Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Buying a bike on the Internet? Yes!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-20, 04:43 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts

Several years ago I bought a Giant flat-bar road bike, a plan to accommodate a bad shoulder and still ride up to the half/metric-century distance. I wasn't in love with the bike but rode it. Rotator cuff surgery cured the shoulder problem, And the bike? Just couldn't ever love it. I made the decision to get something else. Fortunately I found a good buyer on Craigslist who gave me what bicyclebluebook.com said my bike was worth.

So now, what's next? I looked at most of the carbon endurance bikes -- Trek Domane, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Avant, and a few others. One by one I ruled them out -- Trek (too much $$), Specialized (already owned one), and Orbea (no availability from Spain).

I kept coming back to the Canyon Endurace CF SL 7.0. But who buys a bike on the Internet? There are no test rides, no hands-on, nothing. I did poll Bike Forums readers about Canyon and got good responses. I did extensive comparisons of geometry and dimensions, finding the Endurace had no real outliers on stack, wheelbase, reach, etc. compared to other bikes.

So I threw caution to the wind and bought the thing. Canyon does have the 30 day return policy so I knew if it was the worst decision ever, I could bail out. Canyon literally shipped my bike out the same day I ordered it. Within 4 days I had the bike.

I had a problem in assembly of my own doing and opted to engage Velofix (and that's another story, a really good one).

To wrap this up, I absolutely LOVE this bike. It's fast -- lighter than my Giant and the drop bars give me aerodynamic advantage. Let's be clear -- I'm no racer and my ride speed would impress no one. I had no difficulty adjusting to it, I'm riding 1.5-2.0 mph faster, and the bike just feels comfortable.

And the Hellfire Red color really wows me. As did the $300 discount for being last year's model and Canyon's free shipping offer.

So yes, every once in a while, good luck does happen.

Old 04-20-20, 05:45 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Way to go!! My favorite ride in the stable has a red frame as well. I've never ridden a Canyon but I know the gravel bikes are highly rated so I'm sure the road bike is rock solid. Looks like Shimano 105 components which are very durable, along with hydraulic brakes and internal cable routing. Looks like 24 spoke wheels front and rear-do you know what wheels those are? How does the saddle feel so far?

My last bike was also purchased online like yours. I think the only assembly required was the bars and wheels....and maybe the seat post.

Beautiful bike. I know your going to love it.
Old 04-20-20, 06:57 PM
davethelefty

Originally Posted by jppe
Way to go!! My favorite ride in the stable has a red frame as well. I've never ridden a Canyon but I know the gravel bikes are highly rated so I'm sure the road bike is rock solid. Looks like Shimano 105 components which are very durable, along with hydraulic brakes and internal cable routing. Looks like 24 spoke wheels front and rear-do you know what wheels those are? How does the saddle feel so far?

My last bike was also purchased online like yours. I think the only assembly required was the bars and wheels....and maybe the seat post.

Beautiful bike. I know your going to love it.
The wheels are Mavic Aksium Elites. I could have upgraded to DTSwiss but had to draw the line on cost. Upgrading to better/lighter wheels is something I'll do one day.

The Selle Italia saddle was the first thing off the bike. I have a slightly wider cushioned saddle (don't remember the brand) that has been on my last few bikes. I tried the stock saddle and that was torture for me.

You're right -- assembly was handlebars, seat post, pedals, front wheel. Canyon really designs the package well. I am happy!
Old 04-20-20, 07:15 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
congrats man! You found your bike and your deal and pulled the trigger. That's gonna be a sweet ride, enjoy
Old 04-20-20, 10:21 PM
Digger6255

Bikes: CAAD13 Disc, Ridley Fenix, Electra Lux 7D

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Congrats on a great looking bike. I've been drooling over this one for a while now. I love my Ridley but Di2 and disc brakes on a brand new bike for $3699 is almost too good to pass up. This blue and the red that you got are such great colors on these bikes.

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...FBK&quantity=1
Old 04-21-20, 12:16 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
have had good luck buying five frames (aluminum/cf, cf, and 3 steel frames) on ebay over the years but never a complete bike on the interwebz. enjoy!
Old 04-21-20, 06:00 AM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
I’m looking at the Canyon Endurace CF SLX 9, I have some inquiries regarding components and sizing. Would like to hear your feedback.
Old 04-21-20, 08:23 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Nice bike! Been hearing many compliments on Canyon bikes. Have a blast with it!!
Old 04-21-20, 12:52 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
My last two bikes have been Ebay bikes. I have been happy with them. Yours looks outstanding!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 04-21-20, 01:39 PM
davethelefty

Originally Posted by wthensler
I’m looking at the Canyon Endurace CF SLX 9, I have some inquiries regarding components and sizing. Would like to hear your feedback.
Well, I'm completely sold on Canyon and value for the money. So for your bike, a lot of good stuff for the price. Are you looking at the CF SLX 9.0 with eTap? I just don't know much about eTap or Di2. I did meet a guy that works for Velofix and he himself has an Endurace, though I think it's a CF SL 8.0, because he said he had Di2.

And yes, this guy who's a professional bike mechanic is high on Canyon. I think that says a lot.

As for sizing, I'm 5'11" (or used to be, when I was younger...) and I bought a medium. The Velofix mechanic is a bit smaller and he bought a small. I think Canyon's sizing guidelines are pretty right on the money, unless you have a long or short torso or long legs and need to adjust upward/downward.

Good luck! Can't wait to read your Canyon stories!!!!
Likes For davethelefty:
Old 04-21-20, 01:47 PM
davethelefty

Originally Posted by Digger6255
Congrats on a great looking bike. I've been drooling over this one for a while now. I love my Ridley but Di2 and disc brakes on a brand new bike for $3699 is almost too good to pass up. This blue and the red that you got are such great colors on these bikes.

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...FBK&quantity=1
I met a Velofix mechanic who has that exact bike. He loves it and he really likes the Canyon brand. That blue frame is spectacular and with great components and wheels it'll be a great bike for you.
Likes For davethelefty:
Old 04-21-20, 04:51 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
Nice bike. I was seriously considering an Endurace with DI2 but when a deal came along on a 19 Roubaix for a few hundred less that I could get from my LBS with a free fitting I couldn't pass it up. Would still very much like to try one of the Canyon's. Pretty much everything I've heard has been positive and you get a lot for the money.

Hope it brings many enjoyable miles.
Old 04-21-20, 05:23 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Of the nine bikes I presently own, three were complete bikes purchased online and three were framesets. The three I bought from lbs I did not even test ride.
Old 04-21-20, 06:27 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Originally Posted by FloridaDave
Well, I'm completely sold on Canyon and value for the money. So for your bike, a lot of good stuff for the price. Are you looking at the CF SLX 9.0 with eTap? I just don't know much about eTap or Di2. I did meet a guy that works for Velofix and he himself has an Endurace, though I think it's a CF SL 8.0, because he said he had Di2.

And yes, this guy who's a professional bike mechanic is high on Canyon. I think that says a lot.

As for sizing, I'm 5'11" (or used to be, when I was younger...) and I bought a medium. The Velofix mechanic is a bit smaller and he bought a small. I think Canyon's sizing guidelines are pretty right on the money, unless you have a long or short torso or long legs and need to adjust upward/downward.

Good luck! Can't wait to read your Canyon stories!!!!
I will let everyone know if I decide to go ahead. I’ll be on the phone with them this week. Yes, it’ll be the Di2 Dura Ace. I have a Giant Defy 0 and a Trek Domane 6.2, both fitted with Ultegra Di2, so I’m sold on electronic shifting. I’d like to try SRAM eTap, but afraid the shifting pattern would confuse me as I’m always back and forth on bikes.

I’m wondering how different the Canyon would be from the Giant (I’d also go for the medium, given my experience with stack and reach). Disk brakes, slightly nicer drivetrain, perhaps a bit smoother in the saddle (and the 28s will be far different than the 23s I’m running on the Giant). But the Giant has been a heck of a bike for the $$.

I’m also contemplating another Domane, the SLR with Dura Ace Di2. This would be on top of the Canyon.

I’ll do the Domane as a P1 and really do up the paint in honor of what may be my last road bike. Go out with a bang! And with a price to match...

As for size, your bike (gorgeous color, btw) looks like it’ll fit me just fine!

Last edited by wthensler; 04-21-20 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 04-21-20, 07:25 PM
davethelefty

Originally Posted by wthensler
I will let everyone know if I decide to go ahead. I’ll be on the phone with them this week. Yes, it’ll be the Di2 Dura Ace. I have a Giant Defy 0 and a Trek Domane 6.2, both fitted with Ultegra Di2, so I’m sold on electronic shifting. I’d like to try SRAM eTap, but afraid the shifting pattern would confuse me as I’m always back and forth on bikes.

I’m wondering how different the Canyon would be from the Giant (I’d also go for the medium, given my experience with stack and reach). Disk brakes, slightly nicer drivetrain, perhaps a bit smoother in the saddle (and the 28s will be far different than the 23s I’m running on the Giant). But the Giant has been a heck of a bike for the $$.

I’m also contemplating another Domane, the SLR with Dura Ace Di2. This would be on top of the Canyon.

I’ll do the Domane as a P1 and really do up the paint in honor of what may be my last road bike. Go out with a bang! And with a price to match...

As for size, your bike (gorgeous color, btw) looks like it’ll fit me just fine!
Funny you should say that -- the Trek Domane was going to be my last bike, assuming that next would be something motorized I could putter around on at the old folk's home!!!

I was looking at the Domane SL 5. But the fact is that from a component perspective, the Domane and my Canyon were nearly identical. The Trek might be a bit heavier, and on the Domane Trek has that little tool storage thing in the down tube. But (and this is a big but) the Trek was $1000 more expensive than the Canyon. Sure I'd have a LBS to work with, but I'd also pay 7% Fla. sales tax on that Trek, meaning it would actually be $1200 more expensive. I just couldn't get the value proposition of Trek, at the level of bikes/components I was considering.

And here's another thing. Everyone has a Trek. Or a Specialized. And I do see some Giants. But Canyon is unique. I'd looked at Orbea because I've heard a lot of good about them, but the local dealer is handcuffed, cannot get bikes from Spain, for who knows how long. So to me the Canyon is not something you're going to see every day. In my riding I've seen 2...

Good luck with your decision. At the trim level you're looking at, you can't go wrong with either bike. I am still a loyal Trek fan (and have a Trek MTB) but I'm happy to be on a Canyon.
Likes For davethelefty:
Old 04-22-20, 05:51 AM
wthensler 

Funny you should say that -- the Trek Domane was going to be my last bike, assuming that next would be something motorized I could putter around on at the old folk's home!!!

I was looking at the Domane SL 5. But the fact is that from a component perspective, the Domane and my Canyon were nearly identical. The Trek might be a bit heavier, and on the Domane Trek has that little tool storage thing in the down tube. But (and this is a big but) the Trek was $1000 more expensive than the Canyon. Sure I'd have a LBS to work with, but I'd also pay 7% Fla. sales tax on that Trek, meaning it would actually be $1200 more expensive. I just couldn't get the value proposition of Trek, at the level of bikes/components I was considering.

And here's another thing. Everyone has a Trek. Or a Specialized. And I do see some Giants. But Canyon is unique. I'd looked at Orbea because I've heard a lot of good about them, but the local dealer is handcuffed, cannot get bikes from Spain, for who knows how long. So to me the Canyon is not something you're going to see every day. In my riding I've seen 2...

Good luck with your decision. At the trim level you're looking at, you can't go wrong with either bike. I am still a loyal Trek fan (and have a Trek MTB) but I'm happy to be on a Canyon.
Haha, the new Domane I’m contemplating runs north of $ 12k! That’s for a bicycle with no motor, and the same componentry as the Canyon, give or take.......

And you’re spot on about the extra $ 1,000 for Treks - I call it the Lance Armstrong fund. And yes, everyone has a Trek or Spesh......

I know a lot of people dislike (or disdain) Treks, but I’m not one of them. In my nearly 8 years of ownership, the Domane has given me thousands and thousands of miles of endless comfort. I’ve blown through endless tires and chains, and a few Isospeeds, brake sets, rear cogs, a set of wheels, and bottom brackets - all in the name of hard riding......

And the Giant - even more so. It’s currently my daily here in VA mountains. They really nailed it with the Defy - it is a great climber in the rugged hills - very compliant, light as a feather, and fast. Surprisingly comfy for a 62 year old - a really fun ride!

So yeah, the Canyon will be a hoot. Not sure where its home base will be, probably Florida - but it’ll get a lot of usage.

I’ll be seeing a bike fitter shortly, and I’m sure he’ll have opinions about all the bikes, including Canyon.......he already had strong opinions about the Roubaix and Future shock( which I tried to buy, another story).

By the way, wife thinks I’m nuts, but I’ve spun this by stating there are no more spares for the Ultegra Di2 6770 sets for the existing bikes. This is true, as I had a hell of a time finding a rear replacement derailleur for the Giant after a hard fall from being attacked by a dog 🐕 here in VA. She knows I like bikes and enjoy them, so no problem.

Again, thanks for your encouragement and information. My next purchase after this will have 3 wheels and a big chair....Get ready for the FL heat!

Post Note: the Endurace CF SLX Disc 9.0 ETAP is pricing out at $ 7 k, the Di2 version $ 6 k. I think eTap has a power meter installed, thus the price difference. No color choices on website. Final decision on sizing and eTap versus Di2 pending....

Last edited by wthensler; 04-22-20 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-22-20, 06:21 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Good post that shows if your willing to do some research comparisons and polling then buying an online bike may not be "good luck does happen".
Likes For joesch:
Old 04-22-20, 10:22 AM
wthensler 

As a follow up, I spoke with Canyon this morning. The Endurace SLX models only come with SRAM eTap for 2020. The 8.0 Disc features SRAM Force, and the 9.0 is SRAM Red. based on the conversation, it sounds like a Medium will work just fine, but I’ll have to go back and look at stack and reach numbers again.

Only one color, stealth black (who am I kidding). Also, the integrated cockpit design fixes the stem length and handlebar width, but that can be customized for an additional $ 400. Total with tax and shipping for the Endurace CF SLX 9.0 eTap SRAM Red ASX is a tad shy of $ 7,500.

Delivery was less than a week out pre-COVID, but that has changed. They recommend shipping to local LBS to assemble and set up the wireless SRAM components.

Was also told it’ll feel a lot like the Giant Defy, only better....oh, and stock tires are 30mm!

That’s pretty much the long and short of it.

Last edited by wthensler; 04-22-20 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-22-20, 11:23 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Canyon does have the 30 day return policy
How does that work? They provide return shipping? You box and pay? Curious, thanks.
Old 04-22-20, 11:34 AM
wthensler 

I didn’t ask about return shipping. I assume you could use the same box - shipping is $ 89 dollars ground - not a deal breaker.

But would certainly like to avoid sending it back. Most obvious reason would be lack of fit, or perhaps being really disappointed with the bike in general, both of which I highly doubt.

Post Note: After poking around on the internet, I discovered Giant makes the Defy Advanced Pro 0 Red. It appears to be virtually identical to the Endurace CF SLX 9, and is the same price, with the exception of some frame dimension differences. Notably, the Canyon has a shorter wheelbase, and of course, is purchased online.

Also of note is that I have noticed a big push by SRAM into electronic shifting. It looks like Canyon and Giant no longer carry Shimano Di2 in favor of SRAM. Interesting.........

Last edited by wthensler; 04-22-20 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-22-20, 05:49 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
Great looking Canyon Endurace.
A few months ago I was riding myself into such good shape the 50x11 on my older SuperSix wasn't tall enough and I could either sink resources into the old bike, or buy a new bike. I went with the new bike and couldn't find exactly what I was after locally, so I bought a 2020 Cervelo R5 frameset from Competitive Cyclists (without ever even seeing an R5 in person), when the frames went on sale. Then I had them build it up. I was already considering the R5 strongly before the frames went on sale. I wouldn't have done this if I weren't really familiar with what frame geometry and sizing works for me. I've put just over 1,500 miles on the bike since January and outside of a saddle change it's been a flawless experience.
Old 04-23-20, 06:50 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I think with the Corvid-19 the trend is accelerating to Internet bike purchases. Bicycle Shops are becoming service centers instead. Trek is selling bikes on the Internet and direct shipping them to customers no shipping costs. I've bought two new bikes online, and two used bikes online. I use mobile bicycle repair companies to assemble and tune my bikes. I don't have to go to a bicycles shop, and the repairs are done the same day at home or at work. My mobile repair guy told me he's been working 14 hour days since the pandemic started.
Likes For alloo:
Old 04-23-20, 11:08 AM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
I also have a Canyon Endurace in red since last summer and love the bike. Canyon has an approach that is simple and they communicate value in direct to consumer sales. Just wanted to say that.
Likes For sshakari:
Old 04-23-20, 09:23 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Do those SLX models have proprietary stem? That's one thing that bugs me about many higher end bikes these days.

scott s.
Old 04-24-20, 07:31 AM
wthensler 

Originally Posted by scott967
Do those SLX models have proprietary stem? That's one thing that bugs me about many higher end bikes these days.

scott s.

Yes, and so does Giant. I think what’s happening is Trek (ISO) and Specialized (Future Shock) have strong patents on their flexible front end technologies. So this is another way around it.

Actually, I’m wondering if the new composite handlebar designs aren’t more than adequate for the type of road riding I do. Starting to warm up to the idea.

Wider, softer tires and flexible handlebars would go a long way towards killing the road buzz, which is by far my biggest annoyance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.