Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Non-touring specific question...

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 04-14-17, 06:21 PM
SteveA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We are looking for a vacation location where we can rent a cabin for a week - from where we can:

* Do cycling day trips on quiet country roads
* Do some lake canoeing (without large, fast & loud motorboats)
* Do some day hiking
* Be within 4 hours of an interesting historical site/sites

We are looking for something within a 10 hour drive of Southwestern Ohio.

This is not a touring-specific question but we figure that other touring cyclists may be aware of locations like this. If anyone can recommend a forum better-suited for this question please let us know and we will repost there.

Thanks!
Steve & Linda

Last edited by SteveA; 04-14-17 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Update/correction
Old 04-14-17, 07:10 PM
BlarneyHammer

Bikes: Invictus, Valeria, Jackie, and Vanguard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Lift the location requirement and Texas Hill Country is perfect.

Maybe the Ozarks? I'm not as familiar, but it's a lot closer.

Or I'm sure there are some users from the Northeast that can help you out.
Old 04-15-17, 08:29 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveA
We are looking for a vacation location where we can rent a cabin for a week - from where we can:…

* Do cycling day trips on quiet country roads
* Do some lake canoeing (without large, fast & loud motorboats)
* Do some day hiking
* Be within 4 hours of an interesting historical site/sites

We are looking for something within a 10 hour drive of Southwestern Ohio.

This is not a touring-specific question but we figure that other touring cyclists may be aware of locations like this. If anyone can recommend a forum better-suited for this question please let us know and we will repost there.

Thanks!
Steve & Linda
Originally Posted by BlarneyHammer
... Or I'm sure there are some users from the Northeast that can help you out.
I enjoy replying to these open-ended requests for destinations, and I have a stock answer – Metro Boston. I have the sense from your OP that you are looking for a more a more rural venue, but here is why Metro Boston would fulfill your criteria.

First of all, while lodging in downtown Boston is expensive, if you are just looking for a base of operations, better deals can be found farther out in the city or suburbs, served by public transit. Besides that, in the Metro are are many resort areas particularly on the coastline, that rent cottages. For example our family has visited Rockport for several summers. Just recently we received an advertisement from one such resort (see link).
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...[Rockport is a]resort town on Metro Boston’s scenic North Shore, a nice cycling route 40 miles long north of our condo in downtown Boston. The region is also good for road cycling,and train service with the fully assembled bikes is readily available.I described it in my Cycling Guide to Metro Boston as:
…North Shore: Beautiful Atlantic coastline,especially north of Lynn, to include Nahant,Marblehead and Marblehead Neck, on through Salem, Beverly and into ritzy Beverly Farms, and up to seafaring Gloucester, Rockport, Ipswich,etc…
So one could travel by train from Boston to Rockport [or cycle, in either direction], and then it’s a short walk …to Rockport Center which itself is an interesting walkable resort town, including beaches.
* Do cycling day trips on quiet country roads.
Personally. I'm very happy cycling in Metro Boston, and have posted an informal Cycling Guide to Metro Boston that would make a nice hub and spoke tour of nine days[including travel time]. It may seem parochial, but I think the cycling around here is great.

One can be in scenic countryside within about one hour from downtown,while passing through an interesting, compact urban and suburban scene. Furthermore you can extend your range with a convenient Commuter Rail that allows fully-assembled bikes during off-peak hours.In Spring through Fall it’s a temperate climate.
*Do some lake canoeing (without large, fast & loud motor boats)
The Charles River is popular for canoeing,and other water transport, as well as much of the Atlantic coastline. There are also many inland lakes / ponds, e.g. Walden Pond
* Do some day hiking
Boston is considered America’s most walkable city. For walks further afield, particularly in the countryside, the Appalachian Mountain Club, for example is a source.
* Be within 4 hours of interesting historical site/sites
Say no morethis is Boston.
"Suggestions for the next epic ride"...Besides the cycling, Boston is such a popular tourist destination that there will always be something interesting to do off the bike…culture, nightlife, sports and so forth.

I know you would like to avoid the urban experience, and further out into New England could satisfy that condition. Camping near Boston too would be problematic, but not impossible. If you’ve never been here before, the experience may be even more…epic.
…We are looking for something within a 10 hour drive of Southwestern Ohio.
I’m a native Michigander, and we frequently drive about 700 miles from Boston to Metropolitan Detroit in about 13 hours, but that includes two border crossings of Canada. From Mapquest, Boston is about 840 miles from Dayton. FYA a BF subscriber came out from Dayton to visit for just a weekend Bike Ride, and had a good time.
Originally Posted by rtool
Spent a great weekend with Jim (Jim from boston).Arrived Friday afternoon and we took off for a ride around the city. Rode to Harvard University following a local MUP, and then took a non-street ride to see the USS Constitution. Great ride with plenty to see.…Excellent [long Saturday] ride had a real great time.

Sunday I took off on my own to ride the Minute Man Trail. Weather was great going to Lexington and Bedford, but it rained fairly heavy on my way back. MinutemanTrail is really nice and wide with plenty to see along the way.

Jim took me on walking tours of Boston each evening and it was great having someone telling me all about Boston. Last time I was in Boston was in 1960.Seen many sites I had totally forgotten about. Jim is quite the tour leader.Very knowledgeable about Boston and passed on lots of it’s history.We also ate extremely well. Everything from fresh fish to Italian, and ending Sunday evening at a Thai restaurant. All-in-all it was a great weekend...
On a few different Forums, I have posted,
I live in Kenmore Square…

I personally enjoy showing visitors around Boston, and I have offered some open-ended invitations on a few Forums to look me up if visiting Boston, for advice or to meet up. I do usually need a couple days notice to alter my schedule...
Finally, other sources for suggested destinations might be the Regional Discussion Forums, such as Northeast, Great Lakes, and Southeast.
BTW,over the years I have responded to several of these threads with open-ended requests for travel destinations. One thing they have in common is that the OP never informs us of the final destination, much less how was the trip, even when requested to do so.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-15-17 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-15-17, 08:43 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
Hard to beat the Northeast (upstate NY, VT, NH) but that is likely north of 10 hours for you. Beautiful country to ride and walk in and lots of history.
Old 04-15-17, 10:00 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Not so sure on the hiking, but plenty of places in Northern Michigan would suit the rural biking and canoeing. Get across the bridge into the Eastern UP, and there is plenty of national forest and state land with cabins.

Can't remember the name of the place, but we rented a cabin just outside of the Seney National Wildlife refuge last year. It'd make a nice base for cycling, and plenty of canoeing options in the refuge itself.
Old 04-15-17, 10:25 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Not so sure on the hiking, but plenty of places in Northern Michigan would suit the rural biking and canoeing. Get across the bridge into the Eastern UP, and there is plenty of national forest and state land with cabins...
+10 to Michigan too. I mentioned earlier on this thread that I'm a native Michigander, and besides Boston I had previously posted
"Suggestions for next epic ride"...FWIW, after decades I still have fond memories of my earliest cycle touring in my home state of Michigan. Tourism is, I believe Michigan’s second largest industry, and it’s largely a rural / forested state with a lengthy shoreline, an extensive road system, and numerous towns and facilities, including campgrounds, spaced at convenient cycling distances. IMO, an excellent, though perhaps mundane getaway. Just sayin’…FWIW (even as a cross-country cyclist)....
One consideration of Boston though, if you are from Ohio, I thnk you would find Boston more "exotic" than Michigan.
Old 04-15-17, 10:33 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Canada. Can't narrow it down given that I don't know much about it.
Old 04-15-17, 10:57 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Hard to beat the Northeast (upstate NY, VT, NH) but that is likely north of 10 hours for you. Beautiful country to ride and walk in and lots of history.
I agree with this post. Vermont or the Adirondacks in New York.
Old 04-15-17, 11:21 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by alan s
Oh yeah...Canada. As a native Detroiter, we actually lived just North of Canada and I was very familiar with, and enjoyed the ambiance. I've been on at least three extended tourist stays in Toronto, and our family spent two summer vacations in the so-called "Cottage Country" north of TO.
…Back in the 60’s in the Motor City, I had an “English Racer,’ and longed to tour at about age 14, but then joined the car culture. In Ann Arbor MI in the 70’s I really realized the utility of bicycles for commuting, and began touring on a five-speed Schwinn Suburban, but soon bought a Mercier as did my girlfriend,later my wife. We toured in Michigan and Ontario.

In 1977 we moved to Boston on our bikes, as a bicycling honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington, DC and then took the train up to Boston. We have toured in New England and the Maritime Provinces, and one trip to the DelMarVa peninsula….
BTW, @alan s is the OP of the thread I have quoted, “Suggestions for the next epic ride,” so check that one out. He posted:
... @Jim from Boston two summers ago I rode from Boston through Cape Cod, and my sister lives in the suburbs, so I've spen tplenty of time riding in your area. It is very nice there, but not quite what I have in mind.

Going to have to look into Canada further. Sounds like many nice rides there. Never heard of Icefields Parkway. Looks stunning. My mother (rest her soul) was Canadian, and I have many relatives in Quebec, Ontario and Nova Scotia that may be due a visit.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-15-17 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-15-17, 02:18 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Could try Wawa. Never been there myself, but my brother spent a few weeks a summer up there over many years, lots of fishing rentals. Definitely checks the rural roads and plenty of canoeing boxes, most of the lakes they fished had a strict 10HP limit. Not a heck of a lot in SW Ontario beyond farmland, though, one would have to get north or east of Toronto entering from Detroit.

Google says Wawa is 10h 9m from Dayton, so nevermind, it is outside of the OPs parameters by 9 minutes
Old 04-15-17, 03:26 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Check out cabins at Pickett State Park in TN Pickett State Park ? Tennessee State Parks . It's on the Cumberland Plateau, has some elevation. It's adjacent to Big South Fork https://www.nps.gov/biso/index.htm. There are nice paved roads and there are some well maintained gravel roads in Big South Fork. Plenty of hiking trails in both parks. I'm not sure about canoeing, but there is rafting and kayaking on the Big South Fork. Historic sites nearby are Rugbyhttps://www.historicrugby.org/history-of-villiage/ Cumberland Homesteads Homesteads History and Oak Ridge https://www.nps.gov/mapr/oakridge.htm