Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Question about pedalling

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Question about pedalling

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-16, 08:38 AM
garbagehead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question about pedalling

Hey again,

I'll try to explain this best I can. Normally pedalling up hills is hard work, legs get tired, especially the quads. Let's call this type A pedalling. This occurs when I pedal butt back, use the glutes, small front ring, control breathing, etc...all the stuff we do or are supposed to do.

I also at times find a sort of type B pedalling, in which it seems somehow my power is uncommon, I can large ring it up a shorter 4-6% gradient in which each pedal stroke seems connected up the leg all into the lower the back and the power is just flowing without hard breathing. I almost feel like I'm sitting back in a lounge chair or on a bench press. When type B pedalling feels like it kicks in, I can it seems easily blow past people who are small ringing it up. That said I don't have the power to hold Type B on climbs that are about 1-2k long.

Type B is not that common, it seems I have to be pretty warmed up for it to occur, and I don't seem to be able to predict when I might have it.

Ok, Questions:
1.) Is type B pedalling the sort of pedalling that pros use?
2.) Does the type B pedalling mean I'm actually pedalling more correctly in which the glutes are activated as they should be?

Followup Question:
3) If the answer to question 2 above is yes, I've been doing glute strengthening and activation exercises, squats, sideways band steps, bridges. Should I be doing anything else while riding to help engage the glutes to tap into the type B pedalling?

Thanks again in advance everyone for your great advice! I can't wait to hear what you say or if you've discovered something similar.
Old 06-19-16, 08:47 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Use both, mix it up, since standing and powering isn't sustainable on long climbs.

I've found that getting into the drops on shallow climbs and pushing at threshold power engages the glutes too.
Old 06-19-16, 08:53 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

You can also modify the force direction on your trainer to target glute activation for hills like this

Last edited by f4rrest; 06-19-16 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-19-16, 09:48 AM
ckindt

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
You can also modify the force direction on your trainer to target glute activation for hills like this https://i.imgur.com/sIhvjAol.jpg
Explain contraption please.
Old 06-19-16, 11:04 AM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With the exception of neuromuscular efforts (sprints), I've found the best exercises to improve a certain type of cycling effort is more cycling with that type of effort. Basically, I've only gotten stronger on the bike by actually riding my bike.
Old 06-19-16, 11:12 AM
dorkypants

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Glutes and hamstrings are larger muscles than quads and should last longer for climbs. I find a few visualization techniques useful for engaging the glutes and hamstrings: (a) visualize power coming from my hip joints rather than my legs, (b) keep my heels pressed against the backs of my shoes, (c) try to keep my feet "light" rather than pressing down on my pedals with them.
Old 06-19-16, 11:21 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
WAY TOO MUCH thinking for me.
Old 06-19-16, 12:43 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
^ This exactly. Also just ride to get stronger. All that stuff to make your glutes stronger isn't nearly as effective as plain riding. If you want to do stuff like bridges, squats, etc., those are good as part of overall fitness and conditioning but won't do much to make you a faster rider.
Old 06-19-16, 12:50 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
You only need to activate the glutes when you're trying to drop someone. When you're just cruising you should deactivate them. You don't want them activated the entire time.
Old 06-19-16, 12:52 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
^ This exactly. Also just ride to get stronger. All that stuff to make your glutes stronger isn't nearly as effective as plain riding. If you want to do stuff like bridges, squats, etc., those are good as part of overall fitness and conditioning but won't do much to make you a faster rider.
+1. All that heavy work on your legs and subsequent recovery takes away from quality cycling time. Just mix it up on the bike to target different muscles, i.e. grind up a hill at 50RPM and 90-100% of threshold power.
Old 06-19-16, 01:04 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just spin , at somewhere 80 or more rpm , IMO that is all that matters , hills or none .
Old 06-19-16, 01:18 PM
FullGas

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
the only types of pedaling I use is while seated or out of the saddle...
Old 06-19-16, 02:58 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Originally Posted by StanSeven
For most of us riding more is the answer, but if you have or develop a muscle imbalance and you repeat the pattern grinding away on the bike it will become ingrained, other muscles will compensate, and just riding more can lead to an overuse injury in the compensating muscles. It happens in very experienced runners and cyclists.

The reason I mention this is that the glutes can be easily inhibited in cyclists, and the need for overall fitness and balance is worth repeating.
Old 06-19-16, 03:02 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Originally Posted by gregf83
+1. All that heavy work on your legs and subsequent recovery takes away from quality cycling time. Just mix it up on the bike to target different muscles, i.e. grind up a hill at 50RPM and 90-100% of threshold power.
This is true. If you're doing 200 mile weeks, then you might only be able to handle 1 gym session/week and maybe only 1 or 2 sets of a single leg exercise, depending on age and training load.
Old 06-19-16, 03:08 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Originally Posted by ckindt
Explain contraption please.
Resistance band wrapped around stem then looped over a PVC pipe tied to the bars. Hook the bands into inversion boots that are clamped onto your calves upside down. Clip in and ride 30 minutes.

The angle of the resistance bands applies a forward force against your normal pedalling motion, and your legs have to push backwards just a tiny bit, recruiting a bit more of the glutes during the pedal stroke. It's like the "scraping mud off your shoe" motion. It's not intended to be a strength exercise, but through repetition over a 30 minute session the motor control learns it. (Removing the bands and pedalling normally is a total trip.)
Old 06-19-16, 03:44 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
So, 'A' pedaling is regular pedaling on a long(er) effort which you can hold for a while and 'B' is a short(er), more explosive effort where you go harder but can only hold it for a short period. Well, that's just how things work. It is not about pedaling style, it's just about how much power you're putting out. More power = shorter duration and viceversa.
Old 06-19-16, 05:18 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by garbagehead

I also at times find a sort of type B pedalling, in which it seems somehow my power is uncommon, I can large ring it up a shorter 4-6% gradient in which each pedal stroke seems connected up the leg all into the lower the back and the power is just flowing without hard breathing. I almost feel like I'm sitting back in a lounge chair or on a bench press. When type B pedalling feels like it kicks in, I can it seems easily blow past people who are small ringing it up. That said I don't have the power to hold Type B on climbs that are about 1-2k long.

Type B is not that common, it seems I have to be pretty warmed up for it to occur, and I don't seem to be able to predict when I might have it.

I can't wait to hear what you say or if you've discovered something similar.
Whatever it is, it sounds like you've happened upon a very efficient (if not very sustainable) pedaling situation, and if it's anything like what I've discovered, cadence plays a part, too. What I've found (and like you, not very often and only when well warmed up) is that on certain little hills or ramps, it's mentally easier to accelerate than not to - spinning up from 90 to 110 seems like a better idea than shifting to bigger cogs. It's like I've found some sweet spot of efficiency where everything just clicks and each extra ounce of effort seems to pay double, much like riding on the rivet, but while still sitting back. It's like some muscle fibers suddenly WANT to work, when previously they've been sandbagging or downright resistant. But this is generally on shorter bumps. I can't recall a situation where I've gotten that feeling on a regular hill longer than half, maybe 3/4 of a km.

I haven't experienced the "power flowing without hard breathing, sitting back in a lounge chair" feeling much on real hills, but something like it typically comes on slight grades following a steep bit where I "dialed up the watts" over the very last bit and managed to maintain that same sort of delivery as the grade eased up to something like 1-2% average. But in that case, it's more like a half sprint than a climb, and can go on for a couple of miles.
Old 06-19-16, 09:01 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
I haven't experienced the "power flowing without hard breathing, sitting back in a lounge chair" feeling much on real hills,
Any time I've had that feeling I've eventually realized it's due to a massive tailwind and has nothing to do with the perceived 'fitness miracle' I hoped it was.
Old 06-20-16, 07:48 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think it has to do with the speed and cadence of your attack on the hill. With the proper cadence and momentum sometimes the hill just flies by with little effort. I have yet to be able to find that sweet spot on purpose though but I am getting closer to dialing it in.
Old 06-20-16, 09:37 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 370 Posts
...Just mix it up on the bike to target different muscles, i.e. grind up a hill at 50RPM and 90-100% of threshold power.
my knees said they would vote for Trump if I even considered climbing like that...
Old 06-20-16, 09:37 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
my knees said they would vote for Trump if I even considered climbing like that...
If the force required to climb at 50rpm bothers your knees lifting would likely cause similar pain as the force is higher.
Old 06-21-16, 05:47 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
If the force required to climb at 50rpm bothers your knees lifting would likely cause similar pain as the force is higher.
But in the gym you aren't typically doing 50 reps per minute for several minutes as you would on the bike.
Old 08-26-16, 05:57 PM
Lenkearney

Bikes: Cannon dale t700 touring bike

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dorkypants
Glutes and hamstrings are larger muscles than quads and should last longer for climbs. I find a few visualization techniques useful for engaging the glutes and hamstrings: (a) visualize power coming from my hip joints rather than my legs, (b) keep my heels pressed against the backs of my shoes, (c) try to keep my feet "light" rather than pressing down on my pedals with them.
gonna sound stupid, but what part of the stroke are impacted by the glutes? I thought it was the down stroke up front and have been trying to push down from my butt - not the quads. Is this saying the glutes are really used on the pull at the bottom of the stroke?

Len
Old 08-26-16, 08:13 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If I read the post correctly, Type A is what we call "spinning," and Type B is what we call "mashing." There's a time and place for both.

I personally don't think about what muscles I'm using. I take whatever hill at whatever speed I'm comfortable with in that moment.
Old 08-26-16, 08:47 PM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
You only need to activate the glutes when you're trying to drop someone. When you're just cruising you should deactivate them. You don't want them activated the entire time.
User name checks out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.