Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Motorcycle helmet for bicycling overkill?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-16, 12:17 PM
yayforebikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So first off I have an ebike that goes up to more or less 20-25mph. I want to protect my head in case I go down. Specifically around my jaw area, because bicycle helmets don't cover the jaw portion. I'm wondering if a motorcycle helmet would be too overkill? I average around like 20mph when I'm commuting, but sometimes I can go as fast as 25mph. I was also looking into getting the BMX style helmets but they are all still much larger than a normal bicycle helmet. Any advice?
Old 06-04-16, 12:35 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I have a scooter style e-bike and also use a motorcycle helmet with it. If it keeps you safe and you are comfortable wearing it then who cares.
Old 06-04-16, 12:50 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
A full on motorcycle helmet will cook your head if you exert a lot of effort on your rides. Something like this splits the difference between a regular bicycle helmet and a motorcycle helmet. Has jaw protection but still offers much more airflow and is lighter than even an open face motorcycle helmet.
Old 06-04-16, 12:53 PM
yayforebikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems that's for children. I will look for something like that, thanks.
Old 06-04-16, 01:28 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
I have a moped. A State law that went into effect a year ago requires moped riders to wear a DOT approved motorcycle helmet. I have been very surprised at the bulk (size) and weight of these m/c helmets. Seems the hardcore motorcycle riders prefer thinner non-approved helmets with counterfeit DOT labels.
Old 06-04-16, 01:39 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Well I would make a comment about law and safety but in another thread several people said nasty stuff about a comment that a bike bell was required by law. So I will remain silent.
Old 06-04-16, 01:52 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
As someone already said, motorcycle helmets are heavy and hot. They are made for holding heads uprights going 60 mph. If you ever pedal your ebike you will quickly be sweating.

Your jaw is one of the last things you need to worry about. Besides bumps on the head, hands and collar bones are injury spots. Unless you are riding cross country a regular helmet is fine. Take a look at pro riders crashing at 25 mph. Most times they get up, shake it off, and continue riding.
Old 06-04-16, 05:10 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Motorcycle helmets typically have no ventillation to speak of and are way too hot to wear if you're working on a bicycle. They're probably OK if you're just letting the auxiliary motor take you places, though.
Old 06-04-16, 11:15 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I often ride in the 20-25mph range on a 100% human powered bicycle. I wear a regular cycling helmet. A motorcycle helmet is absolute over kill.
Old 06-05-16, 05:05 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I think it's overkill. Just buy a bike helmet. Most likely you'll never need that either.
Old 06-05-16, 05:15 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
As a guy who knocked out two front teeth after a fall while playing racquetball, I have to think it is definitely possible to sustain facial/jaw trauma in a cycling spill. The downhill/BMX helmet does look like a possible solution for protecting your face. I think I would be miserable wearing it the other 99.9% of my riding time that is not spent hurting myself.

I would definitely consider it for an ebike since your physical output is minimized by the boost.
Old 06-05-16, 08:56 PM
yayforebikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will take everyone's input into consideration. Majority of you seem to sway on the "regular bicycle helmet" side.
Old 06-05-16, 09:39 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
As far as BMX full face helmets go, they are designed for situations where someone might land on their head. With BMX riders often do jumps and other things getting air including back flips. With road cycling including ebikes, the typical accident involves landing on your side including shoulder and hip.
Old 06-06-16, 08:23 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hot and heavy but do protect better. It's your call and no one else's. Your already riding an e-bike so if your worried about looking cool it ain't gonna happen anyway
Old 06-06-16, 09:37 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by CroMo Mike
I have a moped. A State law that went into effect a year ago requires moped riders to wear a DOT approved motorcycle helmet. I have been very surprised at the bulk (size) and weight of these m/c helmets. Seems the hardcore motorcycle riders prefer thinner non-approved helmets with counterfeit DOT labels.
The DOT label is a joke. It is all a self-certification process by the manufacturers that their helmets meet DOT requirements, with little to no oversight on the process at all. I found a nice Arai helmet when I had a motorcycle that technically wasn't street legal, while it was SNELL and ECE certified it didn't have the DOT sticker, hence the state found it less safe than something I could eBay from China for $9.

Originally Posted by raceboy
As a guy who knocked out two front teeth after a fall while playing racquetball, I have to think it is definitely possible to sustain facial/jaw trauma in a cycling spill. The downhill/BMX helmet does look like a possible solution for protecting your face. I think I would be miserable wearing it the other 99.9% of my riding time that is not spent hurting myself.

I would definitely consider it for an ebike since your physical output is minimized by the boost.
I laid down said motorcycle once, around 40-45MPH, and was damn glad I had a full face mask on. No doubt in my mind my face would have been destroyed when I faceplanted and then bounced my head a second time into the pavement, instead of just dealing with a swollen nose for a few weeks. That said, I can't imagine wearing such a helmet on a bicycle, even if I occasionally approach those speeds.

All your call in the end, though. No one can make a decision on your safety equipment but you.
Old 06-06-16, 09:59 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I face planted in a motorcycle crash many years ago and wore a full face helmet thereafter. I wouldn't consider it riding a bicycle as the heat and weight would render riding nearly impossible and extremely unpleasant. However, if you're riding an e-bike and effectively using it as a low powered scooter, you're dealing with a different dynamic and it might be viable.
Old 06-06-16, 10:37 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by CroMo Mike
Hardcore motorcycle riders like full face DOT approved helmets to protect the most important part of the nervous system, the outside noisy, inside empty types like to show the world they don't have anything worth protecting by wearing a bandana or the NOT helmets.
Old 06-06-16, 10:51 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Take a look at pro riders crashing at 25 mph. Most times they get up, shake it off, and continue riding.
A few things:

A) The ProTour peloton is overwhelmingly riding on brand new repaved virgin road surfaces. Which means if you go down you're going to slide on it, unlike most road surfaces everyone everywhere has to deal with

B) Speed. Higher speed you tend to get (badly as in need a hospital) injured less, as (due in part to A), you bleed off speed by sliding rather than breaking bones. Days 1-3 of Grand Tours frequently have lots of injuries in stupid slow speed bottleneck peloton induced accidents....and overwhelmingly those slow speed accidents are broken bones, because the rider was going too slow to slide to dissipate energy...and instead dissipated the KE via bone breakage. This year there have been several bad face injuries on curbs and roads come to think of it.
Old 06-06-16, 10:54 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Wow. 25 miles per hour. That's crazy.
Old 06-06-16, 12:05 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Wow. 25 miles per hour. That's crazy.
Gee, I managed 24 mph the other day with only pedals.........
Old 06-06-16, 10:47 PM
johndeere
F.A.I.C.G

Bikes: 1974ish John Deere black men's road bike, Aluminum MTB for Winter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to wear a hard shell BMX/skate boarder helmet, a Bell Faction. Due to my own stupidity I did an endo into the pavement at approx 15 mph. The outside of the helmet was gouged about half it's thickness and the liner broke into 3 pieces. I had a face shield on the helmet, don't like getting rain on the glasses and bugs suck, it's the only reason I didn't lose the tip of my nose. I have a 1 x 2 inch scar on the side of my elbow that will never go away.

But what really sucked was growing whiskers through the large thick scab on my chin.

These days I wear a full face down hill helmet. It actually has better ventilation than the Faction had. I regularly hit 20 mph so it does not heat me up that badly.

Last edited by johndeere; 06-07-16 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Typeo
Old 06-06-16, 11:05 PM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I ride an ebike and in winter I use this
[HJC CL-33 Open Face Helmet - RevZilla
Old 06-06-16, 11:08 PM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Or this in summer.
https://www.purehockey.com/bauer-m10...6w0aAusq8P8HAQ
Old 06-07-16, 07:28 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 2702
While I suppose it is better than nothing, hockey helmets and bike helmets fulfill two completely different roles. A hockey helmet is mostly protection against fast flying rubber pucks, errant sticks, and falling down at low speeds, and is built to do so over the course of years. It is essentially no different than a glorified hard hat. A bike helmet dissipates the energy of a head impact at high speed one time, and is then junked.