Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ali Express Bibs

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Ali Express Bibs

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-20, 01:31 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Ali Express Bibs

Has anyone ever bought from them? How can they sell them so cheap?
Old 05-24-20, 05:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I've bought computer stuff from Ali Express. It's slightly similar to Amazon and others sites which just let people throw up store fronts. Of course it's the overseas version so most stuff you are the importer of record and it's your responsibility to pay any duty and such. Which is part of the reason some of the stuff is much cheaper than the same item purchased here. Importers bringing it in for resale have some fees they have to pay that the prices don't reflect.

Much of it you won't have fees or tariffs because of the small amount you are buying and certain stuff is completely exempt. But there are some gotcha's. I have noticed recently some items say they ship from the US, so in that case, there won't be any import fees because whomever brought that stuff here is responsible. Assuming you are in the US of course.

Let us know how they do.
Old 05-25-20, 10:30 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
I have just to see what they're like, a matching kit. Not worth it.
Old 05-26-20, 03:52 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Am I correct in assuming Mavic Bibs for $10 to $30 are counterfeit?

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 05-26-20 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-28-20, 07:55 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
1) you have NO recourse if any problem(s)
2) shipping from China post Covid is almost certainly boat, hence 2-4 week minimum
3)big assumptions as to fabric and bike rider friendly construction methods and longevity
(there is a reason why we rely on name brands for cycle clothes)
4) as per CAT7, any branding is counterfeit by definition
5) from 1-4, for me any upper body stuff might be acceptable, crotchwear..... dubious,
those seams in the wrong place will drive you nuts after 25 miles
Old 05-31-20, 12:52 AM
OldBrokeReCycle

Bikes: 1980 Trek 510 owned since '81 BLINGED; 20?? Speicialized Secteur; 201? Trek Excalibre Bafung coverted; 20?? Surly Cross-Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I bought some $9 Falconi brand jerseys from a US importer a year or so ago. They were fine, not perfect, but the zippers work and back pockets held up. Tried some of the bibs and they were beyond horrible; sewing, design, fit. But they were worth a shot at $12.
I do miss pre-vulture capitalist nashbar, performance bike, and even rei outlet from 10 years ago, when I got most of my kit. If I kept my eye out, I could often get steeply discounted, good quality bibs, pants, and jackets, especially during the off-season (winter stuff in summer for ex). Now, getting 20% off $100 kit is about all I see. Are there any good outlet sites left?
Old 06-01-20, 05:22 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by OldBrokeReCycle
I bought some $9 Falconi brand jerseys from a US importer a year or so ago. They were fine, not perfect, but the zippers work and back pockets held up. Tried some of the bibs and they were beyond horrible; sewing, design, fit. But they were worth a shot at $12.
I do miss pre-vulture capitalist nashbar, performance bike, and even rei outlet from 10 years ago, when I got most of my kit. If I kept my eye out, I could often get steeply discounted, good quality bibs, pants, and jackets, especially during the off-season (winter stuff in summer for ex). Now, getting 20% off $100 kit is about all I see. Are there any good outlet sites left?
I was able to score a POC Enduro L/S Jersey off Backcountry.com for 50% off. What I find on most steeply discounted items is limited supply in XS or S sizes. This jersey was an XL.
Old 06-01-20, 06:26 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I buy stuff from aliexpress from time to time, and bought a Ralpha jersey and bibs once. I actually thought it was worth the thirty-two bucks and wear them occasionally, and by that I mean twice.
Old 06-01-20, 03:57 PM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
I've bought these: Took forever and a day to get here but I didnt need them urgently. Sizing is a bit odd but I used their measurements and they fit okay - a tad tight, which I prefer to loose anyway.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-New-Te...torefresh=true

Decent enough for the price, at least such that I use them on my indoor trainer rides. I'd consider them for an outdoor ride if I ran out of Pearl shorts. I've washed them several times and they haven't fallen apart yet.
Old 06-06-20, 11:17 PM
frizzen

Bikes: 1955 Hercules Royal Prince Fixed Gear

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
1) you have NO recourse if any problem(s)
2) shipping from China post Covid is almost certainly boat, hence 2-4 week minimum
3)big assumptions as to fabric and bike rider friendly construction methods and longevity
(there is a reason why we rely on name brands for cycle clothes)
4) as per CAT7, any branding is counterfeit by definition
5) from 1-4, for me any upper body stuff might be acceptable, crotchwear..... dubious,
those seams in the wrong place will drive you nuts after 25 miles
1) aliexpress steps in pretty quick if I open a dispute. They have always refunded my purchase price.

2) shipping is always 2-4 weeks, with covid19 it can be 8 or more.

3) they take great liberties with product descriptions. polyester / nylon what's the difference?

4) I don't buy products that aren't Chinese branded, so no problems with counterfeits.
Old 06-06-20, 11:23 PM
frizzen

Bikes: 1955 Hercules Royal Prince Fixed Gear

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Has anyone ever bought from them? How can they sell them so cheap?
The USA signed a treaty in 1969, that subsidizes shipping from China. They were a poor developing country so we agreed to accept shipments for virtually nothing and the US post office carries the cost of delivery. This has allowed an entire industry to flourish. Trump was talking about shutting it down, but nothing yet. They also skip paying any import duties. Also, consider than anything purchased in the USA costs twice what it should because of all the taxes along the way. We can't murder millions of people in all of our wars for free. Traveling in Asia is really fun, most things are really cheap.