Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Not Riding Today

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-20, 11:58 AM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Not Riding Today

Here in the SF Bat Area (east bay) the paths have been jammed. And not much fun. I don’t really mind the little kids but throw in some parents and it’s too much. Then add some TDF wannabees who just rediscovered that jersey in the back of the closet and it’s downright dangerous. I rode Saturday and nearly got hit. Yesterday I drove to the pool store for some bags of salt. This morning I drove to the grocery for milk. The bike traffic was just too much. Bunches of cyclists at every intersection seemed like they were not sure where they were going. And those two woman who rode along my street taking the lane and chattering away. I suspect those will be the ones speeding to pick up the kids from school and barely missing me as soon as school opens up.

I guess today I’ll sit in the shade and watch the salt dissolve. Sigh.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 05-25-20, 01:09 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
Here in the SF Bat Area (east bay) the paths have been jammed. And not much fun. I don’t really mind the little kids but throw in some parents and it’s too much. Then add some TDF wannabees who just rediscovered that jersey in the back of the closet and it’s downright dangerous. I rode Saturday and nearly got hit. Yesterday I drove to the pool store for some bags of salt. This morning I drove to the grocery for milk. The bike traffic was just too much. Bunches of cyclists at every intersection seemed like they were not sure where they were going. And those two woman who rode along my street taking the lane and chattering away. I suspect those will be the ones speeding to pick up the kids from school and barely missing me as soon as school opens up.

hear ya man. Hanging out by the pool sounds rough
Old 05-25-20, 01:54 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider

We have an extensive local train network that I ride as often as I can, but since I'm retired I ride during the week and avoid weekends or holidays to avoid as much of the crowd as possible. But with people at home during this virus situation I think every bike in the area is being used, from 12" kids bikes up through the TDF wannabees, plus dogs, walkers, joggers, etc. The trails become an obstacle course - BUT I'm not complaining! They have every right to the trails, they need to get out of the house to get some exercise and the kids are probably bouncing off the walls. It is actually a good thing - but the heavy usage can make it a bit frustrating - so I ride during the week, and try to ride sanely in the traffic. I just wish the TDF boys would tone it down a bit . . . .
Old 05-25-20, 02:55 PM
kobike86

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a curfew for 4 days therefore no riding
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Damn people.........
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I'm strictly on the roads now, the paths are too jammed. Around here, the dogs are worse than the bicyclists, though.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-25-20, 02:58 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
I think I'll hit my favorite MUP on a weekday. Either that or go out at about 10:00 p.m. when I can have the road mostly to myself (and use up some of the lighting equipment I've bought). People scare me these days, and I want to avoid them.
Old 05-25-20, 03:01 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
and why don't you ride on the street? or were you hoping that people would stay at home so that you could enjoy the trails all to yourself?
Old 05-25-20, 03:07 PM
Hobbit712

Bikes: Gaint Rapid 2, Jamis Dragonslayer Pro, Raleigh C40

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
I tried riding today but didnt get very far. About a mile out I see a wall of rain coming at me. Turned around and tried to beat the rain home. No such luck.

Got home soaked. Dried off a bit and jumped on the recumbent stationary and got 45 minutes in. Just needed the exercise.

Hopefully going to make it back out tomorrow on the mountain bike. We will have to see how that goes. I crashed about 10 days ago and bruised the ribs. Still a little tender though.
Old 05-25-20, 05:30 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
MUP today

Contra Costa Canal Trail was pretty empty today. Sounds like you didn’t get out early enough.
if I’m out by 7:30AM it’s good, even on weekends.

Barry
Old 05-25-20, 05:34 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm strictly on the roads now, the paths are too jammed. Around here, the dogs are worse than the bicyclists, though.
Ditto, except at night,
Old 05-25-20, 08:12 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I acknowledge that the MUPs are there for everyone to enjoy.

Having said that my local MUP is one of the larger ones and we are about 100 west of NYC. So we get 'em in droves. There are bicycle rental businesses and other attractions so it is crowded. Given that it is so long the trail is generally crowded in the 3 or so miles near each trail head and some of the trail heads are spaced out quite a bit.

I think that the thing that bugs me the most is not so much the trail traffic but rather it is when they dismount and climb all over the place, in particular the waterfalls and venture into the space between the trail and the river. Both are dangerous, the falls because it is slippery and not designed for the clueless to climb, the space between the trail and the river due to it's steep bank and the presence of snakes and deer ticks.

I rode the trail on Sunday. I knew it would be crowded and it was. My schedule didn't allow me to use it on Friday, which isn't too bad, but I'm only using the trail if no other good choice is available until after labor day.
Old 05-25-20, 10:40 PM
Joe Bikerider

Originally Posted by Barry2
Contra Costa Canal Trail was pretty empty today. Sounds like you didn’t get out early enough.
if I’m out by 7:30AM it’s good, even on weekends.
Barry
I’ll certainly try adjusting my timing. In fact I had been starting later and that was pretty good as far as little kid traffic is concerned. I was hoping the little darlings were settling down for their nap after lunch and that seemed to work. Then this past Saturday everybody
was on the trail. Yikes! I used the bike holiday To get the pool filter all tuned up, chemicals balanced, the water clean and we had a great time doing that pool hangout thing this afternoon. There is a reason I live in California.
Old 05-26-20, 06:23 AM
BNSF

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Here in the west suburbs of Chicago, we're fortunate to have two parallelling paths; one which goes through the downtown of every suburb and has about 100 road crossings, and a second one which is MUCH less busy, much more rural and with just a fraction of the road crossings. It is nice to have the choice.
Old 05-26-20, 09:47 AM
GeneO 

Originally Posted by BNSF
Here in the west suburbs of Chicago, we're fortunate to have two parallelling paths; one which goes through the downtown of every suburb and has about 100 road crossings, and a second one which is MUCH less busy, much more rural and with just a fraction of the road crossings. It is nice to have the choice.
Prairie path. Miss it.
Old 05-26-20, 10:14 AM
BNSF

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
Prairie path. Miss it.
Yep, and the Great Western Trail. Not as close for me, but MUCH less busy. Even the "busy" sections through Lombard and Villa Park see but a fraction of the traffic the Prairie Path does. Best part is, its possible to make a loop - ride out on one path, ride back on the other.
Old 05-26-20, 11:02 AM
GeneO 

Originally Posted by BNSF
Yep, and the Great Western Trail. Not as close for me, but MUCH less busy. Even the "busy" sections through Lombard and Villa Park see but a fraction of the traffic the Prairie Path does. Best part is, its possible to make a loop - ride out on one path, ride back on the other.
I used to live there - moved last year. A prairie path trail-head was a quarter of a mile from my house. I not only used the paths for pleasure and long rides, but also to commute to work. I have hundreds of miles of interconnected paved paths where I live now, but they are to busy so I ride them only at night now.
Cheers
Old 05-26-20, 12:33 PM
thekidshredder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't ride which sucks so as a result I was surfing youtube and found a pretty cool video of kids getting free mtb stuff. Since I am new I can't post URL's but their channel name is RiGHTEOUS MTB. I have no idea why the i is not in caps but whatever. Their video is like free mtb stuff or something along the lines of that.
- Cheers
Old 05-26-20, 12:51 PM
Joe Bikerider

Went out today and it was pretty nice. Starting out I stayed on local streets most of the way. Then got on the IHT to cross the bridge at Treat. Then dropped off a book "The Maltese Falcon" at the Little Library along the Iron Horse Trail just north of the Pleasant Hill BART station. It's my personal rule to drop off books at a different place than I picked them up. This library seems to have quite a lot of turnover. Definitely a good one. Circled around across 680 and up Oak Park blvd. Then through those neighborhoods and south back to home. Very nice ride but getting hot at the end. Hope you all had a nice ride too.