Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Road cyclist using so called "mountain bike" (SPD's) pedals??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Road cyclist using so called "mountain bike" (SPD's) pedals??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-16, 07:32 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Your shoe or your bike doesnt know or care what kind of pedal you are using. With my recumbent bike and trike, I only ride paved trails and roads. I use SPD two sided collegiate pedals on the trike.

Even a fully kitted roadie probably wouldnt point and sneer if you used "mountain bike" SPD pedals.
Old 06-01-16, 08:00 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Time ATAC on all of my bikes, baby!!!!!
Old 06-01-16, 08:09 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Shimano SPD for me (since 2003). Currently have an old set of 520s on my mtb, XTs on my road bike. Can't imagine using anything else, and can't see any reason to. I use shoes with a cf sole plate (rigid), so "hot spots" are a non-issue for me on long rides and I can at least walk across a coffee shop floor without either doing a slip n' fall or the duck walk.
Old 06-01-16, 08:58 PM
leicanthrope

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Yep. I started out cycling as a commuter, and I began the process of equipping myself around that. It made the routine stops at the grocery store that much easier, and so forth. If I were to start again, I might go for a set of "proper" road pedals. As it stands now, I've got a couple sets of expensive SPD pedals and some really nice shoes, and I see no need to waste any of that just for the heck of it.
Old 06-02-16, 07:25 AM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
More shimano here. I have a pair of 520's on my road bike which are fine and a piar of exustar equivalents on another bike that just don't have the quality feel of the shimano proper.

BUT pdm530s are my go to for most of my bikes. The larger platform makes it a bit easier to locate and snap in quicker on takeoffs.
Old 06-02-16, 07:32 AM
martslc

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by katzenfinch
I’ve used SPD cleats and mountain bike pedals for years, but on really long rides on my road bikes they would cause me hot spots and pain. I recently got some SPD-compatible road pedals with a larger contact area, and my feet are much happier. A few weeks ago I used them on a 300K, and my feet felt fine at the end of the ride.
I was wondering about "hot spots" as well but looking at my Speedplays there's a small contact area on them so I was hoping it's not a problem for me. I have neuropathy in my feet and they hurt all the time.
Old 06-02-16, 07:37 AM
martslc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone tried the Shimano "SPD Clickers"?
Old 06-02-16, 07:38 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
I've got SPD-SL on my triathlon bike, and have a specific set of shoes I use for that bike as well.

All my other bikes get plain old SPDs so I can share the same pair of shoes among them. As many others have mentioned, I like the walk-ability of SPD much better, especially since most of my riding is commuting. I find SPD clips in and out much easier as well.

I have a couple bikes set up with the SPD/Platform combo pedals so I have the option of wearing street shoes if I want, but to be honest I probably haven't worn a street shoe on a bike in at least five years. My other bikes have the Shimano M-520s. I do like the fact that I can clip in from either side with the 520s, whereas sometimes with the combo pedals I'm monkeying around trying to get the pedal to flip over.
Old 06-02-16, 07:51 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wittyname
Plenty of us do, no one that I've ever ridden with has ever cared one way or another how I clip in

I'm a fan of Crank Bros Eggbeaters, personally
Same here but when I got my Vector pedals I had to switch to road bike. No difference.
Old 06-02-16, 08:00 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
My iSSi pedals (QBP's house brand) are apparently re-badged Wellgos, and they are superior to 520s in every aspect. I switched from 520s to the iSSi, and have not a single regret.

...which is not a hack against the 520/540. They work fine, and they are indeed cheap. But the end all and be all, they are not.
How are they "superior...in every aspect" considering that they look like clones of Shimano pedals from a few years ago? Also, considering that the cheapest price I can find for them is more than 3 times the cost of a set of M520s, they would have to be far superior to the M520 for me to recommend them or to use them.

I have nothing against going with another brand and have in the past but, in my experience, it's tough to find something as good as the M520 for the price. Even the more expensive Shimano pedals aren't necessarily that much better than the M520. I have had several Wellgo products in the past that just didn't perform that well. I had to search long and hard to find a pair of pedals that weren't Shimano for my non-Shimano bike and I ended up with a set of Xpedo Mountain Force pedals which are good...they are also more expensive...but, honestly, they aren't as good as the cheap Shimanos.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-02-16, 08:02 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by martslc
Has anyone tried the Shimano "SPD Clickers"?
My partner has, she hates "clicky" pedals, but reckons the Click'rs are much easier to use and get out of.
Old 06-02-16, 08:08 AM
martslc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the comments!!!

- What models should I look at when buying? I want ones that clip-in on both sides of the pedal and a cage surface/platform or these ones with (dual click-in) of some sort around them.

Thanks

Last edited by martslc; 06-02-16 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-02-16, 08:10 AM
martslc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
My partner has, she hates "clicky" pedals, but reckons the Click'rs are much easier to use and get out of.
Did she say what she hates about them??? Feel, lack of stiffness?
Old 06-02-16, 08:19 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by martslc
Did she say what she hates about them??? Feel, lack of stiffness?
Kept on forgetting to unclip and falling on her arse. Click'rs are much easier to get out of (even compared to a completely loose SPD) because the release angle (the amount you need to twist your foot) is much less. Now she can get her foot out at the last second.
Old 06-02-16, 08:21 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
How are they "superior...in every aspect" considering that they look like clones of Shimano pedals from a few years ago? Also, considering that the cheapest price I can find for them is more than 3 times the cost of a set of M520s, they would have to be far superior to the M520 for me to recommend them or to use them.
Three different spindle lengths, better range of tension adjustment (with a visual display, so equal tension can be set easily on all four sides,) cartridge bearings instead of the loose-ball nightmare that exists inside Shimano pedals, ability to use 98A or SH-51 cleats, and if you don't require a longer spindle and like shiny things, they come in 8 colors.

And I repeat-- I'm talking about the Trail pedal, which has the larger "cage" around the clip, much like a Shimano XT/XTR pedal-- and is at a similar price point. I went with the iSSi because Shimano has no options for longer spindles, and I was tired of my heels brushing the chainstays. Well, that and the ease of maintenance.
Old 06-02-16, 08:35 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I rode with SPD mtb pedals and mtb shoes for about 2 years. I found them fine.

I switched to SPD-SL and road shoes a little while back and don't notice much difference on the bike.

Clipping in is a bit easier in the SL because you're not fumbling...essentially I don't get a mis-clip ever. You're either in or you're not, and it's much easier to just put your foot there and bang it in.

Walking is incredibly different. I don't have a problem with walking in the SPD-SL's, it's just that the cleat is plastic...so if you do a fair amount of walking, you're probably better walking in your socks that the SPD-SL's. I've stepped on a few little pieces of gravel while walking and there's noticeable divots in the plastic now.

The airflow in the Shimano RP3's compared to my old LAKE's is night and day. Of course these Shimano shoes can accept with the 3 bolt or the 2 bolt cleat, so that's not really a benefit for 3 bolt vs 2, more or less the road shoe is offering me more breathability than the mtb shoe.

I will say that after about 2 years on the SPD mtb shoes and cleats, and plenty of walking, I can flip them over and they look relatively new. After just a month on the SPD-SL and dropping my sunglasses and having to walk back about 100 feet just once, they are noticeably banged up. They're still mechanically sound, and the cleats are cheap enough that you could replace them every year anyway (about 18-20 dollars for the pair).

I will also add that I have had issues clipping in with the spd mtb pedals before, and after a while hopped back off and found a rock wedged in the cleat...so that might be a minus for them.

But yeah, that's my thoughts on that.
Old 06-02-16, 09:00 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Three different spindle lengths, better range of tension adjustment (with a visual display, so equal tension can be set easily on all four sides,) cartridge bearings instead of the loose-ball nightmare that exists inside Shimano pedals, ability to use 98A or SH-51 cleats, and if you don't require a longer spindle and like shiny things, they come in 8 colors.

And I repeat-- I'm talking about the Trail pedal, which has the larger "cage" around the clip, much like a Shimano XT/XTR pedal-- and is at a similar price point. I went with the iSSi because Shimano has no options for longer spindles, and I was tired of my heels brushing the chainstays. Well, that and the ease of maintenance.
You may have a point on the spindle length, although I have never had a problem with the standard length of Shimano pedals. However, you are incorrect on the bearings of the Shimano pedals. Shimano pedals have used cartridge bearings for ages. I've got (nearly) 15 year old M520s and they have cartridge bearings. I've seldom had to do anything to the Shimano pedals.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-02-16, 09:04 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
You may have a point on the spindle length, although I have never had a problem with the standard length of Shimano pedals. However, you are incorrect on the bearings of the Shimano pedals. Shimano pedals have used cartridge bearings for ages. I've got (nearly) 15 year old M520s and they have cartridge bearings. I've seldom had to do anything to the Shimano pedals.

Okay then.

Old 06-02-16, 09:24 AM
Slash5

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I'm mostly a MTB rider so everything gets SPD. Wish they would offer the M530 in silver. Going to try some in white, see if they fit in visually on a road bike better.
Old 06-02-16, 09:31 AM
OshkoshBiker

Bikes: DB Haanjo Comp, Trek 1.2, Murray MTB, Framed Minnesota 2.0, Top Fuel 8

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I use PD-M324's so I can switch between clipless and platform. They have worked well for when I loan my bike to someone without clipless shoes.
Old 06-02-16, 10:08 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I use these on all of my bikes, from fixed gear to road, to SS MTB to CX gravel bike. I have never had an issue with any of them. One pair is absolutely beat to hell and back and work just as well as the day I got them. The price is hard to beat.

Shimano PD-M520 Clipless Pedal > Components > Pedals > Mountain Pedals | Jenson USA
Old 06-02-16, 11:04 AM
melloveloyellow

Bikes: RitcheyAscent, FisherMontare

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano pedals have used cartridge bearings for ages. I've got (nearly) 15 year old M520s and they have cartridge bearings.
If you've ever svc'd m520s or m540s, you'd find loose BBs. They are well sealed, however.

I've always thought it odd that one would want to handicap oneself w/pure biking shoes & cleats that make walking difficult. Do so many folks want so badly to look like a pro cyclist? IMO these products are for pros who have a team car on hand.
Old 06-02-16, 11:21 AM
ShadowGray
I like my car

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use eggbeaters. They weigh 252g and cost $30. You can't get any more roadie than that kind of weight-oriented thinking.
Old 06-02-16, 01:21 PM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I use these on all of my bikes, from fixed gear to road, to SS MTB to CX gravel bike. I have never had an issue with any of them. One pair is absolutely beat to hell and back and work just as well as the day I got them. The price is hard to beat.

Shimano PD-M520 Clipless Pedal > Components > Pedals > Mountain Pedals | Jenson USA
That is a H*ll of a deal! I just ordered another set! Thanks!
Old 06-02-16, 01:34 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I ride on Shimano M530 pedals and SPD cleats on my Colango. I have been using that system for 6 years and refuse to use road bike pedals because I love the double sided retention system plus the fact that I can walk pretty near normal in MTB shoes vs Road shoes. No one has ever criticized me for using them. Use whatever system you want to. It's your bike.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.