Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Latest tool purchase and why...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Latest tool purchase and why...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-20, 04:49 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by billnuke1
These little HF beauties!
$.99 for the 4” and $1.99 for the 6”!
On the metal topped bench, a dropped piece, a rogue bearing, is immediately corralled by the numerous and strategically placed magnetic trays stuck to the table!
Of course they also stick to the work stands...
I keep all of my wife’s tossed out cookie sheets, brownie pans...when these 4”/6” magnetic trays are placed inside of these sheets and pans, they become magnetisd themselves!
Of course the sheets and pans can not be aluminum...I keep both materials...
Great for separating parts and keeping other parts in order...
5x cheaper than the Park 6". Blue paint must be expensive
They are really handy though for sure. .
Old 05-15-20, 04:32 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts

Three useful “settings”...

Rebuilt and cleaned this wheel yesterday, before getting the tool...gonna make a big difference when I do the rear wheel and from now on...
Old 05-15-20, 04:36 PM
billnuke1 

Also got the single...this can go into the vice or be positioned two ways on the bench or brought with me on road trips, camping, attached to a piece of wood...
Old 05-15-20, 05:29 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
These little HF beauties!
$.99 for the 4” and $1.99 for the 6”!
On the metal topped bench, a dropped piece, a rogue bearing, is immediately corralled by the numerous and strategically placed magnetic trays stuck to the table!
Of course they also stick to the work stands...
I keep all of my wife’s tossed out cookie sheets, brownie pans...when these 4”/6” magnetic trays are placed inside of these sheets and pans, they become magnetisd themselves!
Of course the sheets and pans can not be aluminum...I keep both materials...
Great for separating parts and keeping other parts in order...
And every once in a while they have a "free coupon" for the 4".

Old muffin pans (6 muffin style) are also great for keeping parts sorted when disassembling/reassembling

Old 05-15-20, 05:45 PM
billnuke1 

Great size...magnetized edge to edge...gotta go through wife’s cupcake pans...found some bigger pans...aluminum though...
Old 05-15-20, 08:14 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
IceToolz Campagnolo lock ring tool with 1/2" drive so I don't need to grab the 1" socket from the imperial rack in my 1/2" drive drawer. My torque wrenches have interchangeable heads so they're not size specific and reside in their own drawer.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 05-15-20 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-15-20, 10:26 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
I just bought a Park FR 5.2 cassette lockring tool. My previous Park lockring tool split, rendering it useless.
Old 05-17-20, 02:33 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,191 Posts
^^^^^ Must be the season. Both of my latest tool acquisitions were repair/replacement (of the tools themselves):
* Park FR-1.3 Shimano splined freewheel tool. Old one is actually worn to the point that it "jumped" inside one particularly recalcitrant freewheel
* Park CTP chain tool replacement pin two-pack. Same bike, broke the pin trying to remove a really shot chain (this bike spent a LOT of time outside)
Old 05-17-20, 02:41 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Just got the Hozan spoke threader last week. Withe six bikes going I think it’ll pay for itself quickly.

Dan
Old 05-17-20, 04:47 PM
Dwillems26

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Not so much a purchase.. I made a tool to get a cap off inside a cannondale headshok. Made from an old seat tube I had to pull out of my recycling bin lol. I might hold onto it for a cheater bar when I need one.

Before that it was a cassette lock ring tool from park tool.

Next will be a cone wrench set
Likes For Dwillems26:
Old 05-17-20, 07:02 PM
billnuke1 

On the want list...

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Just got the Hozan spoke threader last week. Withe six bikes going I think it’ll pay for itself quickly.

Dan
Definitely a luxury to me...I scored a large amount of varied sized spokes a while back...I had always wanted one of these threaders before then...enjoy
Old 05-17-20, 10:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts

Mainly bought because I needed some other stuff from Merry Sales Co. and said you know what I might try one of these, the concept is excellent and the price ain't bad so why not try it.
Old 05-18-20, 04:46 AM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
IceToolz Campagnolo lock ring tool with 1/2" drive so I don't need to grab the 1" socket from the imperial rack in my 1/2" drive drawer. My torque wrenches have interchangeable heads so they're not size specific and reside in their own drawer.

I was always tired of switching ratchet wrench/ breaker bar to use my one inch deep wall socket for Park Tools cassette or Freewheel tools (I like to secure tool w/ skewer or axle nut). So I decided to find the perfect version ( for this application) of the socket; six point (less likely to slip or round things), deep well ( as previously explained before) and 3/8” drive (so not to need to switch ratchet)! I could only find one manufacturer that had said socket in six point version- Snap-On. I ordered it from one of the trucks, thinking; “how much could it cost“. I was shocked that when it came in it was $50!!! As I agreed to buy it, it is now in my cassette/ freewheel tool drawer.
But hey, it works really nicely...........

Last edited by elcraft; 05-18-20 at 04:52 AM.
Likes For elcraft:
Old 05-18-20, 07:22 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Hozan C-205 Lock Ring Wrench because it sticks to the grooves while you're tightening like stink on a dog pile. Always thought Park tools were the best and still impressed by them, but from now on the few I need will be Hozan (sorry no picture).
Old 05-18-20, 07:58 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Definitely a luxury to me...I scored a large amount of varied sized spokes a while back...I had always wanted one of these threaders before then...enjoy
I purchased mine new from Modern Bike but I'd bet you could find one used for much cheaper. I think it'd be a safe purchase because I wouldn't think it's a tool that can be screwed up even through improper use. I have lots of spokes that I "harvested" from old wheels that I disassembled over the years. They were wheels that didn't have aero rims so the spokes are way too long. So, I can cut them to length and thread them for use on my newer wheels as needed.

Dan
Old 05-18-20, 09:44 AM
billnuke1 

Originally Posted by 2old
Hozan C-205 Lock Ring Wrench because it sticks to the grooves while you're tightening like stink on a dog pile. Always thought Park tools were the best and still impressed by them, but from now on the few I need will be Hozan (sorry no picture).
Mmmmmm...beefy...
Old 05-18-20, 06:34 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
Got the set of torque bars today from the tool truck I ordered five weeks ago. Snap-On and a bit pricey but beats the bejebers out of finding out you over-torqued a rim and bent the disc brake rotor. No pics but you get the idea. Re-doing a brake job for free is no fun. Smiles, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 05-19-20 at 12:11 PM.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 05-18-20, 06:44 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
6mm wrench because my deraillieur has the cable hooked onto it with such a nut attached to a wood screw of all things. For some reason.
Old 05-18-20, 08:39 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by elcraft
I was always tired of switching ratchet wrench/ breaker bar to use my one inch deep wall socket for Park Tools cassette or Freewheel tools (I like to secure tool w/ skewer or axle nut). So I decided to find the perfect version ( for this application) of the socket; six point (less likely to slip or round things), deep well ( as previously explained before) and 3/8” drive (so not to need to switch ratchet)! I could only find one manufacturer that had said socket in six point version- Snap-On. I ordered it from one of the trucks, thinking; “how much could it cost“. I was shocked that when it came in it was $50!!! As I agreed to buy it, it is now in my cassette/ freewheel tool drawer.
But hey, it works really nicely...........
Why not just use a 1" wrench? I always find the further away that the leverage sits the more likely the tool is to slip. A wrench gets right in close to the lockring and the lockring tool never slips. I find this extra true for sealed cartridge BB tools, they always have a 1/2" drive at the end and always cam out when using it. But pop a 32mm wrench on the BB tool and it virtually never looses grip.

I've got a Campagnolo bleed kit and cassette lockring tool showing tomorrow.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 05-18-20, 10:40 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
The cost for a good tool is never an issue for a real mechanic. It won't break and will always work,and if it does wear out the company will replace it. The cost for tools may be high but if bought from the right company it is a life time buy. I bought Mac tools for all of my bike repairs and have never needed to replace one of them. Never needed to worry about the tool failing while using it,and knew it was covered by a life-time replacement coverage. I can likely send them along to a new mechanic when I pass and know they will work well into the future. I have passed a number of wrenches over to Sykerocker who lost his garage to a fire, ask him about the quality of those. Smiles, MH
Old 05-19-20, 08:23 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
The cost for a good tool is never an issue for a real mechanic. It won't break and will always work,and if it does wear out the company will replace it. The cost for tools may be high but if bought from the right company it is a life time buy. I bought Mac tools for all of my bike repairs and have never needed to replace one of them. Never needed to worry about the tool failing while using it,and knew it was covered by a life-time replacement coverage. I can likely send them along to a new mechanic when I pass and know they will work well into the future. I have passed a number of wrenches over to Sykerocker who lost his garage to a fire, ask him about the quality of those. Smiles, MH
Lot of truth to this, I've got my wrenches, ratchets, and sockets stacked with Wright which are an industrial brand and still made in OH. I do have a few Snap-On ratchet wrenches, the reversible is nice but I find I don't like a lot of offset, the other two are non-reversible, have a nice length, zero offset and don't have teeth in the open end which makes them nice for not marring bolts. I might relegate these to the travel tool box since it is used with a lot of track bikes and they won't mar the shiny chrome axle nuts. Also partially due to the cost of filling out the set when SK makes a really nice set of zero-offset ratchet combo wrenches here in the US that is just as nice but more affordable.
Check out https://sktools.com/shop/x-framer-6p...et-12-pcs.html
8-19mm which is most every size you need for a bike, seen them down close to 200 around father's day and other similar sale times.
Old 05-19-20, 10:23 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Bought a new park Suntour two-prong freewheel removal tool because the ancient Suntour one I had went awol.

Sure enough, about one week later I found the missing Suntour one. The Park tool is still in the original packaging. I'm hoping the shop will take it back once they reopen to walk in customers.

The Ancient Suntour freewheel remover fits my Pocket Vise perfectly.

Cheers
Old 05-19-20, 11:04 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I found this derailleur hanger alignment tool on sale for $30US at Wiggle a few weeks ago.

I've never had an obvious need for one, but it's about the only bike specific tool I don't have (not counting some that I've made DIY tools for like bearing and cup presses). I've never been willing to spend $100+ for a tool like this, but $30? Why not!

I hope to actually try it out soon just for grins, although I don't think I have any alignment issues on any of the 8 family bikes I provide service for. It will be interesting to see.
Old 05-20-20, 09:21 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,191 Posts
^^^^^^ Wiggle?
Old 05-26-20, 08:28 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts
One "tool" that I use a lot is an old straight bar off an old mountain bike. I cut it down so it fits in my tool box . ti slips over the end of my socket wrench or an allen wrench and gives me the mechanical advantage I need to break loose stubborn fasteners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.