Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing bottom bracket: DIY or take it to the LBS?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16, 08:54 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts

Hi there,

My bottom bracket on my road bike needs replacing, but I've never done this before. My expertise on bike mechanics is pretty basic, but I can adjust and install a derailleur, service the freewheel and bearings on my rear wheel, change tires, adjust brakes, etc. So I'm not a complete novice.

Its a BMC SLC01, with Dura Ace 7800 crankset. From what I gather I need:
- a Dura Ace english threaded 68mm bottom bracket such as this: Shimano Dura-Ace SM-BB9000 Bottom Bracket | Competitive Cyclist
- I'll also need a bottom bracket tool: Bottom Bracket Tool | Park Tool

Any other specific tools I need?

Should I try to replace the bottom bracket myself? Or should I leave it to the experts? I am looking to save some money by doing it myself, but is there a big chance of me doing something wrong in the process? (I also need to buy the tools involved, so I guess the savings are negated right there, but I could learn something in the process).

Thanks!
Old 06-06-16, 08:56 AM
jonpear6

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Fargo, 1979 Viner Special Professional, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This first time for you I would take it to the LBS and ask if you can watch. Note what they do and do not grease, clean, etc. Most any LBS will let you watch. From then on do what you are comfortable with.
Old 06-06-16, 08:58 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Doing a job once that requires specialty tools is indeed not a cost savings compared to having a shop do it. However, once you have the tools (and learn how to use them) subsequent jobs are a lot cheaper.
Old 06-06-16, 08:58 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
How do you know your BB is shot?

Further what year frameset are we talking? Odds are you do NOT have a threaded BB 68mm BB. It is probably BB86 or some such.
Old 06-06-16, 08:59 AM
Phlorida

Bikes: 17 Spot Acme, 14 Lynskey Peleton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a look at the instructions on the Park Tool website and see what your comfort level is. If you are willing to buy the tool there really isn't much to it.
Old 06-06-16, 09:13 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
I am forever amazed that bike shops allow for this as it takes business away from them.
Keeping people in the dark is not the solution, but teaching them so they dont come back seems counterintuitive.
Old 06-06-16, 09:22 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
How do you know your BB is shot?

Further what year frameset are we talking? Odds are you do NOT have a threaded BB 68mm BB. It is probably BB86 or some such.
If it's a 7800, that's from a time before BB86/press-fit were so common, so it most likely a HT2, which are probably the easiest BB's going to user service, all you need is a Park BBT-9 and a Hex key for the crank arm
Old 06-06-16, 09:28 AM
JohnnyCyclist
Poseur Extraordinaire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your mechanic skill level is about the same as mine. No-brainer decision for me: I'd take it to the LBS. I don't have the specialty tools or knowledge.

For me, this task would need to be done very rarely, so I personally wouldn't ask to watch-and-learn.
Old 06-06-16, 09:28 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do it yourself it's not that difficult and mistakes are a learning experience for next time. Just take your time and pay attention to the order all parts come off and replace them the same way.
Old 06-06-16, 09:29 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
It costs extra to watch
Old 06-06-16, 09:31 AM
FullGas

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
as long as you're willing to invest in the appropriate tool, swapping out a BB is pretty easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZNJM1Hi7jc
Old 06-06-16, 09:48 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I am forever amazed that bike shops allow for this as it takes business away from them.
Keeping people in the dark is not the solution, but teaching them so they dont come back seems counterintuitive.
It is called "customer service".

There is more to staying in business than extracting every possible cent out of your customers; if they sense this is your approach they WON'T come back.

Treat them right and with respect and they WILL come back.
Old 06-06-16, 10:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
It is called "customer service".

There is more to staying in business than extracting every possible cent out of your customers; if they sense this is your approach they WON'T come back.

Treat them right and with respect and they WILL come back.
Completely agree that service brings people back.
I frequent a couple shops almost exclusively because of knowledgeable employees who are helpful. dont charge for a handful of brake cable caps. Dont charge for pulling off a stuck pedal that even a vice couldnt extract. Its appreciated and they do good work, so I go to them.
What you say applies for sure.

Showing a customer how limit screws work(referencing another thread) is a benefit because the customer can do it and not bring the bike into the shop in the future since thats an adjustment that would be made right then and there and probably not charged. That provides the customer with knowledge, shows them the shop cares and is helpful, and also saves both parties time in the future.

But not everything is that way nor should it be.
Old 06-06-16, 10:24 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Piece of cake with the right tools and online videos.
Old 06-06-16, 10:30 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
HT II is so simple, a caveman can do it. It's one of those designs that makes you wonder why it wasn't thought up first, it's just that elegant.

Don't sideload the bearings by overtightening the "dust cap", and you'll be golden. That end-cap is for bearing pre-load tension, and should basically be finger-snug, just so there's no play. Actually clamping it down will side-load the bearing, and cause clicking and grinding.

Everything else is entirely self-explanatory. Nashbar makes a wrench for the bottom bracket that is perfectly adequate.
Old 06-06-16, 10:31 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Bottom bracket bearings seem to be a "consumable" item these days, maybe every few years. So it might be worth learning how to swap it.

If my crank seems rough or noisy, I'll take off the chain (I have a Sram quick link). Then remove the crankset. BUT--make sure you know how to put the crank back on correctly and adjust the bearing pre-load. You may need a tool for the preload end cap. It's not hard, but the adjustment method depends on the crankset.

I don't remove the bottom bracket. With the crank off, I can turn the inner bearings by hand, and feel for roughness. Both sides should feel smooth and turn easily. If either side grinds, I'll replace it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Adapters can be difficult

My bike has a pressed-in "PF30 to threaded" adapter for Ultegra cranks. It's nylon, including nylon threads for the adapter. I found it quite tricky to screw in the new threaded aluminum bottom bracket without cross-threading. (I think the LBS may have cross threaded, backed out, and reinstalled, which mangled the fine adapter threads a little.)

Last edited by rm -rf; 06-06-16 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-06-16, 11:01 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If it's anything like a SRAM GXP, go for it. Dead simple to do.

I did my first one last week during a build it was was really easy.
Old 06-06-16, 11:17 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I say buy the park tool and have at it. Full steam ahead! BB service is a good thing to learn and yours looks really easy to replace. Just check Shimano's online info for the specific BB you have. Some BB's specify a torque so that and any other info is good to know beforehand. Mine are the older ones requiring the big splined tool with another to hold it on. Still not a big deal once I had the right tools. To be honest, you probably could get away with a channel lock plier and a rag. But nothing beats the right tool and its only $27-30 online.
Old 06-06-16, 11:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
buy the tools the Bottom Bracket Tool | Park Tool

+ 3/8 drive breaker bar/ ratchet to get it off & a torque wrench to put it back on.. I'd get a 1/2'' torque wrench + a 1/2 - 3/8 adapter to be mid scale

Tight enough spec with a 3/8 torque wrench is just past the scale peg.

torque wrenches .. 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2" drive each have their own range.
Old 06-06-16, 11:40 AM
skimaxpower

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Its a BMC SLC01, with Dura Ace 7800 crankset. From what I gather I need:
- a Dura Ace english threaded 68mm bottom bracket such as this: Shimano Dura-Ace SM-BB9000 Bottom Bracket | Competitive Cyclist
- I'll also need a bottom bracket tool: Bottom Bracket Tool | Park Tool
The BB9000 would work fine. It's very nice and very light. You can use any shimano "hollowtech 2" bottom bracket though. There are cheaper options than the Dura-Ace model.

I prefer the Park BBT-9 tool over the one you linked to. It's cheaper, comes with an appropriately sized handle making it difficult to over-torque, and it includes the tool to tighten the pre-load cap.

This is an easy repair with lots of good documentation online. I say do it yourself.
Old 06-06-16, 12:00 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Thanks for the helpful comments guys. I think I'm going to do it myself! It does look pretty straightforward watching some Youtube videos on it.

Originally Posted by skimaxpower
The BB9000 would work fine. It's very nice and very light. You can use any shimano "hollowtech 2" bottom bracket though. There are cheaper options than the Dura-Ace model.

I prefer the Park BBT-9 tool over the one you linked to. It's cheaper, comes with an appropriately sized handle making it difficult to over-torque, and it includes the tool to tighten the pre-load cap.

This is an easy repair with lots of good documentation online. I say do it yourself.
Thanks for the tip, I will try that Park Tool BBT-9, looks like the one they are using in this helpful video too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGzCHGjTDRM

Thats good to know: Would this bracket work as well?: Shimano Ultegra 6800 Bottom Bracket Cup Set BBR60

What would be the difference between the Ultegra and Dura Ace? The claimed weight is the same.. would the Dura Ace be more durable?
Old 06-06-16, 12:06 PM
skimaxpower

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ The Ultegra BB weighs 8 grams more and is half the price. They are both equally compatible with your crankset. You pick.
Old 06-06-16, 12:29 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
Only perform this service if you're sure you need it. Cartridge bearings don't need care until they need replacement. They need replacement when they stop working. If yours works, leave it alone.

@mstateglfr, I've worked as a shop mechanic and was generous with knowledge. I taught customers up to the point that they wanted to listen. Some want to learn a lot; some don't. If I teach them too much, they end up not using the knowledge, but they appreciate the way I've treated them. They become loyal. If they get in over their heads, it's not my fault, and I was always there for them anyway, whether I taught them or not. So it's better to err on the side of teaching them too much rather than too little.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-06-16, 12:37 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Thanks for the helpful comments guys. I think I'm going to do it myself! It does look pretty straightforward watching some Youtube videos on it.

Thanks for the tip, I will try that Park Tool BBT-9, looks like the one they are using in this helpful video too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGzCHGjTDRM

Thats good to know: Would this bracket work as well?: Shimano Ultegra 6800 Bottom Bracket Cup Set BBR60

What would be the difference between the Ultegra and Dura Ace? The claimed weight is the same.. would the Dura Ace be more durable?
I have that BBR60 BB on two bikes, and it's a great BB, light and of high quality construction. I doubt the Dura-Ace is significantly better, but both are low cost items, so you won't be massively out of pocket going for the DA version.

One thing to note about the BBR60 is that it requires an adapter to work with the BBT-9 tool, as it is smaller than previous Shimano BSA bottom brackets. The adapter takes the form of a plastic insert, that goes into the BBT-9 and reduces the size of it. I own two of these adapters because they came with the two BBR60 BBs that I have purchased.
Old 06-06-16, 12:53 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I would think anyone who can change pedals and has access to YouTube can replace this BB. IIRC, one side is left handed thread the other is standard, same as pedals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.