Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Ultegra NOISY drivetrain

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-27-20, 11:30 PM
City Guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

Greetings all,

I have a 2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 with Ultegra mechanical, bike is in stock configuration, very low miles, probably les than 300 mi total since I purchased new 1.5 year ago. Simply have not ridden this bike very often.
The drivetrain on this bike is the noisiest I have ever experienced. I have adjusted and re-adjusted the front and rear derailleurs per the Shimano dealer manuals, I have tried different chain lubes including Chain-L among others and even switched to a wax based chain lube (Silca Super Secret) and this made no significant difference. I have even replaced the original KMC chain with a new Shimano 11 speed chain, with original factory lube, then cleaned and applied different chain lubes, and then cleaned and applied the Silca wax. None of these changes made much difference in the noise level. Rear wheel is in true and appears to be properly dished, drop-outs aligned, derailleur hanger properly positioned. Chain length verified to be correct using the big sprocket to big chainring, bypassing the rear derailleur method.

As expected most noise occurs running when cross chaining, especially 52t front chainring and 30t rear cassette, However, most of the larger cassette cogs (5 largest cogs) are very noisy when running on 52t chainring, like the noisiest drive train I have ever experienced. I definitely understand to avoid cross chain configurations, but overall this is a very noisy drivetrain. For comparison I have a 2017 Giant Contend 1 that I upgraded to a 105 groupset, and this bike's drivetrain is quiet even when in cross chain configurations. I have (had) other bikes and when cross chaining, none have been this noisy.

Anyone else out there have this same bike and are you experiencing a very noisy drive train? It seems as if I'm possibly missing the cause, or maybe this particular bike is just going to have a noisy drive train.

Am I missing something obvious? Any ideas what could be causing my issues? Comments, suggestions, advice encouraged and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by City Guy; 09-28-20 at 05:08 AM. Reason: typos corrected
Old 09-28-20, 04:11 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
56t? If that was right (I thought maybe 55t in Dura-Ace, but that can't be right), it'd be likely the FD couldn't go high enough...
Old 09-28-20, 04:51 AM
City Guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Hi Kimmo,

Oooops typo, chain ring is a 52/36. I corrected my posting.

Last edited by City Guy; 09-28-20 at 05:06 AM.
Old 09-28-20, 05:30 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts
Can you describe the noise? My only suggestion is to take it to a shop.
Old 09-28-20, 05:54 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Shoot some vid, catch the noise, bung it on YouTube.