Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why is it sooooo hard?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Why is it sooooo hard?

Old 05-11-20, 11:41 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by probe1957
Getting old. What used to be easy is hard and what used to be hard....well....isn't.
I didn't realize the double entrendre in what you quoted, but I sure see it now! Still valid though.
Old 05-11-20, 02:33 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
"When I clip-in?....things can get hairy quick!"

Jinks, I just may steal this for a signature line!

Thanks, Buddy!
Likes For Wanderer:
Old 05-11-20, 06:40 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
Originally Posted by MadKaw
Beats the alternative.
Yeah, we covered that earlier. A few more years and I will have outlasted my father. Already older than my grandfather, uncle, and brother made it.
Old 05-11-20, 06:46 PM
big john

One thing I have realized, though. My goal is not to make a distance or a speed or a time. My goal is to ride. I am giving up the idea of making artificial goals; lets face it, the odds of the U.S. Olympic team choosing me to compete with them are pretty gosh-darn low. You'd need to use a computer program to distinguish them from zero. So what am I working for? To feel good, to be healthy, and to have a good time. Today I did just over 2 miles on my mtb, and I am HAPPY!.
My goal is to not get dropped by the group or at least not feel awful when they stop to wait for me. I'd like to be able to do 60=80 mile rides at a fast enough pace to stay reasonably close without feeling like crap later. I was actually getting there before the shutdown of all group rides happened. I did 100 group rides for years and even more after I retired. Been solo for weeks now.
Old 05-12-20, 03:06 AM
Digger6255

Bikes: CAAD13 Disc, Ridley Fenix, Electra Lux 7D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
When I read the OP's first post I thought this is me. My first ride was 2.6 miles, then 8 and a couple after that was around 12. My last ride was 15.2 but I really want to get back to where I was 3 years ago. My normal weekday rides were 25-27 with 40-60 mile weekend ride. The weather is really putting a damper on my training since I don't want to take my bike out in the rain. I've been searching for a older CAAD on craiglist to use as a rain bike but haven't found the right deal yet.
Old 05-12-20, 05:44 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
My first few rides every year are consistently discouraging and embarrassing. On Day One, I can barely get out of the driveway without huffing and puffing. On Day Two, I can almost make it around the block. Day Three, visions of a heart attack start to wane, and by Day Four, I am ready to roll through my Spring/Summer/Fall season of daily commuting, multiple interstate rides, and countless recreational spins without ever breaking a sweat.

I'm not sure what to call this phenomenon, but it scares the heck out of me every year then goes away after that first week of seriously questioning whether bicycling is over for me.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 05-12-20, 05:48 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
For sure, if one lives in a hilly area and one can't buy lower gears, it's e-bike time. Pedal assist only, of course. I know a couple people in that category who've stayed fitter with the e-bike than they would have been without it. Gotta do what you gotta do. We're running a 26T chainring and a 40T big cog on our tandem. We're getting close there. Long 10% grades max us out.
I always get encouragement (and a sense of validation) when I'm climbing a grade like that, and I see a spot in the road where some car burned up trying to climb the exact same hill.
Old 05-12-20, 07:44 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
My first few rides every year are consistently discouraging and embarrassing. On Day One, I can barely get out of the driveway without huffing and puffing. On Day Two, I can almost make it around the block. Day Three, visions of a heart attack start to wane, and by Day Four, I am ready to roll through my Spring/Summer/Fall season of daily commuting, multiple interstate rides, and countless recreational spins without ever breaking a sweat.

I'm not sure what to call this phenomenon, but it scares the heck out of me every year then goes away after that first week of seriously questioning whether bicycling is over for me.
That would be tough for me, to restart every year. My fitness seems to go away so fast if I take any time off the bike. You don't use a trainer during the winter?
Old 05-12-20, 08:02 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
That would be tough for me, to restart every year. My fitness seems to go away so fast if I take any time off the bike. You don't use a trainer during the winter?
Same here, and I get to rediscover just how intolerably bad it feels to be a normal, average non-exercising person. I don't know how anyone can stand living that way! And they're just begging for some chronic illness to strike them down, it's practically guaranteed.
Old 05-12-20, 08:03 AM
tlema

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hit the gym...its a gradual process,you will scale through.
Likes For tlema:
Old 05-12-20, 09:38 AM
MadKaw

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Course, 1993 Trek 8000, 2016 Diamondback Haanjo Comp, 2018 Marin B-17, 2018 Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
My goal is to not get dropped by the group or at least not feel awful when they stop to wait for me. I'd like to be able to do 60=80 mile rides at a fast enough pace to stay reasonably close without feeling like crap later. I was actually getting there before the shutdown of all group rides happened. I did 100 group rides for years and even more after I retired. Been solo for weeks now.
I understand totally, but a wise man said this to me: "Whenever you think 'I have to do this', replace those words with 'I want to do this' and whenever you think 'I want to do this' replace those words with 'it would be nice if...'"
So I just avoid the mind set of having goals as things I need to do and just go with the flow surrounded by things that would be nice if they happen. That does NOT mean that it is not worth investing the time and effort to improve the probability of those things happening, just realizing that you can't MAKE them happen.
Old 05-12-20, 10:55 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
That's been my goal ever since I discovered the group with whom I've been riding since '97. Some racers say the only reason they race is so they'll have to train. Just the same. Competitive group rides aren't races but they are competitive. I never minded about feeling like crap later. That's the whole idea. Gotta empty out to make a larger place to refill. I always say, "If you can walk at the end, you could have gone harder." My group doesn't stop and wait. You keep up or see you at the coffee stop or finish. I've led rides with 20 people and had 3 still with me at the finish.

Eventually I had trouble staying with the fast group no matter how I trained, so I decided to get out of that game. We bought a tandem and I started riding with my wife - same group, same courses, but we mostly came in last. Then we started being able to stay with the slower riders. That's where we are now. Because of the better training provided by the tandem, I can keep up with the fast group on my single again, but I seldom bother. We like tandeming a lot.

During this shutdown, the group is still riding, just separately and posting ride reports. That's fun. It's good to know what's open, what's closed, where the "Covid Alleys" are. We still ride our tandem as hard as we ever did. We have been slower this year though. Hard to know if it's just another year weaker or lack of motivation. Coming along though. We're doing 60 miles, 2000'+, but we won't be strong enough to do the 70 mile, 5000' ride that we used to do on Memorial Day. I could do it on my single, but that's not the point now. It's become a team effort.

Edit: It occurred to me that what's happened is that the group has gotten wussy with age. We used to go out every Sunday no matter the weather as long as it wasn't icy. This past winter and spring we didn't ride in the rain. I think that made a big difference. I have a photo of the wife and I going out in graupel. We did a 70 mile ride when it absolutely poured the entire ride and held a steady 36°. We decided we wouldn't do that again. No more rain rides under 40°!

I once took a winter off. Had some mental malaise or something, I don't remember. I do remember trying to pick it back up in the spring. Took me until August to ride strong again, and I took an Never Again vow.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 05-12-20 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-12-20, 02:18 PM
big john

I understand totally, but a wise man said this to me: "Whenever you think 'I have to do this', replace those words with 'I want to do this' and whenever you think 'I want to do this' replace those words with 'it would be nice if...'"
So I just avoid the mind set of having goals as things I need to do and just go with the flow surrounded by things that would be nice if they happen. That does NOT mean that it is not worth investing the time and effort to improve the probability of those things happening, just realizing that you can't MAKE them happen.
Maybe the word "goal" was the wrong choice here. I don't often use that word with regard to anything, I'm a natural born slacker. School, work, riding, I normally do enough to get by and leave it at that.
The problem with riding is when I want to ride with friends who are faster, younger, lighter, and train and watch their diet, getting by becomes more of a challenge.

When I was younger as long as I could get 10+ hours per week, I could do any ride my club was doing. I may have suffered sometimes but I ALWAYS finished.
Now I can't make the claim of being ready for anything and that is what I would like to be able to do.
Old 05-12-20, 02:26 PM
MadKaw

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Course, 1993 Trek 8000, 2016 Diamondback Haanjo Comp, 2018 Marin B-17, 2018 Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Maybe the word "goal" was the wrong choice here. I don't often use that word with regard to anything, I'm a natural born slacker. School, work, riding, I normally do enough to get by and leave it at that.
The problem with riding is when I want to ride with friends who are faster, younger, lighter, and train and watch their diet, getting by becomes more of a challenge.

When I was younger as long as I could get 10+ hours per week, I could do any ride my club was doing. I may have suffered sometimes but I ALWAYS finished.
Now I can't make the claim of being ready for anything and that is what I would like to be able to do.
So go hang out at physical therapy and make friends with people with bad knees!
Likes For MadKaw:
Old 05-12-20, 02:33 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
That's been my goal ever since I discovered the group with whom I've been riding since '97. Some racers say the only reason they race is so they'll have to train. Just the same. Competitive group rides aren't races but they are competitive. I never minded about feeling like crap later. That's the whole idea.
I started with my road club in 1989. A lot of people have come and gone during those 31 years and the personality of the "A" group changes too. Different Alpha types have come along and I usually befriend all of the regulars eventually. The last couple years have seen more super competitive riders coming out and trying to drop everyone on every ride. When the ride blows up like that it's no longer a group ride and it's no longer fun for the dropees. I have considered quitting the club several times but several people have asked the speedsters to cool it a bit, at least have regroups.

As far as feeling like crap later, I wasn't referring to being tired or even exhausted. It got to the point where I had a-fib symptoms and sometimes felt really bad, like I was sick or hurting myself. Haven't had that issue in a couple years.
Old 05-12-20, 02:39 PM
big john

So go hang out at physical therapy and make friends with people with bad knees!
Funny thing, I wanted to switch to the "B" group but they stopped coming out, for the most part.

I did find another club in the area several months ago and their rides are focused on fun. Sure, some of them are fast but they always regroup. The woman who started that club said if anyone tries to blow up the rides she asks them not to come back. Still have friends in the other club, though.
Old 05-12-20, 02:55 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Did twenty miles today, at 11.5 MPH. Felt really good, after a two day layoff. Felt so good, that I should have gone farther. My buddy, Jim, said the same........ we will have to see what tomorrow and Thursday bring, with temps in the upper 60s, and 70s.

We may get there yet - I gotta find a flag for Memorial Day......
Likes For Wanderer:
Old 05-12-20, 02:58 PM
JustinOldPhart
Junior Samples

Bikes: '74 Eisentraut, '94 Univega Alpina Pro, KLR650, R1200RT

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 27 Posts
I started riding real bikes as a pre-teen and was always fairly serious rider.

I commuted to work for 25 years, retiring in 2011. After retiring I would take the road bike out three times a week for a fairly flat metric.

In '86 I tore my meniscus (not by cycling) and had arthroscopic surgery. Commuting helped with the post-surgical meniscus issue for a long time, but it caught up with me. I hung up the bike three years ago and started step aerobics. Mid-2019 I had to start wearing a heavy brace to do even that. Finally, in late December, I had the knee replaced. I was in PT for two months prior to the surgery and have been in PT ever since. I'm now stronger than I have been in a very long time.

I'm back on the bike and taking daily 25km rides. I will get back up to a couple of metrics a week. Damn it, I will! Today I did my first really substantial grade. The last time I did it, three years ago, I had to walk it. Well, hobble it.

I have even reworked my mountain bike and hope to get out on some trails.

The message is this: If you have something that is mechanically screwed up, it is not going to get better. Fix the damn thing. Don't put it off; you're wasting life. PT is hard, do it. It's going to knock a big hole in your life for six months or more, but the rewards are there.

My right knee issue was due to mechanical damage that resulted in an arthritic condition. It turns out that I also have RA and am taking methotrexate for it. My left knee makes noise when I walk, but it is still good. The day will come, though, and I won't hesitate to replace it and go through all this **** again.

Newton was right, a body in motion tends to stay in motion.
Likes For JustinOldPhart:
Old 05-12-20, 03:14 PM
big john

Another comeback! Good job JustinOldPhart.
Old 05-13-20, 09:11 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
No. My job is very physical year-round, but I definitely don't use the same muscles as I use for cycling.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 05-13-20, 07:48 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Got twenty miles in again today. A nice day, but that last ten miles into that wind was, interesting.... Jim and I both agreed that we should get credit for an additional five, after that.

The river looked like it was flowing the wrong direction, with the waves heading north. And, the whitecaps were beautiful. Damn it was windy! Only averaged about 10 MPH thanks to the wind.

Lots of people out on the trails today, walking and on bikes. Lots of E bikes, and I gotta wonder why?
Likes For Wanderer:
Old 05-15-20, 08:18 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Maelochs
My question is, what are we going to learn from all this?
Nothing.
Old 05-15-20, 10:23 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,465 Posts
Once again gentlemen, if you want to discuss Covid19 topics we have an entire sub-forum devoted to same, in which you can discuss from all angles til the cows come home. Please.

Thanky.
Old 05-15-20, 11:13 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

I gotta admit, I am glad it was rainy all day yesterday - but going out in about an hour today......
Likes For Wanderer:
Old 05-16-20, 05:12 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

We did 20 miles yesterday, and not a bad day, though a little cool.

Beautiful day today! We got about 25 miles, in just short of 2.5 hours. Nice ride!

The MUPs were really crowded today -lots and lots of people out.

Supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow, so it shall be a day of rest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.