Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need help understanding features/adaptability of a Pike suspension fork

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-20, 09:18 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts

I need some assistance understanding the adjustability of the Rock Shox Pike Select+ fork that comes on this bike.
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...boost29-ti.htm

The detailed fork specs listed on the website are as follows: "ROCKSHOX Pike Select Plus-B4, 29, CHARGER 2, BOOST™ 15X110 MXL ULTIMATE, DEBONAIR, 51 OFFSET, TAPERED steerer: ALLOY (1.5" to 1-1/8" tapered ) CROWN:Forged, hollow 7050 aluminum, STANCHION: 35mm tapered wall aluminum , BLADE: Magnesium, 180mm post disc mount, TRAVEL:130mm W/Extl rebnd, low speed comp ( Up to 27.5" PLUS 3.0" TIRE )"

I am looking to replace my old hardtail (an older Motobecane ti 29er) with this newer one. The stock travel setting on this model is 130mm, however I would like understand if and to what extent the travel on this fork can be modified. If possible I would like to lower the travel on this fork to 120mm or less to achieve the geometry that I am after.

Although I am a very adept home bicycle mechanic, I don't know much about modern MTB suspension systems (or terminology) but would like to learn. I did some looking around on the internet and could not find a jargon-free explanation. It appears this fork is adjusted by adding/removing "bottomless" tokens I am not sure exactly what these do. Do they add/remove travel, or do they modify the behavior of the suspension?

Is there someone out there who might be able explain this for me and what my options are for this fork?

Thanks
Old 05-26-20, 09:43 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Tokens change the volume of the air spring and change how progressive it is—more tokens is more progressive. Basically you want the fork set with air pressure for appropriate sag, and if you're bottoming out too much you add tokens, or if you're not using all your travel you remove them.

The travel length on those forks is adjusted by replacing the air spring assembly. It's a $40-50 part and needs to be the right part number for your exact model year of fork. To replace it you need to be able to drop the lowers off the fork—if you've never done suspension service you may want to bring it to the shop.

For a 2018+ Pike, the air spring for 120mm is part number 00.4020.552.004 . The relevent service manual is https://www.servicearchive.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/gen.0000000005734_rev_b_service_manual_debonair_upgrade_kit_0.pdf

Last edited by cpach; 05-26-20 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-26-20, 11:04 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
Tokens change the volume of the air spring and change how progressive it is—more tokens is more progressive. Basically you want the fork set with air pressure for appropriate sag, and if you're bottoming out too much you add tokens, or if you're not using all your travel you remove them.

The travel length on those forks is adjusted by replacing the air spring assembly. It's a $40-50 part and needs to be the right part number for your exact model year of fork. To replace it you need to be able to drop the lowers off the fork—if you've never done suspension service you may want to bring it to the shop.

For a 2018+ Pike, the air spring for 120mm is part number 00.4020.552.004 . The relevent service manual is https://www.servicearchive.sram.com/...rade_kit_0.pdf
Thank you...I could not have hoped for a more helpful response.