Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shimano components to purchase on line, who has best selection/prices?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-20, 12:31 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts

Ever since Shimano closed the loop on Shimano components from England it appears that the few USA on-line vendors that sell these parts have fewer and fewer sales and no surplus of previous generation spares for either road, mountain or gravel components. I sometimes check Universal Cycles, Jensen USA or Excel Sports but their sales are few and far between it seems.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an online source for Shimano components in the USA with a good inventory and good prices? NOS parts have all but dried up on eBay and those that are available have shot up.,
Likes For masi61:
Old 09-27-20, 12:34 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I just got some Di2 Ultegra shifter/hydraulic brakes for $199 at universal. They are ca. 2014 vintage, but that is still a big discount. You have to shop around, but sometimes deals can be had.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 09-27-20, 02:30 PM
masi61

Originally Posted by wgscott
I just got some Di2 Ultegra shifter/hydraulic brakes for $199 at universal. They are ca. 2014 vintage, but that is still a big discount. You have to shop around, but sometimes deals can be had.

+1 - good find.

It would be nice to find a shop that has inventory or 2014 shift levers or triple chainring sets or chains, for the 10 speed components. Or the 1st generation of 11 speed components without the markup. One can hope, right?
Likes For masi61:
Old 09-27-20, 02:52 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Nashbar has 5703 chainrings in black or silver for reasonable prices.
Old 09-27-20, 03:06 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Check with Excel Sports. Those guys always come through for me. I needed a new Campy 10 speed cassette for Chorus and they had two. Chorus 10 speed cassettes are rare birds nowadays.
Old 09-28-20, 01:30 PM
d4vid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just upgraded to Di2 Ultegra and bought most of my parts from Bikeinn.com (EU) site. good price & fast shipping!
Old 09-29-20, 08:59 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Bought a Shimano CS-HG700 cassette and a Park Tool chain whip from Universal Cycles yesterday. Of the 3 prices I looked at, their price for the cassette was $11 cheaper than the others. The chain whip price was identical all around. Universal also had the lowest shipping price (all offered free shipping if you exceeded spent a certain amount). As an added plus, they ship from 3 locations so shipping time is pretty fast. I ordered on Monday. The items were shipped that day and will arrive via UPS on Wed..

Last edited by oldwinger14; 09-29-20 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-29-20, 05:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Ever since Shimano closed the loop on Shimano components from England it appears that the few USA on-line vendors that sell these parts have fewer and fewer sales and no surplus of previous generation spares for either road, mountain or gravel components. I sometimes check Universal Cycles, Jensen USA or Excel Sports but their sales are few and far between it seems.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an online source for Shimano components in the USA with a good inventory and good prices? NOS parts have all but dried up on eBay and those that are available have shot up.,
There is no 1 singular source for great shimano inventory and pricing. Just use Google and shop around for each item. a crank here, brakes there, derailleurs somewhere else, etc etc.
Merlin still ships shimano to the US, for what its worth.

NOS is a questionable way to consume products.
Old 09-29-20, 09:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I would always look for an authorized retailer ideally local or at least tied to the brick and mortar side of things. In case I need warranty I want to know I have a legit product from a legit source.
Old 09-30-20, 07:59 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by d4vid
I just upgraded to Di2 Ultegra and bought most of my parts from Bikeinn.com (EU) site. good price & fast shipping!
Good to know. I have seen their links at times and with low prices. I just never knew if they were legit.
Old 09-30-20, 08:04 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
There is no 1 singular source for great shimano inventory and pricing. Just use Google and shop around for each item. a crank here, brakes there, derailleurs somewhere else, etc etc.
Merlin still ships shimano to the US, for what its worth.

NOS is a questionable way to consume products.
I just like to use 9 speed and 10 speed era components still. Due to NOS scarcity, I have inadvertently become more of a "collector" and am reluctant to bust NOS parts out of the box. As a result, I often times look for "user grade" parts on eBay. Those were the ones that actually get used! But I do wish I had one or 2 "super" great go-to supply houses.

I thought I checked Merlin's Shimano offerings and thought that only some of them were eligible for shipping to the US while others you get that message that says they are not eligible to ship to the US.
Old 09-30-20, 08:04 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
AliExpress has the most complete selection and the most competitive prices. The wait times can be 45-60 days, though. For a budget build, plan ahead and factor the wait times into the project. It pays off.