Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Indoor training

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-16, 12:24 AM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Indoor training

Anyone else use a Schwinn Airdyne during the winter months to stay in cycling shape? I have been, just wonder how much good it translates into actually staying in shape for cycling.
Old 12-08-16, 07:47 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Anything has to be better than nothing.
Old 12-08-16, 08:25 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Better than nothing. Cardio wise it will help but muscle wise it really does not translate at all.
Old 12-08-16, 08:48 AM
Jackmen

Bikes: 2014 Giant defy advanced 0 with DI-2, 2013 Blue Triad TT Bike, 2015 Fuji Altamira CX 1.3 Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trainers without Zwift are extremely boring and very difficult to do long term. Since I got a smart trainer and got on zwift (one year ago) I now use my trainer on a regular basis during off season and stay in great shape year round.
This would be very difficult with a dumb trainer and watching videos or tv, as it is boring.

On zwift you ride with people from all over the world and compete in races. The competition causes me to push harder than I do in real life rides. Do some research on Zwift.com you will not be dissapoited.
Old 12-08-16, 10:11 AM
Jaxjag
Very Old Newbie

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Carbon

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jackmen
trainers without zwift are extremely boring and very difficult to do long term. Since i got a smart trainer and got on zwift (one year ago) i now use my trainer on a regular basis during off season and stay in great shape year round.
This would be very difficult with a dumb trainer and watching videos or tv, as it is boring.

On zwift you ride with people from all over the world and compete in races. The competition causes me to push harder than i do in real life rides. Do some research on zwift.com you will not be dissapoited.
+1
Old 12-08-16, 12:06 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
What is this off season you speak of? Real riders use wool, fleece, studded tires, fat bikes or some combination of them. And a big cup of HTFU. Todays 17 mile commute was 35 F and some sketchy black ice in the shadows.
Old 12-08-16, 01:10 PM
Jackmen

Bikes: 2014 Giant defy advanced 0 with DI-2, 2013 Blue Triad TT Bike, 2015 Fuji Altamira CX 1.3 Gravel Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
What is this off season you speak of? Real riders use wool, fleece, studded tires, fat bikes or some combination of them. And a big cup of HTFU. Todays 17 mile commute was 35 F and some sketchy black ice in the shadows.

I guess I am not real rider then. Much prefer riding inside on the Smart trainer in zwift.
Old 12-08-16, 02:17 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

^^^ Not really riding, spinning in circles going nowhere? YRMV. I get not everyone like winter pedaling. Options exist. Hike, snowshoe, ski xc or downhill. Get out and do some cross training. Or best, skijoring.
Old 12-08-16, 02:31 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5kdad
Anyone else use a Schwinn Airdyne during the winter months to stay in cycling shape? I have been, just wonder how much good it translates into actually staying in shape for cycling.

Training is what you make of it. I have a bud that rode zwift 25 mile races (?) for most of the summer . He did gain some speed and strength. But I and another partner were riding outdoors 50 miles.

Trading turns at the front it was actually a bit hard to keep up with him but once we hit 35 miles, he was toast!

If he had been training on zwift for 50 miler, he would have been that much better I believe.

So actually it depends on how you train and ride your trainer. One year I made some great gains by doing intervals on my trainer really concentrating on spinning at high reps over 100, and some time trial type intervals.

I do believe that one year I made some great gains as I was indoors working out vs outdoor on the bike shivering and thinking more of freezing my butt off not being able to concentrate on a workout.

So it is what you make of it!
Old 12-08-16, 02:57 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
^^^ Not really riding, spinning in circles going nowhere? YRMV. I get not everyone like winter pedaling. Options exist. Hike, snowshoe, ski xc or downhill. Get out and do some cross training. Or best, skijoring.
I don't really see how any of those keep you in biking shape better than a trainer.
Old 12-08-16, 03:06 PM
Leebo

Cross training. Mixing it up. Time off the saddle still getting exercise. Outside in the winter. Ever xc ski? Crazy aerobic and using all of your muscles. Nope, no good.
Old 12-08-16, 03:07 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
I have a TACX that I ride in winter along with x-country skiing when weather and snow are good. We also ride bikes to lunch, dinner, grocery, etc. I've tried a variety of films, games, and competitions and for me the films do the best job of alleviating boredom. The city films (Paris, London, etc.) and road race courses like Amstel Gold and Flanders are my current favorites though I'll do a mountain climb like Ventoux occasionally.

Mostly keeps cardio in shape but also a bit a muscle tone and keeps flab down.
Old 12-08-16, 04:29 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Cross training. Mixing it up. Time off the saddle still getting exercise. Outside in the winter. Ever xc ski? Crazy aerobic and using all of your muscles. Nope, no good.
I used to XC ski three to four times a week before class when I was at Michigan Tech, which has an excellent trail system that regularly hosted various national championships. It is excellent exercise, but it in no way would keep me in cycling shape any better than working out at a gym, riding a trainer, or playing hockey.

In any case, in most of the country (even where I am at now in usually snowy Michigan), opportunities to regularly XC ski are hardly ubiquitous.

Last edited by jefnvk; 12-08-16 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-09-16, 10:40 PM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I visited with an orthopedic surgeon tonight, who's an avid cyclist. I asked him my question about training with the Airdyne. He said it would built up my quads.
Old 12-10-16, 07:54 AM
edawg55

Bikes: Raleigh Merit 3

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackmen
Trainers without Zwift are extremely boring and very difficult to do long term. Since I got a smart trainer and got on zwift (one year ago) I now use my trainer on a regular basis during off season and stay in great shape year round.

On zwift you ride with people from all over the world and compete in races. The competition causes me to push harder than I do in real life rides. Do some research on Zwift.com you will not be dissapoited.
What smart trainer do you recommend? Since I just bought a road bike not sure I can swing getting one unless I found a really good deal. I'll probably get a gym membership again so I can get the wifey working out again.
Old 12-10-16, 08:13 AM
BelgianAlien

Bikes: Nishiki Maricopa

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a Bkool, loving it so far, I'm sure any smart trainer is better than a regular resistance trainer, and any one of those is better than nothing, if you are like me and don't like to brave the winter cold on 2 tires. How well it translates to real world training and staying in shape? Depends... probably not enough to stay in true competition shape, but good enough to stay in shape fitness-wise.

Leebo: You may not have intended your first response that way, but don't be a hater, man... Great for you that you embrace the winter elements and stay active outdoors, but that's not for everyone.
Old 12-10-16, 10:15 AM
Jackmen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edawg55
What smart trainer do you recommend? Since I just bought a road bike not sure I can swing getting one unless I found a really good deal. I'll probably get a gym membership again so I can get the wifey working out again.
Last year I used the tacx Vortex, which is a smart trainer where you keep the back wheel on. I t works well and sells for 529 including shipping. If you look around you can get them with a performance 20% off sale ands get the price well under $500.

As far as getting you a good shape, I have to say I have better workouts on zwift in the races than I do in real life. The competition, just causes you to push more, so I actually get my heart rate higher and more consistent in zwift, than a real life ride.

Zwift is an amazing tool for staying in shape and keeping weight off.
Old 12-10-16, 11:21 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/RAD-Cycle-Pro...1390319&sr=1-7

any thoughts on this?
Old 12-10-16, 01:22 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackmen
Many cyclists including myself don't race. Why would we race on a trainer? ugh
Old 12-10-16, 05:03 PM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I made great gains last winter doing interval sessions on a 30 ur old, "dumb", wind resistance trainer...sessions were only 20-30 mins each a few times a week, but it really got me stronger, cuz I was working at such hig intensity (all-out sprint intervals).
Old 12-13-16, 08:23 AM
BelgianAlien

Bikes: Nishiki Maricopa

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikejrff

I don't race in real life... but I love racing on my trainer. Don't ask me why, because I don't know. Maybe it's the gamification aspect of riding on a smart trainer...
Old 12-13-16, 08:40 AM
Jackmen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob

Not a smart trainer wont work on zwift.
Old 12-13-16, 08:42 AM
Jackmen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikejrff
I don't do a lot of racing in real life, but on the trainer in zwift, the races cause you to push yourself and get your heart rate up. Its a great experience, and you don't have to worry about any of the intimidation that you get in real life racing.
Old 12-16-16, 08:40 PM
Jaxjag
Very Old Newbie

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Carbon

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I am also a Zwifter and rarely ride with anyone irl but ride in no drop group rides on Zwift. It pushes me to keep up but I don't feel overwhelmed or like I have to kill myself to stay with the group rather than coast or take it easy when I get tired. It just brings out some of the competitive juices I rarely enjoy anymore at age 64. I am "riding" with people all over the world. Its a great workout and very entertaining.