Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wheel set suggestions

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wheel set suggestions

Old 05-26-20, 01:59 PM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
Wheel set suggestions

Hey guys

Going to be buying a frame this winter and build up. Going to go with a Habanero Cycles Ti frame. Mostly because threaded bottom bracket, good tire clearance, disc brakes mounts, and Ti.

Either way, I am planning on full 11 speed 105 hydraulic disc. Any suggestions for wheel set? Not worried about hubs not being 105 something as compatible with that cassette. Price is a consideration as I am a blue collar working Joe. Probably the $500 - $600 range at the top end. Aluminum rims are fine, probably going to be somewhere in the 28 - 32c range for tires, and have zero opinion either way on tubeless. Having the rims tubeless ready is a bonus for future options though.

Also, their frames use the 68mm English standard for the bottom bracket. What do I need to look for in bottom brackets to make with the 105 crank arms? Suggestions welcome here as well.
Old 05-26-20, 02:30 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Shimano Ultegra BSA bottom bracket is only like $24 or so, and Dura Ace is only like five bucks more. I have no clue what would actually be better about the Dura Ace BB, other than 12 grams of weight and you get to imagine there's some coolness in having a bit of Dura Ace on your bike for only five bucks.

You can get a set of 30mm wide by 50mm deep Light-Bicycle carbon wheels with DT Swiss 350 hubs for under $700 from their North America outlet. That's slightly above your mentioned $500-600 range but just barely, and with this bike it sounds like you're treating yourself. These would be great wheels for your 28-32mm tires.
Old 05-26-20, 02:59 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Melvang
Hey guys

Going to be buying a frame this winter and build up. Going to go with a Habanero Cycles Ti frame. Mostly because threaded bottom bracket, good tire clearance, disc brakes mounts, and Ti.

Either way, I am planning on full 11 speed 105 hydraulic disc. Any suggestions for wheel set? Not worried about hubs not being 105 something as compatible with that cassette. Price is a consideration as I am a blue collar working Joe. Probably the $500 - $600 range at the top end. Aluminum rims are fine, probably going to be somewhere in the 28 - 32c range for tires, and have zero opinion either way on tubeless. Having the rims tubeless ready is a bonus for future options though.

Also, their frames use the 68mm English standard for the bottom bracket. What do I need to look for in bottom brackets to make with the 105 crank arms? Suggestions welcome here as well.
You should consider Mavic Kysirium Elite USTs. Tubeless and easy to use. I went to them a year ago. They are lighter, roll faster, and are more comfortable. Price of the set w/tires was under $500. Have not had a flat.
Old 05-26-20, 03:16 PM
Melvang

Originally Posted by SethAZ
Shimano Ultegra BSA bottom bracket is only like $24 or so, and Dura Ace is only like five bucks more. I have no clue what would actually be better about the Dura Ace BB, other than 12 grams of weight and you get to imagine there's some coolness in having a bit of Dura Ace on your bike for only five bucks.

You can get a set of 30mm wide by 50mm deep Light-Bicycle carbon wheels with DT Swiss 350 hubs for under $700 from their North America outlet. That's slightly above your mentioned $500-600 range but just barely, and with this bike it sounds like you're treating yourself. These would be great wheels for your 28-32mm tires.

Those sure are some smexy wheels. Might just have to save a few more pennies for those.

But this is a half treat to tide myself over until I can scrounge the pennies for a Cattrike 700. Though, this build might delay that purchase. If so, I might just hold off on the performance recumbent trike to get a Bachetta CT2.0. Claim the lightest recumbent trike at 27 pounds fully assembled.
Old 05-26-20, 03:17 PM
Melvang

Originally Posted by bruce19
You should consider Mavic Kysirium Elite USTs. Tubeless and easy to use. I went to them a year ago. They are lighter, roll faster, and are more comfortable. Price of the set w/tires was under $500. Have not had a flat.
My only issue with Mavic is the issues with them as some tires. Though that could be as much the tires.
Old 05-26-20, 03:43 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
If you're just looking for cheap and solid, Shimano's WH-500 wheelset is pretty hard to beat. 1650g, tubeless ready and less than $300. Shimano's cup-and-cone setup is easy to maintain.

The only downside is the rims are a bit narrow, I think 21mm? Shimano says they'll take up to 32s. I've ran 33mm CX tires on my Ultegra WH-6800 set without issues and I think it's the same wheel. They do fine with 28mm GP4000's as well (which are really closer to 32mm).

EDIT: These are rim brake wheels. I'm not sure if they have a similar version for disc or not, but would be worth investigating.

Last edited by msu2001la; 05-26-20 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-26-20, 07:48 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
+1 on the Shimanos.
I'm also happy with a pair of Fulcrum 5's. Pinned alloy rim though, but 18mm internal width and 1650g. MSRP $450, but you can find them for a lot cheaper.
Old 05-26-20, 08:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4324 Post(s)
Liked 3,946 Times in 2,639 Posts
I am getting a 26" Habenaro this week actually (should arrive for the weekend). Mark is a really nice dude. I hope the frame is what I am hoping it is because I am super excited.

For bottom brackets I am a big fan of Wheels Manufacturing. Good quality, Made in 'Merica with well known trusted Enduro bearings. I have a few of these and they are all excellent. If you are looking to save money completely get a Dura Ace BB which is still high end but cheaper than most decent aftermarket options.

For wheels I would get a set of wheels built on some White Industries hubs, Again good quality, Made in 'Merica but their own bearings. Yes a bit more expensive but well worth it, I haven't touched my wheels aside from putting different tires on it. Plus I like the Titanium freehub not because I love ti but because it is a strong durable material that isn't going to gouge and damage with a cassette and my plump rump.

I know for a while Rolf Prima was getting hub help from White Industries but I am unsure of the current relationship, I do know some stuff is no longer MUSA but they have a listing on their site and probably anything with the Ti freehub is with White.

Enjoy the bike and post some pics when you get it built. Certainly get what you want now, don't regret a purchase later, it ends up costing more in the end. I did that when I first got my touring bike and have spent more now to replace parts that I wanted in the first place.
Old 05-26-20, 09:13 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
For wheels I would get a set of wheels built on some White Industries hubs, Again good quality, Made in 'Merica but their own bearings. Yes a bit more expensive but well worth it, I haven't touched my wheels aside from putting different tires on it. Plus I like the Titanium freehub not because I love ti but because it is a strong durable material that isn't going to gouge and damage with a cassette and my plump rump.
Problem is the hubs bust his budget. I'm sitting on a new set of wheels with WI hubs waiting on a frame. Went WI due to being the only brand that does Campy and thru axle which was a big requirement but the finish and feel is really nice so far. But you'll still end up with a 1k wheelset with decent rims.

To the OP, Are you looking prebuilt or willing to assemble? You can get 105 hubs, thru axle disc for 100.00 the pair, I like the velocity Aileron rim which can be ordered through brands cycles for a steal at under 90.00 each, another 100 for spokes and nipples and 100-120 for assembly can be right at 500 for a nice wheelset.
Old 05-26-20, 09:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/pwb-...t-package.html
$440 for a quality tubeless rim, bitex hubs, double butted spokes, and brass nipples. The rim decals can be removed too.

Or design your own wheelset using the custom options. An H+son Hydra rim, bitex 12 hubs, sapim double butted spokrs, and brass nipples is another option and will cost about the same.

For both- you choose the spoke count and the hub dropout setup you want.
The wheels are handbuilt.
Old 05-27-20, 04:17 AM
bruce19

My only issue with Mavic is the issues with them as some tires. Though that could be as much the tires.
What are the issues and are they with tubeless? I've been running Yksion tires for over a year with no issues. Just wondering what I should be watching for.
Old 05-27-20, 02:15 PM
Melvang

Originally Posted by bruce19
What are the issues and are they with tubeless? I've been running Yksion tires for over a year with no issues. Just wondering what I should be watching for.
​​​​​​It isn't a tubeless issue. But some tires, I believe the 5000GP just refuse to go on. Apparently, mavic has come out and said those tires are not compatible with at least some of their rims.
Old 05-27-20, 02:25 PM
bruce19

​​​​​​It isn't a tubeless issue. But some tires, I believe the 5000GP just refuse to go on. Apparently, mavic has come out and said those tires are not compatible with at least some of their rims.
I went to Mavic because they developed their rims and tires as a system. The tolerances are fine and, as a result, their tires can be mounted and inflated easily. I just use a floor pump.