Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

2016 Goals

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-16, 12:24 PM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WhatsYoCadence
My goals are to beat MarkWW in a match sprint.
eh, it's not that hard to do.
Old 03-11-16, 01:28 PM
WhatsYoCadence
Annoying Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First day of riding the track this year I accomplished my goal for last year, which was a sub 13s f200. Now I'd like to get a sub 12 at T-Town for the end of the year.
Old 03-11-16, 02:29 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkWW
eh, it's not that hard to do.
That's easy for you to say. It's whole lot harder for the rest of us.
Old 03-11-16, 06:22 PM
TrackMonkey7

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nationals are the closest to me they'll be in perhaps many years so my goals are aimed at that. I'm still a cat 3 so my focus is on the timed events, rather than mass start.

Easy goals

Improve at the IP enough to have fun:
I consider myself much more a Cav than a Wiggo, so the IP is tough one for me to improve. I find it hard to gauge an effort for that amount of time rather than going full gas for a sprint lap then sitting up a bit over and over. Additionally, I'm not much of a breakaway artist, but I think that training specifically for the IP might make breaking away solo or a couple other guys less miserable.*

Improve at the other timed events enough to have fun:
I refuse to believe that I'd make even a mediocre track sprinter, so the more sprinty timed events I will plan on participating in purely for fun.

Lap the field at either Kissena or T-Town:
*I love it when the pros do it, for whom it is easier on a nice smooth, fast, climate controlled track, and if you just so happen to be at that level. I've seen it done at Kissena, and I just think it's BA. I feel that training for the IP would compliment this goal nicely and vice-versa.

Participate in the TP at Nationals:
I have a new team that is going to be competing mostly on the track. The other guys on my team look to be focusing on sprint events though, so I'm not sure how keen they'll be to race the TP.

Not so easy goal

Get a cat 2 upgrade (before Nationals):
I really want to bump shoulders in the mass start races, even if I only do so for a few minutes before getting spat out the back. I'm not holding my breath, though.
Old 03-11-16, 06:42 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by dunderhi
That's easy for you to say. It's whole lot harder for the rest of us.
well, to be fair, it's hard for Mark to do that too.
Old 03-12-16, 08:27 AM
Huskey
Great at turning left

Bikes: BT Stealth

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Huskey
1. Sub 12 200m - fastest recorded recently is 12.4 but I think I've gotten about 12.1/12.2 before

2. Sub 1:15 kilo - have no idea what I'm currently sitting on

3. Improve my standing starts more - always been pretty slow off the mark until recently, pretty good now. But very occasionally when on a bigger gear or fatigued I'll lose my line and then my momentum trying to correct myself

4. Squat 150kg - Currently at 120kg

5. Deadlift 180kg - Currently at 140kg

6. Attend state championships - Was planning to this year but I had a fair bit of time off work with other things, so it was hard to justify taking the better part of a week off when I don't get paid holidays

4 and 5 are for my own satisfaction as I enjoy lifting weights, it's not me thinking my 1RM will affect my track performance
So just had our club championships this weekend (is now end of our track season), And I pulled a 1.19 for the Kilo and a 12.3 for the 200. Pretty pleased with the Kilo as it was with close to no training for it and without tt bars, managed to get a gold in B grade for it. Pretty disappointed with my 200 time though, I recorded a 12.1 in training a month or two ago. I didn't go as big a gear as I normally would have, to try be on the safe side as I hadn't had the gear that high in a month due to poor preparation. Still got gold in B grade for it though (they didn't do sprints after just the 200s), also got gold in the Keirin.

Standing starts have improved a lot now i'm starting to drive with my hips more and able to get move momentum quicker. I've videoing my starts and reviewing them after, when on the bike I feel like im moving around as much as I need to but then on the footage I can see i'm holding back. Just took a bit of time exaggerating my movements to get it right.

Squat and Deadlift have been neglected lately, stopped doing gym almost completely in the build up to the championships plus I've been busy helping coach the young juniors and slower/less experienced adults at the club training sessions. But now I'm focusing on strength work for the next few months I'll be spending a fair bit of time lifting heavy things.

Still planning on attending state champs this year, started saving up for it and my training through this off season will be in preparation for it.
Old 03-12-16, 03:27 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TrackMonkey7
Nationals are the closest to me they'll be in perhaps many years so my goals are aimed at that. I'm still a cat 3 so my focus is on the timed events, rather than mass start.

Easy goals

Improve at the IP enough to have fun:
I consider myself much more a Cav than a Wiggo, so the IP is tough one for me to improve. I find it hard to gauge an effort for that amount of time rather than going full gas for a sprint lap then sitting up a bit over and over. Additionally, I'm not much of a breakaway artist, but I think that training specifically for the IP might make breaking away solo or a couple other guys less miserable.*

<snip>
*I love it when the pros do it, for whom it is easier on a nice smooth, fast, climate controlled track, and if you just so happen to be at that level. I've seen it done at Kissena, and I just think it's BA. I feel that training for the IP would compliment this goal nicely and vice-versa.
great goals!

a few notes that may or may not be helpful - it's worth what you are paying for it

1) depending on what your time goals are, training for IP and TP can actually be quite different.
This has a ton to do w/ your team's make-up and what position you think you'll have on the TP. Most obvious example, if you are going to be your team's 'gate-man', your efforts will most likely not be anywhere near 4k, and your power outputs will not even look close to an IP effort with regard to duration/intensity.

2) The IP is a (generally) maximal effort for +/-4':30", this puts you completely in the aerobic category, and in a perfect world your power plot will look like:

/
/ \
/ ----------------------------- *standing awkwardly on a tall box in slippery cleats while still in an O2 daze*
/

a TP power plot is crazy different than that.
|
/ \ | | | /
/ \ / \ / \ / \ / |
/ \ ---- ----- ----- ------ |
/ |
/ **standing awkwardly on a tall box in slippery cleats while still in an O2 daze**

it's a flat out fact that "pursuiting makes you better at pursuiting" -
but one is trying to be as stable as possible, while the other is about 5x maximal intervals and then trying to not run your tyre into the rear wheel of the dude in front of you as you breathe through your eyeballs and try to "recover" at +/-35mph, while going around an odd shape that wants to spit you uphill every 80 meters.

So, the better you get, the better you are (not rocket science)
but depending on the specificity of your goals, it's worth thinking about parsing your training for how you are going to target IP vs TP vs mass-start?

The difference between pulling in a TP and doing an IP is likely going to be +90 watts. (this has a lot to do with whose glutes you are following in the TP). Dunno about you, but a delta of 90w, smoothly and repeatedly, is a big deal to me.

any IP practice you do will help quite a bit w/ breakaways -
any TP practice you do will help a TON w/ breakaways.

something that your friends will 100% thank you for - being able to change your power on the track bike suuuuper smoothly. It's worth a non-imaginary bunch of seconds if your team can keep the power spikes smoothed out during each lead-dude transition.

sounds like a fun season! Tear it up!

edit: seems my highly scientific graph didn't translate well in the text editor, here's a screenshot:
Attached Images
Old 03-12-16, 10:41 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
I had no idea.

That's one of the best posts I've seen on here in years. Thanks!
Old 03-13-16, 12:26 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
That was spot on, revealing the obvious that no one clues into, and well explained. This made a lot of sense to me as I was always willing to give the TP a go, but hated the IP. I even found TP fun?

As a gate man, and the guy who gets to peel off, I think I would have been the ideal teammate to draft. Ass and torso like a truck!
Old 03-13-16, 11:59 AM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
That was spot on, revealing the obvious that no one clues into, and well explained. This made a lot of sense to me as I was always willing to give the TP a go, but hated the IP. I even found TP fun?

As a gate man, and the guy who gets to peel off, I think I would have been the ideal teammate to draft. Ass and torso like a truck!
thanks gents -

now that I'm well and truly out of the game, I'm quite a bit more open to talking about some of the inner workings of stuff like that.
Old 03-14-16, 02:07 PM
Banchad

Bikes: Planet X Pro Carbon, Dolan FXE, Fuji Transonic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My goals for this year now that I know that my local track will be running the track league are:

Podium in a scratch race
Podium in a Kilo(If they run)
Do ok in a match sprint(again if they run)
160kg x 5 squats
190kg x 5 deadlift
Old 03-15-16, 06:36 AM
MrMinty

Bikes: Cannondale Caad8, Claud Butler Roubaix, Raleigh Equipe

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrackMonkey7

Easy goals

Lapping the field would be so hard on a 400m velodrome. I'd say exponentially harder than a 250m. I was thinking about this last night. I was thinking about this last night and I'm sure that someone can do the maths on it. I.e if rider A was doing 40kmh average and rider B was doing say 30kmh avg, how many laps would it take for rider A to lap on a 400m and a 250m velodrome. Each lap, he would make some ground into the difference, until eventually he made up the full distance between the 2
Old 03-15-16, 07:11 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by MrMinty
Lapping the field would be so hard on a 400m velodrome. I'd say exponentially harder than a 250m. I was thinking about this last night. I was thinking about this last night and I'm sure that someone can do the maths on it. I.e if rider A was doing 40kmh average and rider B was doing say 30kmh avg, how many laps would it take for rider A to lap on a 400m and a 250m velodrome. Each lap, he would make some ground into the difference, until eventually he made up the full distance between the 2
Basically, if:

Rider A = 40km/h
Rider B = 30km/h

How long will it take Rider A to go 400m further than Rider B

Well, the easy way is to say that, Rider A is traveling at 10km/h faster than Rider B. If Rider B is traveling at 0km/h, how long will it take Rider A to travel 400M at 10km/h?

At +10km/h it will take the breakaway rider the following amounts of time to lap a field:

166M: 60s
200M: 72s
250M: 90s
333M: 120s
400M: 144s (ouch)
Old 03-15-16, 09:29 AM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrMinty
Lapping the field would be so hard on a 400m velodrome. I'd say exponentially harder than a 250m.
you aren't wrong -
and that's also the only track length I've managed to pull it off on, even being someone whose tactics tended to be lapping sorts of things (my home track was 400m, so many more opportunities)

It was a couple weeks after my SRM battery died - so no files, but it was a state championship points race near the end of the season- so those with legs pretty much knew when/where/how the winning move would go down.

50 laps on a 400 is a long time - lapping happens.
Old 03-15-16, 10:18 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
you aren't wrong -
and that's also the only track length I've managed to pull it off on, even being someone whose tactics tended to be lapping sorts of things (my home track was 400m, so many more opportunities)

It was a couple weeks after my SRM battery died - so no files, but it was a state championship points race near the end of the season- so those with legs pretty much knew when/where/how the winning move would go down.

50 laps on a 400 is a long time - lapping happens.

I want to know if it took 144s or more
Old 03-15-16, 10:40 AM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I want to know if it took 144s or more
lots longer - LOTS.
the field also had the women's 1/2/3s - mostly 1&2s, w/ two Wpro in there - so the chase was pretty hot and they had a ton of engines.
It was of the three most memorable races of my life across all disciplines.
Old 03-15-16, 01:28 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
lots longer - LOTS.
the field also had the women's 1/2/3s - mostly 1&2s, w/ two Wpro in there - so the chase was pretty hot and they had a ton of engines.
It was of the three most memorable races of my life across all disciplines.
I can imagine. Elite women are fast as hell.
Old 03-16-16, 07:07 PM
skysurfer

Bikes: TI Sports/Fuji retired pro TT, Fuji track comp, Trek 660 since new.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Get out of category 4/D.

Not embarrass myself.
Old 07-04-16, 03:56 PM
1incpa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
We're well into the race season at T-Town, so I thought I'd update this with how I'm making out with my goals.

I was pretty consistent with my training through the winter. It did get tough riding the trainer after a couple of months, but I stuck it out. It was real nice when the weather broke and I could ride outdoors.

My initial goal was to start out with Saturday master's racing and then get into the Tuesday night cat 2-3 races. Well, I figured I'd jump right into the deep end and started my season with Tuesday nights and have been racing Tuesdays and Saturdays every week that there's racing. As for the not sucking part...I didn't realize how long it's been, but I last trained for racing for the 2007 season. I wouldn't say I suck right now, but I'm definitely not making the races happen. I am having fun and getting my track legs back.
At this point, I'm feeling a little bit better every week. I'll keep at it. I just keep thinking "wait until next year!"

Definitely no cat 2 upgrade for me this year. And I'm ok with that.

I've seen in the race reports thread that some of you are having good seasons; that's awesome! How's everyone else making out with their goals?

Paul
Old 08-13-16, 09:29 AM
jt_uk

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How are you peeps going to be training now that Autumn is on the horizon? Will you focus on strength for the next 6 months or is there anything in particular you will be doing?
Old 08-15-16, 06:25 AM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
I'm an endurance rider and I'll be focusing on repeatability and overall FTP until next year. At track nationals (masters) I pretty much figured out that my speed was as good or better than my competitors in my events, but I got taken apart in the points race by trying to cover to many of the aggressive moves. Honestly, I have to be able to be aggressive AND sprint, not one or the other. I'm debating whether to do any leg work in the weight room over the Winter, I haven't decided if it's that important for me on a time - effectiveness standpoint.
Old 08-15-16, 09:19 PM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WhatsYoCadence
My goals are to beat MarkWW in a match sprint.
Let it be known that WhatsYoCadence is now a cat 3, so I guess it's only a matter of time until he beats me. Maybe at states this weekend!
Old 08-18-16, 01:13 PM
SprintzNKiloz

Bikes: LOOK 675, Dolan DF4, Casati Gold Line, Litespeed Classic, Felt TR2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jt_uk
How are you peeps going to be training now that Autumn is on the horizon? Will you focus on strength for the next 6 months or is there anything in particular you will be doing?

I think my offseason is going to be long fixie rides to work on some endurance and then back in the weight room. All in all I rode a good match sprint at Master's Nationals, but a terrible kilo and I think it's my last lap that's killing me there. So endurance seems to be lacking.
Old 08-18-16, 02:10 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by SprintzNKiloz
I think my offseason is going to be long fixie rides to work on some endurance and then back in the weight room. All in all I rode a good match sprint at Master's Nationals, but a terrible kilo and I think it's my last lap that's killing me there. So endurance seems to be lacking.
Not sure how long you've been training, but from my point of view:

- Riding fixed gear as training doesn't do much of anything. Don't bother.
- The last lap kills everyone in the kilo. The key is to go into the last lap as fast as possible and hang on and stay aero. Focus on maintaining the speed you have. You aren't going to get any faster at that point.
Old 08-19-16, 06:06 AM
MrMinty

Bikes: Cannondale Caad8, Claud Butler Roubaix, Raleigh Equipe

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Banchad
I'm based near Manchester. Were you thinking of entering the track league at Huyton in Liverpool next year?
That was a disappointing "season" at Huyton! Did you make it to any of the races?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.