Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dented steel seat tube

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Dented steel seat tube

Old 09-28-20, 08:14 AM
Mir3886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dented steel seat tube

Hi, as the title suggests I’m curious about issues with a small dent on a steel seat tube. I just received a ‘90s steel Serotta TG. Unfortunately the package was damaged in transit and the seat tube lost some paint and there is a slight dent which may have come from other items in the package.
I’ve posted pics of the location, size and depth of the indentation which may be 2MM deep.

Other than cosmetic which I can live with and repair. What’s the probability that it will be fine? Based on searches here and on the internet it seems like the seat tube dents aren’t as concerning form some. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-28-20, 08:27 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Ride the bike. Just like many other things on your bike, this should just become one of the things you look at every so often. When you remember to look at it make certain a crack isn't developing. Though I doubt it will ever become anything.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-28-20, 08:42 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
If it was sold as a 'new old stock' or 'mint condition' collectors item then try to get reimbursed for the damage from the seller or the shipper. Only you can decide what difference this damage makes to the value of the bike.

If this bike is meant for riding then that is 100% not a problem. Some nail polish to keep the bare metal from rusting is all you need. You could use some body filler and try to match the paint, or put a sticker over it. It is purely an aesthetic concern and not a practical or safety one. This opinion is based on the location (far from any tube junctions) and size (quite small) of the damage.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 09-28-20, 08:48 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3857 Post(s)
Liked 6,449 Times in 3,189 Posts
"What’s the probability that it will be fine?"

99.9 percent with a good paint match.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-28-20, 09:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Yeah, they got a point, if this was damaged in shipping you ought to get something for that. Even if the shipper didn't ensure it, there is still a minimum insurance on most all stuff I've shipped. Usually $50 sometimes $100. But depending on whether you paid a premium for NOS or not, then if the seller/shipper can file a claim and get that back and give it to you, then I'd not worry about fixing it.

If you did pay premium for NOS, then maybe you just need a full refund, but then you'll be likely stuck for return shipping. Let us know........... I've never been sure if the person receiving an item damaged from shipping can file a claim since they didn't actually pay and ship it.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-28-20, 09:03 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6932 Post(s)
Liked 10,934 Times in 4,670 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
If it was sold as a 'new old stock' or 'mint condition' collectors item then try to get reimbursed for the damage from the seller or the shipper. Only you can decide what difference this damage makes to the value of the bike.

If this bike is meant for riding then that is 100% not a problem. Some nail polish to keep the bare metal from rusting is all you need. You could use some body filler and try to match the paint, or put a sticker over it. It is purely an aesthetic concern and not a practical or safety one. This opinion is based on the location (far from any tube junctions) and size (quite small) of the damage.
This.

Once you touch it up with some Testor's model paint or nail polish and put on your water bottle cage, it will be almost unnoticeable.

I wouldn't bother with Bondo. More trouble than it's worth, and you'll damage more of the paint when you sand it down to make it smooth.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-28-20, 09:21 AM
Mir3886

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks guys, very helpful and a great sanity check. I’ve ridden my share of dented bikes in the past but never a dented steel seat tube.

I plan on riding this bike a ton as a retro-upgrade so I’m not concerned about a refund and definitely don’t want to send it back.

The seller has been really stand up about it too. He did opt for shipping insurance and is filing a claim. If something comes from it then great if not I still got the frame I wanted.

and yeah, I’ll be checking out nail polish or model paint options.
Old 09-28-20, 02:55 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
What you can do is insert a long rod or ?? inside the seat tube to smooth out the dents. Of course you have to get the rod beyond the water bottle braze-on with a little modification but try this technique used on a motorcycle fork tube. https://45537.activeboard.com/t52500...k-tube-repair/ A machinist friend would be helpful or with any luck, size wise, a wrench socket could be used and ground down on one side but a little imagination can accomplish what you need.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 09-28-20 at 03:00 PM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 09-28-20, 03:00 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Absolutely nothing to worry about except the cosmetic annoyance.

​​​​​​No harm in using a bit of car body filler if you are able to get hold of some paint the right colour.
Likes For guy153:
Old 09-28-20, 03:05 PM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
I think the seat tube will be fine but I would replace the measuring tape. Looks rough.
Likes For Olefeller77:
Old 09-28-20, 08:29 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
From a repair view this would be harder then many dents in a seat tube. First is that the dent in below the upper bottle boss. So any internal device needs to get past this boss. next is that the ST grows in diameter right about at the dent. So any repair has to deal with this added ID capacity too.

Taking the thousand year old medical approach of "do no harm" I'd suggest simple bondo filler and touch up paint. Andy
Old 09-29-20, 06:16 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Touch-up paint for now. When (if) you ever get around to a repaint, you can address it then. Bondo would work, but I've always preferred metal, either brazing rod or body lead.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 10-07-20, 09:16 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I'd fill the "dent" with multiple layers of acrylic nail polish (clear vs reasonable color match) then finish up with a decal or sticker of some sort. Move the bottle cage to the seat tube and you'll be got to go !
Likes For sovende:
Old 10-07-20, 09:46 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,194 Times in 687 Posts
Matching that metallic green will be fun.
Hide it in plain sight.

I'd bondo the dent and then go with a narrow white band around the tube.

Barry
Likes For Barry2: