the nearest pound, the math is irrelevant.
Is there really much difference between 30 and 31 pounds?
Old 05-28-20, 06:10 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
or just crazy: say 40 lbs and if someone challenges, make them weigh it.
Ooh, that's my favorite!
Old 05-28-20, 06:28 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
I just ride my bikes.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-28-20, 07:34 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Is there really much difference between 30 and 31 pounds?
30 is the dividing line for light/heavy for All Mountain / Enduro MTBs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.